in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-16-2008 12:28 AM by Goldfrog88. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-14-2008 7:47 PM

Beovox CX-100 to Beosystem 5500

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and umm I think I need a little help.  Ha.

I just got a set of Beovox CX-100 speakers (great condition!!) to hook into my Beosystem 5500.  The guy sent me the original wires, but they're spliced.  And I can't see how EITHER connector (both connector ends for the wire came with it) fits into the back of my Beomaster.  Can anybody shed a little light on this for me so I can FINALLY enjoy listening to my Beosystem?  

Thanks so much in advance!

- Aaron 

• 01-14-2008 11:10 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Re: Beovox CX-100 to Beosystem 5500

Hi anampersand,

The CX100 uses the standard 2-pin din (looks like a dot and a dash, one on top of the other), while the BM5500 may have an additional offset pin connection for a master control link system. You don't need to use that pin. Just use the dot and the dash connections for Speaker 1 (I'm basing my suggestion on the Beomaster 5000, so there may be some variance.) Don't know what you mean by 'spliced' leads. You need two figure-eight 2-pin din male to female leads to connect up the CX100s, and they are beautiful bookshelf speakers!

• 01-14-2008 11:37 PM In reply to

Thanks for the answer, but I'm afraid I may have the wrong cords. It appears as if I have two "A" ends, perhaps. By "spliced" I mean, the cords were cut and there's a B&O connecter on one end (both fit into the back of the speaker and have the same type connection, though the shape is different) and the other end is just copper speaker wire.

I'll place a picture here, and maybe that will help. IF, (and I tend to think with my luck that they are), these cords are insufficient, where do I go about getting proper cords to hook these up?

Thanks again.

- Aaron 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22838606@N06/2193718423/

That's a picture of the two (separate) cords I have.  Remember: the other end of BOTH cords is just bare copper wire.  Any ideas?!  :-/ 
  • 01-14-2008 11:57 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Aaron,

The pic isn't very clear, but the cord on the right is correct for the speaker (plugs into the speaker's male point). I imagine the one on the left is also OK (it looks like it might be the same in an unfocussed kinda way). You problem is that you need someone to fit a 2-pin DIN male plug onto the bared end of each cable --- or buy a new pair of B&O cables from your supplier (safest and surest option). If you can wire a 240V plug, you should be able to wire a male 2-pin DIN with screw (but not solder) connections. Your call and action needed now.

Mike 

• 01-15-2008 12:34 AM In reply to

Mike,

Thanks for all the help.  Will try myself, and if it doesn't work, I'll try to call up my supplier in my area and get a new cord.

Thanks! 

• 01-15-2008 4:40 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The photos show an original B&O female DIN (the square one) and a proprietory female end so you need 2 male DIN plugs..

You can buy ready made 2 pin DIN speaker cables from most electrical suppliers (eg, Maplins in the UK) for not much money with moulded plugs. If you decide to put your own plugs on though make sure the positive wire is connected to the small round pole, negative to the flat spade.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-15-2008 10:38 PM In reply to

Thanks guys.

Update: Went down to the B&O shop and picked up some male DIN plugs.  Used the original B&O cords that came w/ the speakers (the spliced ones) and added the male ends on the cut ends.  Speakers are getting sound and sound decent (all I have is a Beocord right now to test on, and no great tapes to try . . . my Beogram shipped damaged unfortunately), but every time I kick up the volume I'm getting a squeal when I try to turn it up.  The squeal goes away after it settles in on a volume, but when I'm actually adjusting it, I get a very noticeable high pitched squeal.

Any clue why this would be?  Is it just perhaps old wire?  I picked up the female DIN plugs from B&O too, so it would be no problem trying new speaker wire if that's the issue . . . or is it something else?

Again, thanks for all the help everyone! 

• 01-16-2008 12:28 AM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Aaron,

Obviously this isn't something simple to fix. It sounds like a feedback loop; ie the tapehead may be picking up the loud speaker sound and feeding it back into the system via the tapehead, thus increasing the volume further till it squeals. This will likely not happen at low volumes. However, it may mean shelling out at the Service Centre!

Sorry to hear your BeoGram was damaged. You may be interested in purchasing a 'tape player' from Chinavasion to play in the unit. It is an MP3 player in a cassette shell that can take an SD card and play back MP3s through the cassette deck's tapehead. You'll find it at www.chinavasion.com Anyhow, good luck!!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)