in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-14-2008 2:13 PM by jk1002. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2008 10:59 AM

Apple Tv vs Beoport

Hi there, I have been given an Apple Tv as a gift (c/w  QED HD Lead!!!!!).....

however< im ever concerned about wireless stream of music & images vs hard wire....

Does anyone have some thoughts on wether or not Apple Tv is any good with Bv7's

BTW i obviously have an i-mac 2007 version, so deffo NOT a PC man....

Thanks fellow BnO lovers

Life-is all about CHOICE....
  • 01-05-2008 3:05 PM In reply to

Re: Apple Tv vs Beoport

Hi there, I have a BV7-40 MkIII with Apple TV.  I would say Music, Photos are outstanding on the TV. I also have an Airport 802.11N router, and the automated syncing is basically seamless and automatic - although not very quick.

The Apple TV will come into its own as the video encoding quality improves. I'm also sure it will get improved software after Jan 15 MacWorld (or they may introduce a next gen version.)

Mark.

• 01-05-2008 4:16 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Hi Woodman,

Mark's right, the Apple TV uses the 'b/g' version and not the 'n' version of the wireless standard ... hence it's limited to 54MHz transfer. My Apple TV is hooked into a BS3 (same engine as the BV7 I think) but wired for Internet. It streams fine from an iMac after 20 metres of cable length and passing through two 1GB switchers.

The only problem is you have to convert video to MP4 for use on the AppleTV. I use VisualHub and occasionally Elgato Turbo264 software for that. The Elgato Turbo stick is a 'must have' for any MP4 H264 video conversions ... it's better than minute for minute.

Cheers! 

• 01-06-2008 2:19 PM In reply to

Thanks Guys,,, i get Sky HD installed tomor... or so they whould have me belive after totally failing to ( or contact me to tell me) install last week... so hopefully once all in I will begn my chosen path.. I have a wireless router so will go for that opt first..

This forum is the nuts...

like having many many fine mates who ONLY wanna talk BnO suff...

"we are not alone."

:o)

• 02-29-2008 4:58 PM In reply to

Hey there Goldfrogg, 

having now installed my Sky +HD using my BV7:32 MKIII 'ONLY' HDMI ? DVI port.... How the heck do i install my Apple tv whilt utilising the very delicious QED HDMI lead that i was given too.... ????????????????????????????

I would appreciate urs or anyones thoughts please
  • 02-29-2008 5:56 PM In reply to

I have to agree that certain things look fabulous on the BV7 screen, while others really don't look great on anything! This will, as has been said, change with time. I think that Apple TV is a great example of the new media we'll all be fighting with in the coming years. The Blu Ray / HD DVD format war will look easy compared to the amertuer hour we're all going to have to put up with as we stream YouTube and other rot onto our lovely systems.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-29-2008 10:04 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Hi Woodman TA, I'm guessing from your shorthand that you only have one HDMI/DVI input on your system? If that's the case, to add an Apple TV and use the HDMI, you'll need an HDMI wireless switching box, say with four inputs and one output. Most are remote capable and some can 'learn' commands using IR.

If you have converted DVI to HDMI, you'll likely not have sound in the socket and need to use a separate sound cable. Try to use the optical output on the Apple TV---you may need a Toslink to SPDIF converter---as some of the latest HD movie rentals on iTunes can output Dolby 5.1 only through the Apple TV's HDMI output.

How do you get movie rentals in the UK? Got a friend in the US? ... ? 

For TripEnglish, shame about the war ... bought your PS3 yet? 

• 03-14-2008 7:51 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Goldfrog,

I thought the Apple TV was 802.11n?

Mark 

Mark D
  • 03-14-2008 1:23 PM In reply to

yes it is but many still have old equipment that can only do G.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-14-2008 1:57 PM In reply to

I have appletv hooked up to my BV 7-32 MkII through my DVI port. for sound i use analoge AND digital as the digital input on BV 7 only handles 5.1 (so i was told anyway). This setup is very nice and i have everything i need after converting movies to MP4. Pictures and music works nice aswell and i have NO problem streaming even though i use an old airport extreme basestation 802.11 b/g. 

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 03-14-2008 2:13 PM In reply to

Streaming is not a problem if you do not have a N network. The apple tv will just run under G mode which is a bit slower.

I use g, the initial sync was very painfull but now day to day its just a few minutes.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)