in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-16-2008 1:05 PM by magnushj. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2008 2:47 PM

• Artimes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Hengelo/Netherlands
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Beovision Avant 28" can not be turned on from stand-by mode

Since a few months I’m the happy owner of a 2hand Beovision Avant 28” VCR 50Hz/MK-I/MK-II, type 8111 (yes, a pretty old one J). The set was equipped with a new tube (as was said to me by the private person who sold the set to me).

After installing the Beovision at my home, sometimes the screen turned out to be reddish or greenish. This was simply solved by me by softly hitting the PCB on the back of the tube. Then I repaired the VCR and everything was function in good order, until… yesterday, when the screen turned greenish again.

To solve the problem I softly moved the PCB on the back of the tube again (as usual), but now suddenly the screen turned black and the set switched off with a “bang”. Switching on again did put the Beovision in stand-by, but it can not be turned on. It is possible to turn on in VCR-mode and in that mode you have access to the (service)menus. There’s no image, even not in VCR-mode. The VCR itself can not be started. The volume as seen on the red display can be changed but there’s no sound (as there is no image). Also the stand-function is working well. Although there is no TV image, teletext shows a black page “P100”.

Initially, in service mode, the last TV error showed “8A-1” and after several times switching off and on it showed “DF”. I did reset this “DF” message to find out if a new failure would come up, but last TV error now stays on “NO”. Last ML/SL error shows “CI”.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong or what can be done? Is it a power-supply? Is it the tuner that is defective? Or anything else?

I look forward to response on my questions, because I’m eager to have my Beovision working again (at not to high costs…). Just to be complete, I’m living in the town Hengelo in The Netherlands (and my wife is asking me often when the set will be repaired again L)

• 01-23-2008 4:41 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision Avant 28" can not be turned on from stand-by mode

Well, i would be very suspicious about the tube....did the seller only say it had a new tube or did he prove it ?
    The changing colours with a T8111 usually only leads to the same old song....
    Also the switching off with a 'bang' is part of that.
    If you can't return it to the seller, you could open the tv and check the tube label; either on the lft side covered by a black piece of plastic or on the bottom side there should be a label with the type and manufacturing date.
    Especially if the label is the one on the left covered by this black thing i would think the tube is the original.....

btw, i'm also in NL so you can PM me in Dutch if you like...
  • 01-23-2008 6:05 PM In reply to

• Artimes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Hengelo/Netherlands
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for your response Ipaul. On purpose of the forum I continue in English…

I looked immediately. On the left side a big label is found (not covered with plastic):

LG Philips Displays, Cathode Ray Tube, Made in France, W66ESF012X44, AY20040622-14:46:27

It seems to me that this is a pretty new tube?!? Don’t you think so

• 01-24-2008 4:09 PM In reply to

Yeah, this seems a 2004 tube.
    What i don't understand is as far as i know B&O used to replace these (T8111) tubes ESF type for ERF types (so one would assume the ESF type would no longer be available), so i'm gonna dig into this further....
    Anyway, about your Avant, the next step could be checking the solderings on the pcb at the back of the tube (maybe use a magnifying glass).
  • 01-24-2008 4:45 PM In reply to

• Artimes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Hengelo/Netherlands
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Good news (for me); the set is playing DVD over the AV-input! So the tube is OK.

TV mode still can not be choosen. Either the VCR does not play. It seems that the TV and build-in VCR are not recognized.

What does this mean?

• 01-24-2008 4:47 PM In reply to

• Artimes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Hengelo/Netherlands
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

I bought a 2hand set and replaced the EEPROM... now the TV worked again!

After replacing the frame, also the VRT worked fine.

Conclusion: it was the EEPROM (and mayby microprocessor too) that caused the failure!

Thanks to Ipaul for his advise and TV-set.

• 10-05-2008 8:56 AM In reply to

I was reading your post & i'm suffering similar problems!

I recently aquired a Avant 28" VCR Type 81/03 second hand - and its perfectly fine before suddenly switching of with a load bang - switching back into standby mode. No funny colour tints. Sometimes the screen does go bright blue with line waves moving when turning the TV on from standby mode.

You wrote in you earlier posting that: "EEPROM (and mayby microprocessor too) that caused the failure". Did this solve the 'suddenly switching off with load bang' problem directly ?

I'm not technical at all but have a friend who's good with electrics !I will get him checking the solderings on the pcb at the back of the tube.

Also you no anyone who can send me a PDF Service manual for this set ?

Any help would be most sincerely appreciated, as I love this TV & hope to get it working!

Thankyou - Bob UK

Filed under:
  • 10-05-2008 4:33 PM In reply to

A loud BANG means a defect in the HV deflection, that has nothing to do with a EEPROM. This is a real hardware defect... bad highvoltage caps, the hot transistor, some coils or cold spots.

But: the EEPROM can be damaged by overvoltage during the BANG. This is not the cause, it's the symptom.

• 10-14-2008 4:16 PM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

So, I have an Avant which turns the dark (black) tones to brown/reddish, and sometimes goes to standby with a bang. This happens when the set warms up. Also sometimes it turns up a red led in the left corner of the panel.

This is 8100 model.

Would this be the tube, meaning bye bye for the telly, or is there a possibility for an electronics problem?

Pekka

• 10-14-2008 4:58 PM In reply to

Usually it's a spark what you hear. Watch the tv deflection board in the dark, then you can see this high voltage flash. In this area look for bad solderings.
  • 10-15-2008 4:20 PM In reply to

Just a little remark abt the 'bang' sound when an Avant shuts down, in my experience it usually sounds worse than it is: the reason for the 'bang' is the fact that, when the avant shuts down because of a failure (so it actually 'trips'), it doesn't shut down the 'nice way' it normally does, meaning it fades down the volume and closes the curtain etc.
    This causes the sound power amps to 'bang' via the speakers and doesn't mean fireworks go off...

So far i've never had an Avant with bad solderings, the quality of the boards is very good and the Avant is relatively new still.
    What's always an easy option is to check the fault codes in the service menu.
    An easy way to check a suspected tube is simply to tap with something like the plastic end of a tooth brush on the tube neck and see (check the screen) what happens.
    To do this with the VTR scart unplugged and switch the tv to Vtape also helps (so you get a 'black screen' and should stay like that, it's easy to see if any coloured lines appear in this way).
    If all kinds of colouring effects or coloured sparks show on the screen you have a problem....:(
    Be carefull with this test, ask someone with tv experience to check if you haven't since the damage may be bigger than the disease...
  • 10-16-2008 1:05 PM In reply to

• magnushj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Trondheim, Norway
    • Posts 139
    • Silver Member

I had a problem with my avant never getting to standby mode at all, no red light. After resoldering the large transformers on the "main circuit"(?) the set started up nicely, and has never complained since.

Beocenter 9500+Beolab Penta mk2+Avant+MX7000+Beosound Ouverture+1xBeolab 6000 :)
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)