in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-27-2007 2:31 AM by classic. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-25-2007 5:02 PM

• Beowulf
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Derbyshire
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

Replacement or upgraded drivers for RL140 speakers

Hi, Does anyone have experience of sourcing or upgrading replacement woofers for the RL140? Rough idea of cost?

Regards

Dave 

Beowulf

• 04-25-2007 5:14 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: Replacement or upgraded drivers for RL140 speakers

If it's the dreaded foam rot it's not that hard and usually cheaper to fit new surrounds. Can't help with your original question though sorryEmbarrassed
  • 04-26-2007 1:49 AM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

The restoring of the drivers for B&O speakers is possible and several offers this service in Denmark for about GBP 300 or € 50.

I have used this service several times and normaly the result is exelent. I do a frequency test and a distortion test of the speaker after the driver restoration (and filter component change of coarse), and the speaker is very near the original spec's.

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

• 04-26-2007 7:12 AM In reply to

I know someone who had their RL140's refurbished at Recone Labs in the UK. They are based in Huddersfield.

Regards Graham

• 04-26-2007 7:15 AM In reply to

ReCone are excellent. They have done a number of my speakers - I would suggest ringing them rather than emailing  - speak to Mike.
  • 04-26-2007 2:28 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Beowulf:

Hi, Does anyone have experience of sourcing or upgrading replacement woofers for the RL140? Rough idea of cost?

Regards

Dave 

Were these the ones on Ebay that went for £26 last night. Was temted to have a bid myself.

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-26-2007 4:09 PM In reply to

• Beowulf
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Derbyshire
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

Hi Craig, Yes I never expected to get them at that price.

Thanks for all the advice, I will let you know how I progress with them.

Cheers

Dave 

Beowulf

• 04-26-2007 4:33 PM In reply to

classic:

The restoring of the drivers for B&O speakers is possible and several offers this service in Denmark for about GBP 300 or € 50.

I have used this service several times and normaly the result is exelent. I do a frequency test and a distortion test of the speaker after the driver restoration (and filter component change of coarse), and the speaker is very near the original spec's.

Off Topic:

Your avatar has me asking whether you recommend placing the Beomaster 5000 on top of the Beolab 5000? I agree it looks better, but I'd think you'd want to keep the airvents as open as possible on the amplifier? Laughing

• 04-26-2007 4:51 PM In reply to

Isn't the Avatar from the My Products page of the Official site? (Yes, they do list the Beolab 5000!) I put the Beolab on top for the vents reason and the fact that it is easier to change the plugs. That is one big disadvantage of the big heat sink at the back! And the Beolab 5000 is not exactly a lightweight!
  • 04-27-2007 2:31 AM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

soundproof:
    classic:

Off Topic:

Your avatar has me asking whether you recommend placing the Beomaster 5000 on top of the Beolab 5000? I agree it looks better, but I'd think you'd want to keep the airvents as open as possible on the amplifier? Laughing

I absolutly agree on the placement of Beomaster 5000 under the Beolab 5000, and of course the reason is ventilation.

BUT, I do prefer the two units aside !  This is much more beautiful in my eyes :)

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)