in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-27-2007 2:30 PM by Peter. 55 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2007 4:47 PM

Overpriced Junk

Locked Contact
    I tried to buy a Beosound 1. The quality control stinks; scratches, marks, etc. I looked at 4 of them. I think for these prices they charge for this mediocre equipment, ought to be cosmetically perfect. B&O can keep their overpriced junk as far as I am concerned. Goodbye B&O! You won't get a cent of my cash ever!!!!
  • 04-26-2007 4:55 PM In reply to

Re: Overpriced Junk

Locked Contact

Surprised at that. Every product I have bought has been cosmetically perfect and with very few exceptions has worked perfectly as well. I don't have a BS1 but those I have seen have usually looked good. I wouldn't get a white one (I believe you looked at one of those) as I don't think the painted finish sounds a very good idea.

There are plenty of other makes - I hope you find something to your liking. Have you seen the new Meridian stand alone which would appear to be occupying a similar role to the BS1? 

• 04-26-2007 5:03 PM In reply to

Locked Contact

How does one know that the product left the factory in this condition?

Should the criticism not be directed towards the dealer(s) who displayed the item in such a condition?

• 04-26-2007 5:08 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    Brand new in the box items with scratches and blemishes; unacceptable. Bang and Olufsen of Boca Raton, FL. I wonder if they are buying B stock goods
  • 04-26-2007 5:10 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Locked Contact

Sad to hear that you have gotten a bad view on B&O.
    You are entitled to your opinion and most welcome to state it here.
    Even if we can't really do much about it apart from trying to comfort
    you a bit, it will almost certainly give a good discussion but
    even better would probably be for you to contact B&O, your local dealer would be the first.
    I take it that you were looking at things in a B&O dealers showroom ?
    These things may or may not have been "tested", knocked
    and otherwise got-at by potential customers so probably shouldn't
    be used for cosmetics quality control reference.
    If you haven't done so already, I suggest you ask your shop to show you a newly unpacked one.

I never unpacked a new B&O item not to my complete satisfaction.

Martin

• 04-26-2007 5:25 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Locked Contact
    My parents recently bought a BS1, and as they wanted the black one, he had to order it, as he wouldn't sell them the one he had, because the box had been opened.
  • 04-26-2007 5:33 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    There are things one can knock B&O for, but not the state of its products out of the box, in my experience. I have bought lots of B&O through the years, and pulling product out of the box has always been sheer pleasure over the quality of the finish and workmanship. Sounds as if you have looked at returned items that the dealer tried to sell you - or possibly items that had been used for an exhibit? These will sometimes be handled roughly, and should not be sold at full price. (Some dealers will arrange clearance of them, notifying established customers that the items are available, while listing the exact blemishes).

No, can't buy your complaint. Just complain right back and say that this is not up to B&O standards. If the dealer's serious, they'll fix it.

• 04-26-2007 5:37 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    I still think it's overpriced and the sound is poor for the money. These were new unopened boxes, garbage
  • 04-26-2007 5:41 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

Locked Contact
    If you think that the sound is poor and the quality is not up to standards, then why did you buy it in the first place?

I think the BeoSound 1 is one of the B&O products that offer Value for the money. 

You had to like it in order to buy it. Go back to the store, and tell them that you are not happy that the unit came in that condition and I am sure that they will give you a new one. As simple as that, I doubt you bought something you thought it was garbage from the begining. 
    -Alex
  • 04-26-2007 5:42 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Locked Contact
    tascam:
    I still think it's overpriced and the sound is poor for the money. These were new unopened boxes, garbage

The sound is poor for the money in comparison to what?!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-26-2007 5:44 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    compared to real stereo equipment. You can get the same sound for 1/3 of the money. The guts of this stuff are made by Philips and others. You pay a big price for the shell
  • 04-26-2007 5:50 PM In reply to

Locked Contact

I think you will find the "guts" of most equipment is made by other manufacturers. Most audiophile CD players actually use CD ROM drives which seems perverse. I am not a big fan of the BS1 which I feel has a limited stereo sound stage and being only FM means that it has limited appeal to me, but recognise it as filling a definite niche as a movable loudspeaker. It sounds as if you bought it for another role.

Rather than rubbish what has been a very popular product, maybe you should look again at exactly what you want from the music system you plan to buy. 

• 04-26-2007 5:59 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    It sounds like you have some preconceived notions, and everyone is entitled to those. Coming out with a topic on a B&O afficianado's site like the one you have here is obviously going to produce some attention.

I suggest you do some research on the history of the product, sonic innnovations, and the importance to the industrial design community before you continue on this course. 

Part of what yo are buying with B&O is the research, development and industrial design. In effect you are buying the form and the function, and some prople will never "get" this. Quality out of the box has never been an issue. 
  • 04-26-2007 5:59 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    You have been discussing the BS1 for months now. I am amazed that, if theses are your true feelings, it took you so long to arrive at them.

Regards,

Nicholas
  • 04-26-2007 6:09 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    Bose is always an option!

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-26-2007 6:13 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    I was willing to settle for the mediocre sound (bass can distort above 60) because I liked the look of the product. For the money, the cosmetics should be PERFECT!
  • 04-26-2007 6:18 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    If you are playing at what is essentially full volume, and this is what you want, I would suggest you need, as you have identified, a proper Hi-Fi. A Beosound 4 and some big speakers should do. Some second hand Pentas would probably not break the bank and would certainly go loud without distortion.To expect a BS1 to be able to do this is a little unfair.
  • 04-26-2007 6:18 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Locked Contact

I have to agree and say that I find your experience very suprising to say the least. Also I have to question the reason behind your post? It doesn't sound like you wanted the Beosound 1 in the first place? As the obvious reaction would be to ask first if other people have experienced the same problem, what are peoples thoughts on the Beosound 1 and what could you do to rectify the problem. You have also clearly stated you don't like the performance either. Its plain that you had already made up your mind before posting your post. Of course you are entitled to your opinion and I cannot say that this is not what you have experienced. It would be interesting although to hear what your dealer has to say?

Durban South Africa

• 04-26-2007 6:23 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    If you are after bass and volume then may I suggest an Apple iPod Hifi? It will save you £800 and maybe give you what you are looking for. By the sounds of things, it is possible B&O isn't the brand for you.

Nicholas
  • 04-26-2007 6:25 PM In reply to

Locked Contact
    I was  simply disappointed that I didn't get cosmetically what I wanted, that's all. I think the quality control stinks
  • 04-26-2007 6:26 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Locked Contact
    linder:
    Bose is always an option!

You do realise that the Bose Wave systems don't come anywhere near the BeoSound 1 in terms of sound?

BOSE - Buy Other Superiour Equipment

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-26-2007 6:31 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Locked Contact
    If the quality control from B&O was bad I can assure this forum wouldn't exist and B&O wouldn't be the company it is today. Of course though if your dealer is selling questionable products you certainately should not settle for it. When buying a B&O you should receive the best and you need to take it up with your dealer or contact B&O headoffice in your country, but to make a sweeping statement that B&O is junk might be taking it too far. 

Durban South Africa

• 04-26-2007 6:42 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Locked Contact
    I had some problems with product quality a few years back.  Based on these comments, I wonder if B&O North America (or employees thereof) sometimes try to sell returns as new.  I bought a phone, supposedly "brand new, unopened box" and it had dead batteries installed and phone numbers programmed.  I bought a horizontal stand for my BS9000 (again, "brand new, unopened box") and it was deeply scratched (somebody really applied some force because it was a deep gouge in solid aluminum).  The store "swore" these were shipped straight from NJ.  Yeah right...  That was the last business I did with that store (a company owned store in a major shopping mall that has since closed).  Since then, no problem aside from a rather beat-up BL2 box... but it did make me go hmmmm....

Stan

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Locked Contact
    I really cannot sit on the fence on this one, and must say that i have never in all my time in dealing with B&O, had one report of a single product in an unopened box being sub-standard in appearance.  Bang & Olufsen are pretty darn good at quality control before things leave the factory.

Yes, they have shortcomings - but never with quality and standard of finish.  I would take this up at a higher level, as this seems isolated and needs 'nipping in the bud' if standards are slipping.

As for distortion at volume above/around 60.. its a little like saying "my BMW starts to handle a bit flakily at 160mph"..  You are exploring its upper limits, and it is, after all a portable music system.  For serious sound try a used Ouverture/3000 and a pair of used Beolab 8000's?

As everyone said though, this is a fair forum, and you are entitled to your opinion!

Lee 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

Locked Contact
    What they tried to sell me WAS junk
Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >