in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-01-2007 2:19 PM by Kimmy. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-27-2007 9:08 AM

• Pushkin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • London
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

BV8 - my first view and observations

Hi

I have just spent the last hour at my dealer who unpacked a BV8 and hooked it up - have now had a good look and listen to it and have the following observations:

- Looks are subjective and do create strong reactions (dealers admitting they are still getting used to it). The logo which is recessed and can only be seen on an angle is a lot more pleasing than the first 'huge brand' pictures I saw.  Sliver grill is the same material and quality as newer speaker covers and the rest the surfacing is rubberised.  
    - The picture, right next to a BV7, seems to suffer more from glare but picture quality in lower ambient lighting conditions appears to my untrained eye very similiar. 
    - Less subjective is the sound which is very impressive indeed (and will really challenge all of the bacic range TVs below BV7).  IMO the sound is good enough to use as a stereo in a smallish link room and I will use it as a visual way of controlling itunes via ML, beoport and BS3 for bedrooms
    - Pricing - UK dealers have had to revise original pricing down by £350 on instruction from HO - smallest TV now £1650 with no toys - with ML and most stands about £2000.  

So, still expensive no doubt, but with ML added and with the quality of the sound in particular makes a proposition for itself as a reasonable link TV - one which I will try out in one of my bedrooms. 
  • 04-27-2007 9:43 AM In reply to

Re: BV8 - my first view and observations

Where did you see the TV?

Glad to see they've lowered the price, but shame there is not digital tuner option.

Filed under:
  • 04-27-2007 9:48 AM In reply to

• Pushkin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • London
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

B&O in Knightsbridge, London
  • 04-27-2007 10:03 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

what is the sound like compared to the BL7-1?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-27-2007 10:20 AM In reply to

thanks for input!
  • 04-27-2007 10:21 AM In reply to

• Pushkin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • London
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Not in the same league as the 7.1 but better than its size would suggest and better imo than the 6-26
  • 04-27-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

wtlc2zpx:

Where did you see the TV?

The Bath B&O store have a BV8 on display, too. I think it's ok. I like the rubberised feel and sound is good, too. Would make a good TV for the bedroom or as a media unit in an office environment. 

• 04-27-2007 11:48 AM In reply to

Pushkin:
    Not in the same league as the 7.1 but better than its size would suggest and better imo than the 6-26

I thought the BV8 was an entry level so as not to outstage the BV6 - do you think it will price the BV6 out of the market? 

• 04-27-2007 12:10 PM In reply to

• Pushkin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • London
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

There is a reasonable possibily it may upstage the BV6 - time will tell - it certainly has for me.
  • 04-27-2007 12:49 PM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

i'm really waiting for the BV8 in France !

Do you think the 32" version can be a replacement of my BV3-32" ?

I really like the design and the stand program.

And apparently, the sound could be superior to the BV3 !

• 04-27-2007 1:52 PM In reply to

In a number of places in the UK obviously.

I have just seen the BV8 for the first time in a different UK dealer. I agree the sound is fantastic but I cannot see it eclipsing the BV6 simply due to its overall feel. It is obviously a low end TV looking and feeling of plastic and with no AR filter on the screen.

Overall I quite like it and it looks a lot better in person, but it is still far too expensive. It needs to drop in price a bit more and have a DVB tuner before I would be able to consider it, considering I just got a 26" Sony with built in DVB for £600.

Nicholas
  • 04-27-2007 1:58 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: In a number of places in the UK obviously.

Based on what I've seen so far in pictures and from this forum, if they added an extra HD connection, and the option for a  DVB/DAB tuner, then it would seem like the right TV for me (my Philips LCD is very poor, and intermittantly takes about 3/4 minutes to produce a picture).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-27-2007 7:24 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Alex:
    ...my Philips LCD is very poor, and intermittantly takes about 3/4 minutes to produce a picture...

this sounds like you are the perfect costumer for a BV8, as you absolutely need one. Write a letter to Struer. Wink

• 04-28-2007 6:05 AM In reply to

Alex:
    Based on what I've seen so far in pictures and from this forum, if they added an extra HD connection, and the option for a  DVB/DAB tuner, then it would seem like the right TV for me (my Philips LCD is very poor, and intermittantly takes about 3/4 minutes to produce a picture).

How many HD connections do you want?  it has 2 plus a VGA socket for PC or BeoMedia connection.  Remember this is a small screen.

• 04-28-2007 10:02 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

just came back from my dealer. he has two BV8, one wall-mounted, the other standing on a board. It looks much better in flesh than on the pictures that were shown on the old forum. It did not look "plastic" or cheap to me. It sure has not the style of a BC6 or a BV7, but it still looks very good. The logo, about which lots of people complained can hardly be seen, only from a certein angle. It will be around 2600€ with ML here in Luxembourg.

• 04-28-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

Hmm are you sure that price are incl AV kit?

Here in sweden it is 3200EUR incl ML,extra scart and Link TV 

• 04-28-2007 11:35 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

....mr anders(son):

no, i'm not sure about that. have to ask. but normally, prices are lower over here, as the VAT is only 15%.

• 04-28-2007 11:39 AM In reply to

I saw the BV8 today and was quite impressed. I do like the 'shelf' and the floor stand. Visually it seemed brighter than the BV6 26 and the BV7 32 in my opinion. It's a shame the B&O logo isn't really on full display, but when you do see it, it's good.

The sound was very impressive. For the size of room this TV is designed for, the sound will be very rich and accompanied by some BL6000s or similar would make it even better. However my dealer's price is still £1900 without stand. Is this the same for you guys? 

• 04-28-2007 11:45 AM In reply to

tom:
    ....mr anders(son):

no, i'm not sure about that. have to ask. but normally, prices are lower over here, as the VAT is only 15%.

Lucky youWink 

• 04-28-2007 11:47 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Henry:
    ...I do like the 'shelf' and the floor stand...

i like the look of the floor stand, but i'm a little concerned about it's capacities. I haven't seen it in flesh, but it does not look very stable to me...

• 04-28-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

Henry:

I saw the BV8 today and was quite impressed. I do like the 'shelf' and the floor stand. Visually it seemed brighter than the BV6 26 and the BV7 32 in my opinion. It's a shame the B&O logo isn't really on full display, but when you do see it, it's good.

The sound was very impressive. For the size of room this TV is designed for, the sound will be very rich and accompanied by some BL6000s or similar would make it even better. However my dealer's price is still £1900 without stand. Is this the same for you guys? 

£1867 here in sweden 

• 04-28-2007 12:01 PM In reply to

So it's about the right price with you in Sweden.

I saw the floor stand and it has the same matt / rubbered coating as the edge of the TV. The base is quite big so I doubt it will fall over, but I think at the bottom of the column of the stand, the wires just appear, so unless your mains connection is right at the bottom of the stand, you will have a bit of visable wiring.

Considering the floor stand is also an extra £200, maybe the cabinet stand (which I believe is standard) will be more popular. That one also allows you to tilt the TV upwards or downwards for a better viewing angle.

• 04-28-2007 3:40 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Just saw it today

Well, I saw it at my the store in Bath today, and I'm really, REALLY impressed.

I think the design is the most distinctive of any small LCD TV on the market, and the performance is also fantastic. I think on more level than one the performance is better than the BeoVision 7. Despite it's smaller size, it's easy to see that the BeoVision 8's upscaling is far better than the BeoVision 7's, and there is far less motion blurring and shadowing.

The sound is absolutely fantastic as well, better than the BeoCenter 6 from what I could tell (although I didn't get a chance to listen to it properly). Not sure what the 'Position' function does in the sound setup menu though...

Also, I ranted on and on a few days ago about how the connections were so limited and it was a waste, but I was VERY VERY wrong.

There is a component connection, HDMI and an X-VGA which is more than enough for a small TV IMO. That means I can connect my xbox 360, upscaling DVD player (not that it's needed, the upscaling is fantastic), and Apple TV when I get one.

2007 is going to be a very expensive year for me Laughing

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-28-2007 4:16 PM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Re: Just saw it today

This BeoVision 8 seems fantastic !

I hope it's gonna be rapidely here, in France.

I'm glad to hear that the picture and sound quality is very fine.

Did you saw the picture with SD source ? Was it OK ? 

• 04-28-2007 4:22 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Just saw it today

Standard Definition picture is fantastic! More of the same upscaling you see in the BeoSystem 3....

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >