in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-09-2008 5:04 AM by Stars. 33 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2008 2:14 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: New center Speaker Beolab 10

tc:

I think it looks ok, but then I always liked the AV9000.

I would have liked them to produce a centre (mono) ALT version of the 7.1/7.2 as I particularly like the style of this speaker and think the BV7 looks much better with it than with the 7.4

Adrian.

I don't see how they could do this though. For the speaker to sound as good as it really needs to, the speaker would need to be symmetrical, and they can't exactly get a symmetrical mono BL7.1 with an ALT, it's just not high enough...

It has to be vertical, now way around it.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-08-2008 2:28 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I don't see why this would be impossible : place the ALT in the middle of the BL7.1/2, and the mediums just right and left of the ALT tweeter (not at the extremities of course) and I think you get a good mono-ALT BL7.1!

Concerning your previous post Alex, I'm not sure that bl7.4 is perfect, maybe B&O should have made a better bl10, if you read the topic concerning BL5 in fantom mode (great inputs from Dave Moulton inside!) http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/67773.aspx

• 01-08-2008 2:28 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Sorry, double post!

• 01-08-2008 2:31 PM In reply to

Alex:
    Well thats the BeoLab 10 for sure. Not everyone has to like it, but the sound sure is superb. I wish I could post a pic of it haha.

I actually like it but would need to know more.  I understand why a picture can't be posted but maybe you can tell us where the Beolab 10 is positioned in the product line.  Is it the top of the line B&O center speaker? 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-08-2008 2:47 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

mbee:

I don't see why this would be impossible : place the ALT in the middle of the BL7.1/2, and the mediums just right and left of the ALT tweeter (not at the extremities of course) and I think you get a good mono-ALT BL7.1!

Concerning your previous post Alex, I'm not sure that bl7.4 is perfect, maybe B&O should have made a better bl10, if you read the topic concerning BL5 in fantom mode (great inputs from Dave Moulton inside!) http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/67773.aspx

The problem with doing such a thing is that you end up with an effect called comb filtering. While this is most obvious when it occurs in the highest frequencies (covered by the tweeter), it's still very noticeable in the higher mids. It's not much of a problem once you get lower down in the sound spectrum. Placing two drive cones within say, 15 cm of each other means you're going to end up with peaks and 'gaps' in the uppermost frequencies the midrange units would normally cover when you sit off-axis as a result of comb filtering.

It would be much less of a problem when the speakers are placed close together at midrange frequencies (placing tweeters closer together is more of a problem than placing them apart), but would still result in noticeable issues.

I read the BL5 phantom centre channel topic considerably, and whilst the BeoLab 5 may be better suited as a centre channel, without quartering a BeoLab 5 and using the front half of the upper bass/midrange/treble assembly (the subwoofer is definitely not needed), there's no real way of getting something as well suited under a plasma screen without it looking dreadful. In order to be perfectly suited to the sound of the BeoLab 5s, the centre channel must sound identical (down to a reasonable frequency), and as a result, the midrange/tweeter assembly would have to be constructed in an almost identical fashion.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-08-2008 6:10 PM In reply to

• benkap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Oslo, Norway
    • Posts 162
    • Bronze Member

Well, I always hated the triangular design of the AV9000 so I can absolutely positively say that I will come to hate this particular design as well.

OK, hate is a strong word - call me square Wink

If I ever wanted a surround system I would go with BL7.1/2/4 anyday depending on the TV set... 

• 01-08-2008 6:57 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

I wounder if the Beolab 10 are going to fit with the BV7 Hmm

BL8000 MkII Black

• 01-09-2008 2:13 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

From what I understand the BeoLab 10 was designed to go along with the rumored BeoVision 10. The BeoLab 10 is a great fit for the BeoVision 4 sets because of the thinner design. does not stick out as much as the BeoLab 7 range. I doubt this will work for BV7.
    -Alex
  • 01-09-2008 5:04 AM In reply to

Well the BeoLab 10 certainly sounds interesting, especially if it's designed also to work with BeoVision 10. But I thought BeoVision 10 was going to be the massive B&O TV, or am I confusing this with another BeoVision?

From the photo that has been posted on this thread, I think the design is okay. I hope the central ALT will be visible as it is on the BeoVision 9. This will probably be the kind of product that I will love or hate upon seeing it for real. For instance I think the BeoLab 7.1 and 7.2 look horrible underneath a BeoVision 7 on its floor stand. On a cabinet it's not as bad, but the BeoLab 7.4 looks so much better in my opinion.

As Alex said, there's no way of having a sensational sound from a central speaker if its a small unit. Henry's Top Tip of the day: forget all of the above and get an extra BeoLab 5 as your central speaker Cool

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2