in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-03-2008 3:06 PM by mkorch. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-31-2007 9:00 PM

• mkorch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-30-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Wiring for BeoLab 3500

Hello all, I am new to this forum though a long time B&O owner. I am wiring a new home and have an old (1996ish) BeoCenter 9300 and a BeoLab 3500 that I want to connect. They will be in separate rooms a good 150 ft. apart. I had a 75' MCL cable from the original install, so I asked my local B&O dealer what I needed to get the two connected and after humming and hawing a bit they finally sold me 150' of expensive thin white cable. I didn't look closely at it at the time, because my 75' run was still in the wall, but now that I have extracted my original MCL cable (circa 1998) the two cables are dramatically different. So I looked on this web site and found that the cable they sold me doesn't seem to conform to either the Masterlink wiring or the Master Control Link wiring standard. It has only 5 wires in the jacket, light grey or possibly light blue, green, brown, white and yellow. Can anyone tell me whether this wire will in fact work, and if so how do I wire it to a master link junction, or masterlink wall plate, both of which seem to want 9 wires. Any help appreciated.
  • 12-31-2007 11:50 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Wiring for BeoLab 3500

Take it back.  They sold you the IR wire.  Have them call Tech Support if they can't figure it out. 

In fairness, MCL hasn't been the 'current standard' in just over 12 years, so we can perhaps cut your dealer some slack.  It's likely that MCL will be a bit hard to come by.  If you continue to have trouble, get in touch with one of the older stores, or older guys.  I hear there's a real 'grey-beard' at Tyson's Corner.

Cool

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 01-01-2008 11:43 PM In reply to

• mkorch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-30-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Russ,

thanks. I'll give them another shot, but I have no confidence in them.  Both my devices have masterlink as well as mcl. will that wire be easier to come by ? thanks again, Mike

• 01-02-2008 12:28 PM In reply to

Mike,

If you planned to expand your system in the future, I suggest you use Masterlink for several reasons not least:-

• Masterlink cable is available in 100 metre reels
    • If you add newer B&O products in the future, then you will need to use Masterlink

You could get your Masterlink cable from a Boscom reseller where you will find it much cheaper. Have a look at there web site HERE

Regards Keith....

• 01-03-2008 3:06 PM In reply to

• mkorch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-30-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Keith, thanks.I agree about the Masterlink, but the local dealers don't carry the bulk cable. Bosscom doesn't display pricing except for retailers with a login. I emailed them to see if they have any distributors in the US. looks like I could get it from a UK distributor, More Than AV ? Good outfit ?
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)