in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-31-2008 5:01 PM by PalM. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-14-2008 6:20 PM

• Flyer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-08-2007
    • Posts 3
    • Silver Member

Sad [:(] Beolab 8000 power problem

Hi,

I have a pair of BL8000s. A couple of weeks ago, I was aware that the LED on one wasn't lit. Checked the fuse in the plug, swapped the speaker onto the working power connector and it still wouldn't power up. I dismantled the 8000 and checked the internal fuses with a meter; they hadn't blown.

Any ideas what else could be wrong?

Assuming it needs a B&O technician, can anyone recommend someone in the Warrington, Cheshire area?

Thanks,

Andrew

Filed under:
  • 01-15-2008 3:32 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 8000 power problem

Andrew,

When you say "I was aware that the LED on one wasn't lit" I am assuming you also mean the speaker itself was not working.

Below is the transformer circuit so you can check with a meter if you are getting output. If you are then the problem will either be:-

• The protection circuit which cuts the low voltage power circuit if there is a problem.
    • The power off/on circuit from pin 4 of the powerlink not working
    • Or the low voltage power supply itself.

If you have power output on teh secondary of the transformer below, then its one of the above, so you would need to take it to a dealer for repair. If you are in Warrington, why not take it to Kings Street in Manchester.

Beolab 8000

Regards Keith....

• 01-15-2008 5:01 AM In reply to

Hi Andrew,

Apologies, I did mean to follow up on your pm, I have not been back on mb forum since my last message to you.

You will find an answer on here though and welcome aboard.

• 01-21-2008 3:27 PM In reply to

• Flyer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-08-2007
    • Posts 3
    • Silver Member

Thanks Keith. Yes, the speaker itself wasn't working.

I've gone past the stage where I'm comfortable working on it, so it looks like it's off to a dealer. How long is a piece of string question: would you have any idea of repair costs (clearly dependant on what's failed I know, but do you know a dealer's labour rate?)

I see that Ian Kinsella is at Kings Street; I've had several conversations with him at Warrington, although I used to deal with Russ. I'll give them a call and see what's involved in getting it to them.

mobe, cheers for that, just hope I can get it repaired reasonably. The Merc's cost a fortune this year! :)

• 01-21-2008 3:59 PM In reply to

The typical dealer service rate in my area is around £60 per hour.

Regards Graham

• 01-21-2008 4:01 PM In reply to

Flyer:

Thanks Keith. Yes, the speaker itself wasn't working.

I've gone past the stage where I'm comfortable working on it, so it looks like it's off to a dealer. How long is a piece of string question: would you have any idea of repair costs (clearly dependant on what's failed I know, but do you know a dealer's labour rate?)

I see that Ian Kinsella is at Kings Street; I've had several conversations with him at Warrington, although I used to deal with Russ. I'll give them a call and see what's involved in getting it to them.

mobe, cheers for that, just hope I can get it repaired reasonably. The Merc's cost a fortune this year! :)

Hello Flyer,

Ian Kinsella is indeed here at King Street - and regarding your repair, we are also pleased to have the services of another ex Plumbs employee - Ray from HPS.  He was actually sent over to Denmark ( in about 2000 ) for 25 years service as a B&O bench engineer - so bring your lab 8000 in - "we can repair it, we have the technology" !!

Best Regards,

David

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 01-21-2008 7:46 PM In reply to

• Flyer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-08-2007
    • Posts 3
    • Silver Member

Hello David,

Thanks for that. Do you have any late-nights? I work in Oldham, so could drop it off on the way home one night if you do. Can you park nearby (long enough to drop off)? Not sure I want to come in as I don't want to be tempted!

Cheers

Andrew 

• 03-31-2008 5:01 PM In reply to

• PalM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

I have the same problem but do not know how to dismantle the speaker (and I need to do that as I want to repair the internal power cable which I can see is broken). Can you or anyone please advise how to dismantle the speaker? I could not find that in the service manual.

Many thanks

Paul

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)