in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-08-2008 4:22 AM by pdoisy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2008 1:32 AM

Beogram CD50 Question

Hello again.

I recently purchased a Beogram CD50 along with a replacement Beomaster 5500 (found out the first one I purchased had problems with the channels: constant hum, etc.).  Anyway, all from a one owner house, with manuals, no scratch marks (!) on top of either unit.

Anyway, I hook up the CD50, and the first thing I notice is that when the CD disc drawer ejects, there is a VERY noticeable electronic hum, but ONLY for the period of time during which the tray is ejected.  The CDs play perfectly, the sound is WONDERFULLY warm, but the CD drawer has a high pitched whine whenever it ejects.

Is this a normal thing for the CD50?  If not, what on Earth would that hum be?!  I'm assuming it's not something drastic, as the quality of the player is better than anything I've heard.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks again.

- Aaron 

• 02-07-2008 2:51 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Beogram CD50 Question

Not sure - mine certainly doesn't do it. Fear not, those that can will be along shortlyBig Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-07-2008 3:11 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Is the hum coming through the signal way = from the speakers or mechanically from the deck itself ?

You wrote electronically so I suppose the former. The bottom PCB board that houses the power supply and has a cooling fin at the rear is known as a good place to find cracked solders, especially in the rear-most area. That would be something to check. There are a couple of capacitors related to the muting circuit, they tend to go bad. I never heard drawer motor noise coming through before but given the right circumstances of course it can.

Sometimes, different noises can be heard, datasignals etc. Rearranging the cables, especially the ribbon cables sandwiched between the boards when the servo board is closed down, often helps. It's mentioned in an addendum to the service manual and is indeed very true.

I agree, it's a wonderful sound (without the humming). 

The humming and misbehaving Beomaster 5500 needs new capacitors, the hum alone is a good symptom. A kit is available.

Martin

• 02-07-2008 10:55 PM In reply to

Thanks so much.

I have a lot to work on!  Thanks for all the info -- everyone here always amazes me. 

• 02-08-2008 4:22 AM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Hello, is it an electronic hum or a high pitch whine? or both?

In case of high pitch whine, it could be also the mechanics of the tray.

Personally, I had a high pith whine with my CD50 (1984) and I had to change the belt (it has melted and the drive motor was not turning appropriately). An in-dept "cleaning and greasing" of the mechanics is also recommended.

I also recommend to get the service manuals if you decide to open the CD50. They are very helpful and interesting as they let you discover what is deep inside the beast!

Good luck. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)