in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-07-2008 9:06 AM by majand. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2008 8:25 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

ouverture doors

Just got a second hand 1996 ouverture from ebay (the ad quoted technically and optically perfect). It's really nice, but oh so different to a Beosound 4!

and wanted to check about the doors, and how there is a gap between them when they are closed, mine has a 2 mm gap when they close but has practically no gap if i physically push them shut from the sides, is this normal or does my machine need a service? They are also not very quiet in movement, they sound dry and louder than the beosound 4, otherwise it is perfect in operation.

Also, one of the doors is different and looks older it has  bubbles between the clips and the glass, does a new door cost alot? 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-04-2008 8:33 AM In reply to

Re: ouverture doors

I had the same issue with the doors of my BS2300. In my case the door mechanism needed replacement. I also had the CD mechanism replaced at the same time. The repairs cost me about 480 euros in total (about 800 australian dollars). I don´t know how much the door mechanism would cost seperately.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-04-2008 8:38 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It's a very minor gap difference, surely it can just be tightened and lubricated... i would never spend that much to fix it, i paid 900 aus for it!

• 01-04-2008 8:59 AM In reply to

Try cleaning the tracks on bottom and top, failing that if you take the back off you will see a Metal cable which has some clampers on it. loosen these off and then push doors together and tight the screws as you are pushing the doors together
  • 01-04-2008 10:13 AM In reply to

The doors are not supposed to touch and 2mm gap is normal/small. I would not recommend pushing the doors together as above.

The sliding tracks do wear out and on one of this age they could probably not be at their best. It will never be as quiet as your BS4 as there are more moving parts to consider. Not a difficult job to replace the tracks and instructions are provided in with the kit. They would run quieter if replaced. The new tracks include  invisible rubber buffers in the centre of the doors to prevent them closing too far so there is always a gap!!!!

The glass doors are replaced individually and the glue holding the metal bits on does deteriorate with age. Cost is about 40gbp per door.

You could replace doors, track, black plastic panels, cd mech. But how far do you go???

Regards Graham

• 01-04-2008 1:47 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

If it is any comfort my 1996 ouverture also has about a 2-3mm gap...

br

Chr

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 01-04-2008 6:50 PM In reply to

there is a rubber stop in the middle which stops you from making it possible to shut the doors together fully so doing what i say won't damage anything and got told to do this by B&O. What they said is you get slack in the metal cable which cause the doors not to shut properly and those clamps are there to make slight adjustments.

• 01-04-2008 7:14 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Dave, it is possible to remove and replace the doors, putting them back a little closer if you must. The other respondents say 2mm is OK; my Ouverture is about 1mm, so 2mm is fair. However, if you want to take the doors off, switch off the whole system unplug everything and place the Ouverture with its doors up on a table. Grab just one of the glass doors and pull it upwards reasonably sharply, keeping it as horizontal as possible. It will appear to break out of the holder, (but can be put back with a little push). Take off the other door. Now push the doors back, one by one, trying to keep the central distance close. Et voila!

If you feel uncomfortable with the procedure, your local centre should be able to show you (at least the service will ... no more said). Hope you are enjoying the Ouverture. I've just ordered from China an MP3 player with SD card slot built in a cassette case that should enable me to play MP3s using the Ouverture's cassette bay. I saw it in a recent UK Stuff magazine. You might follow that up if it's of interest.

• 01-04-2008 7:38 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Thank you all for the correspondence i will consider all of the above, unfortunately i'm plagued with extreme fussiness, so the gap really gets to me. Goldfrog88, i tried what you said but i don't see how this procedure could work. Seems impossible to me, The doors not closing is internal and the only way to fix it is to tighten those clamps inside.

I'm going to have to put up with it.

The sd tape deck sounds like a good idea, but how would it read an sd without batteries 

• 01-04-2008 7:50 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Dave, it's some years since I did this, but I'm sure the tracks stay on the Ouverture and the clips (that clip into the tracks) are glued to the glass.

Cheers! 

• 01-04-2008 7:55 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

From my reading of the article, the Cassette MP3 is a unit in itself, with its own battery/ies (and so can be used as a pocket MP3 player). It would use the tape head on the Ouverture to transfer the signal from the player to the Ouverture as though it were a real cassette ... at least that's my expectation. The unit has shipped from China, so I expect it in a fortnight. Will let you know how it goes. 

• 01-04-2008 8:01 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Ah i thought so, well i should just stick to using the BS2 through AUX (as soon as i get the charger fixed).

• 01-05-2008 4:46 AM In reply to

Kokane81:

there is a rubber stop in the middle which stops you from making it possible to shut the doors together fully so doing what i say won't damage anything and got told to do this by B&O. What they said is you get slack in the metal cable which cause the doors not to shut properly and those clamps are there to make slight adjustments.

There is no rubber stop in the centre of older models! Adjusting older ones too tight may result in the doors contacting in the centre and causing damage. There is supposed to be a gap in the middle!!!!  Specification for the gap on sliders with rubber buffers is 1.2mm +/- 0.6mm

Regards Graham

• 01-05-2008 4:51 AM In reply to

Dave:

Thank you all for the correspondence i will consider all of the above, unfortunately i'm plagued with extreme fussiness, so the gap really gets to me. Goldfrog88, i tried what you said but i don't see how this procedure could work. Seems impossible to me, The doors not closing is internal and the only way to fix it is to tighten those clamps inside.

I'm going to have to put up with it.

The sd tape deck sounds like a good idea, but how would it read an sd without batteries 

The individual sliders are clamped onto the wire and the only way to adjust is to loosen the clamps. This involves removing the back of the ouverture, then removing the bottom electronic pack. This enables access to the clamps. Only adjust one door at a time or you could end up with a mess!!

Regards Graham

• 01-08-2008 4:27 PM In reply to

I´ve got a pretty decent gap too, 2-3 mm. Is it normal?

• 01-08-2008 4:37 PM In reply to

Quite normal and I would leave alone if it were mine.

Regards Graham

• 01-08-2008 6:32 PM In reply to

With my Ouverture the gap is almost 4 mm. Not too good isn't it?  Erm
  • 01-08-2008 8:29 PM In reply to

Been trying to remove the back panel to access the metal wires but that proved to be very difficult. In the end I gave up because I was afraid of breaking everything. Why is always so difficult to open a B&O piece? When I tried to open my VX7000 oh my god before removing the lateral fascias  Angry

Anyway I noticed that my Ouverture has a gap of about 4mm on top and 3mm at the bottom. How can I adjust this without opening the whole unit?

• 01-09-2008 3:09 AM In reply to

You can't!!!!

And if you don't know how to take the back off the chances are you will break something. That's why I recommend that you live with it or get a professional to sort it.

Regards Graham

• 05-07-2008 9:06 AM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

Hi, I bought an second hand Ouverture and it arrived with the doors removed. The sliders seem to be on the unit and in the glasses there is just a residue of a glue of somekind.

My question is: What kind of a glue should I use to fix the doors to the unit? Any recommendations? 

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)