in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-28-2008 3:45 PM by Keith Saunders. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2008 9:53 AM

Missing / intermittently available sources in BeoPort

Hi everyone, has anyone seen a problem like the following before?

I recently bought the BeoPort kit and installed it successfully connected to / running on my iMac (running OSX Leopard) on Windows XP running on a Parallels Virtual Machine (I also have it working directly with iTunes on 'native' OSX using Anders Odlund's BM-Link software and it works fine).

My setup doesn't have an IR eye or any active speakers connected to the BeoPort box because my iMac is in a room that is already served by an IR eye and a set of passive speakers linked back to my main system (a BeoSound 9000) via a Beolink Passive box.

After the initial install of the software in the XP Virtual Machine, everything worked fine and I was able to see and use all my sources ie CD, RADIO etc as well as the 'PC' sources (N.RADIO, N.MUSIC, PC-CD etc), all via the PC Control Bar. However, after restarting the system, I seem to have lost all the 'non-PC' sources (CD, RADIO etc). Somehow the system is not detecting that they are there. Everything else is working fine. I was wondering if I had a faulty connection, but as everything works in native OSX mode (eg the track names etc are communicated back to the 9000's display), I don't think it can be that.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Michael 

• 01-25-2008 1:12 PM In reply to

Re: Missing / intermittently available sources in BeoPort

When you boot your PC and the Beoport software start, one of the first things the software does is send a signal from the Beoport box onto the Masterlink requesting and detecting products available, if there is time-out, then the Beoport assumes there are no sources available.

In other words if your Masterlink is locked up (software wise) or you have a connections problem on the Masterlink, then you will get this symptom.

I suggest your first step is to power down at the mains switch all products connected to the Masterlink, leave it off for a few minutes and then switch them on again.

Regards Keith....

• 01-26-2008 12:24 PM In reply to

Keith, many thanks for such a fast reply. I really appreciate it. I have tried powering down the system and then up again, but without success. However, your advice plus some other posts I have read suggests a number of other things I can check related to my masterlink cabling. My system has grown bit by bit over time and I've got a bit of a mixture of connections made at different times - I have some of the small 4-way junction boxes and also the posher 6-way one with proper sockets (which I just added in order to make the BeoPort connection). I wonder if one of my older manually made connections in one of the small junction boxes might be faulty. I think I might get myself a long well-terminated ML cable and use it to bypass the various connectors in turn to see if I can isolate the problem that way. One other question - is there any way to adjust the wait period for a response to the polling from the BeoPort box to give it a bit longer, or is that a naive question?

Thanks again, perhaps I could post back when I've run some more tests.

Michael  

• 01-27-2008 3:22 AM In reply to

Michael,

You cannot change the polling time, in fact it is less polling and more handshake. It puts a request out on the Masterlink for control of the bus and the device currently in control of the bus sends a signal to give it up and your Beoport is not getting these signals.

I suggest that you disconnect the the Masterlink at the point of the first device leaving just the Beoport and that first product.

Regards Keith....

• 01-28-2008 2:44 PM In reply to

Keith, problem solved, I think.

I tested the various links with a reliable ML cable, bypassing the various connectors and devices, but could not locate the problem. So then I went back to your second suggestion, ie that the ML might be locked up software-wise. This proved to be the problem...I found that I had forgotten to suspend the BM-Link software before loading the Virtual Machine running XP, hence it did not automatically connect to the USB connected to the BeoPort as that was still owned by BM-Link. To fix it all I had to do was suspend the BM-Link software and connect the VM to the USB device and all my sources appeared immediately without even a reboot of the VM. I am sorry to have wasted your time on such an oversight, but I wouldn't ever have located the problem without your advice so many thanks for helping me out.

Best regards

MIchael

• 01-28-2008 3:45 PM In reply to

Michael,

We are always happy to help if we can.. I am very pleased everything is working now.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)