in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-13-2012 10:21 AM by bab. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2007 4:08 PM

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Beolink Passive and Powerlink

Looking through the user  guide for the Beolink Passive I came across the following (page 7):

The socket marked POWER LINK should not be used in a BeoLink Passive setup

So what is the power link socket there for?

• 04-26-2007 5:13 PM In reply to

Re: Beolink Passive and Powerlink

Hi

The Power Link socket is for driving older mcl systems (input powerlink, output mcl via speaker sockets).

Usually you drive some passive speakers with this device (input masterlink and link eye, output speaker sockets)

Hope this helps

Best Regards, David 

• 04-26-2007 6:50 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

If you have the Beolink Passive connected via ML it works as a true Beolink product. Seperate room, full control, all sources.  Powerlink is not connected. I think this is what a "Beolink Passive setup" is defined as.  "Beolink Passive Link Room" is a another description.

When you connect the powerlink cable then the unit works as a simple amplifier for passive speakers.  Its typically used in the same room as a master audio or video product. One example would be as rear speakers in a DTS 5.1 setup with a BV7. In this case the powerlink cable from the BV7 rear connection goes to the powerlink connector on the Beolink Passive.

... I recently tried a Beolink Passive connected via power link to a BS9000 through some of my older passive speakers...

The Beolink Passive gets a vote from me as being one of the most misunderstood, under utilised and under sold B&O products.

Beoaus.

• 04-26-2007 7:05 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I have to be honest and say I don't know anything about Beolink passive but I thought powerlink sockets were for active speakers?? Can they be used for other purposes too? Couldn't find a clear explanation on the site

Durban South Africa

• 04-27-2007 12:45 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

In this case the powerlink socket connects the Beolink Passive to the powerlink audio source, not a powerlink speaker. If you like the powerlink socket is used as an input connection to the passive. Can be confusing I agree...  So in effect you have the choice of audio source connections, either ML or powerlink depending on your requirements. Passive speakers complete the package.

Beolink Active will allow you to connect powerlink (active) speakers.  Beolink Active does not have a passive amplifier or a powerlink input as above. Its use is to allow ML feature in a link room with Active speakers.

Hope that helps.

Beoaus.

• 07-31-2007 8:13 AM In reply to

Hi Beoaus...

I'm about to do something like this now....so...this is very , very important to me..

If I take a Beocenter 9500 and connect the Powerlink to a Passive Kit (via powerlink) IN ANOTHER ROOM.....the passive will not function with the IR eye...etc..ie I can't control the BC 9500???? via this connection set up??

THanks..

• 07-31-2007 9:01 AM In reply to

Correct! And what's more it needs to be a fully wired/ Mk2 powerlink cable otherwise the passive will not switch on.

As has been stated before.....powerlink is ONE way only.

Regards Graham

• 07-31-2007 9:07 AM In reply to

Thanks Graham.........i'll re-work my plan...ugggg
  • 07-31-2007 9:14 AM In reply to

The only way that can work is to run MCL to a MCL2AV then powerlink to the Beolink passive and then to the speakers. This has the advantage that the volume level in the link room is independent (to all intents) to that in the main room. The cheaper way to do it is to run MCL to a MCL2A and to passive speakers. In this case the volume in the main room, if on, will be the same as the link room.
  • 10-01-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

I have just connected a set up as you describe here (MCL2Av to Passive to a pair of CX100s).  It works as I expect - except that the volume level does not go very high - reasonable to listen too but no spare capacity at all!

The other problem is I can't adjust the bass, treble or balance as my MCP5500, BL 7000 both come back with a ? and the Beolink 1000 and Beo4 do not want to play either!

Any ideas?  The MCL2AV is the slightly later model as there is no control to protect less powerful speakers against overload.  Does anyone have a set of hints and tips beyond the standard B&O set up guides that I have??

Thanks for any help Smile

• 11-02-2007 9:47 AM In reply to

I'm interested to buy a beolink passive and I would like to use it to drive front passive speakers of my BV7 that is linked to a BS3000 in the same room. Due to the power of the amp that could be not sufficient I imagine to connect 2 Beolink passive, one from the first front PL outpout of the BV7 directed to the L and R connections of the bass of my speakers and the second Beolink passive from the second PL front outpout of the BV7 directed to the L and R connections of the trebbles of my speakers (biamp). Do you think it can work ?

If I have the Beolink Passive connected via the powerlink cable as a simple amplifier for passive speakers, is it on stand by when I don't listen any music or is it in a permanent work ?

Thanks

• 11-02-2007 10:15 AM In reply to

Your question was:-

If I have the Beolink Passive connected via the powerlink cable as a simple amplifier for passive speakers, is it on stand by when I don't listen any music or is it in a permanent work ?

Answer, when you switch to standby, the passive amplifier switches to standby as well, subject to a correctly wired powerlink socket

Regards Keith....

• 11-02-2007 2:32 PM In reply to

Your bi-amping and bi-wiring solution should work. However you have to take into account that both amplifiers will supply both high and low frequencies as there is no crossover network before or in the amplifiers. You have to be sure that your speakers have the required crossover networks activated (included in the signal paths) even when connected via separate wires.
    On the other hand you will not obtain much higher volume using two amplifiers. If I am correct, doubling the power should increase the volume by +3db. But I fear that even this will not apply to your configuration because each amplifier will only be used for a part of its frequency range. The BeoLink Passive is not so weak at all, just give him a try...

Hagen

• 11-02-2007 3:15 PM In reply to

Think you will be better off with another brand amp. look here...
  • 07-12-2010 10:59 AM In reply to

Dear Beoaus,

I've had BO products for quite a while but never tried to distribute sound around the house until recently. I have been browsing old posts to learn as much as I can. 

I have a BeoMaster 5 and I am planning to use a BeoLink passive to drive speakers on the patio. I assume the masterlink connection will route the sound from the BM5 to the passive speakers. Could I also use the same BeolinkL passive to take powerlink output from my BeoVision 7 and drive another set of passive speakers. I would not require to have both the BM5 and BV7 operational at the same time.  

Thanks for your help

Stephen

• 07-13-2010 6:14 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Just saw this post.

Presume you mean connecting Powerlink and ML at the same time. Unfortunately I have no experience with this. 

sorry, beoaus.

• 07-13-2010 6:26 AM In reply to

Hi Stephen,

as far as I know these two operating modes are mutually exclusive and the BeoLink Passive is detecting upon power-up which mode is to be selected by checking its connections.

Isn't it possible to just add your BV7 to the ML bus?

Or using AUX in of the BM5 for the TV sound?

Hagen

• 07-13-2010 12:48 PM In reply to

Hi Hagen,

Thanks for your reply. The BV7 is connected to the BM5 by DVI-I and SPDIF sockets so I get good sound and pictures.

The BV7 only has a Beolab 7-2 connected at the moment. I thought I could connect a couple of passive speakers via a powerlink to the beolink passive to function as rear speakers.

If I was outside I could then move these speakers out an have audio from the BM5 (connected to the Beolink passive by ML). I am trying to optimize the use of the speakers.  

I suppose I am being too cheap!

• 07-13-2010 1:46 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

sjmcguckin:

The BV7 only has a Beolab 7-2 connected at the moment. I thought I could connect a couple of passive speakers via a powerlink to the beolink passive to function as rear speakers.

If I was outside I could then move these speakers out an have audio from the BM5 (connected to the Beolink passive by ML). I am trying to optimize the use of the speakers.  

If you connect a BeoLink Passive to the "Front-PL-Out" and
    a second BeoLink Passive to the "Surround-PL-Out" you'll get a 
    Dolby System with BLB7-2 beeing the "Center" and 
    "Passive-Speakers" beeing the "Front" and the "Surround" speakers. 

You'll need 2 PL-Cables to connect both "BeoLink Passive" or "ML/MCL Converter"

(a ML/MCL-Converter is identical to a BeoLink Passive - but IR Receiver
    and IR Cable are not provided)

To use the speakers temporarily "outside" you need a ML-Cable, Power, IR-Cable
    and eventually speaker wires prepared at/for the "outside place"

To get a flexible "on the fly solution" I'd recommend the use of a ML-Distributon Box
    and ML-Cables of the required length.

When you want "outside music" you'll have to disconnect your "Rear BeoLink Passive"
    from the PL-Cable (coming from your TV) and connect it at the other place to the ML-cable
    as well as to IR-sensor- and speaker-cables.

WARNING: 
    at the same time a "BeoLink Passive" should only be connected  
    EITHER  to PL (from TV)
    OR  to ML (MasterLink-Network)

• 07-15-2010 12:18 PM In reply to

Vienna,

Thanks for the comprehensive advice. The options I have are pretty clear and I will be able to design something appropriate.

Stephen

• 02-08-2012 11:06 AM In reply to

• bab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2010
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

I'm curious how I would use a Beolink Passive to drive the two passive rear speakers in a 5.1 setup, with a Beosystem 1 as the audio source. The Beosystem has Powerlink Rear Left and Powerlink Rear Right outputs, I believe, but the Beolink Passive only has a single Powerlink input, so how would this need to be connected?

Any and all advice welcome!

Regards,

Beolink novice

• 02-12-2012 7:44 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

bab:

The Beosystem has Powerlink Rear Left and Powerlink Rear Right outputs,
    I believe, but the Beolink Passive only has a single Powerlink input,
    so how would this need to be connected?

Hello and wellcome ...

Every PL plug/cable/socket is carrying both (L+R) channels - there is no "left"
    and "right" PL socket on BeoSound/-System/-Master - the system does not need
    a 2nd socket - but a 2nd socket makes wiring easier in many cases.
    (A single output and a 1>>2 "Y" splitter does the trick too).

ATTENTION: To connect a ML/MCL (or a BeoLink Passive without IR "eye")
    via PL a FULLY MOUNTED (8 wires)  PL CABLE IS MANDATORY!

!! PoweLink Cable MK3 as well as the brand new 5mm (6-wire) PL version DON'T WORK
    in this case !! (no wire for the on/off signal available) 

• 02-13-2012 10:21 AM In reply to

• bab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2010
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Ok, thanks. I was unaware of this basic feature of PL! I learn something new every day. This makes  life even easier.Smile

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)