in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-03-2008 7:03 AM by mr_anders_son. 37 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-31-2007 5:31 AM

I am disappointed about beovision 8

So just after ten days, my beovision 8 (now in the main room) is going to the bedroom.

The image: I am sorry, it's not at the same level of the beovision 1 (eight years old!). Moreover (but this is not a B&O issue), in Italy there is just one channel that transmits in 16:9 (crap movies!)

The sound: it's not at the same level of the beovision 1 (also with the beolab 8000: the technolgy to re-creat stereo + central speaker is to old and the sound is not clear): IT'S NOT THE LEVEL THAT OF a 4000 euros object by B&O

The overall quality: just 6 over 10, it's not the quality that you can expect from B&O (for example: the floor stand is cheap

Stye: it's really beautiful but, again, I don't think it will be a ten years masterpiece like the beovision 1 

I am sorry B&O, I am not satisfied at all!

Any advice? How many days I have to return back it? 

• 12-31-2007 6:16 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: I am disappointed about beovision 8

I think I can understand you. But somehow, it is a little an unfair competition betwenn BV1 and BV8, as IMO they play in different leagues. First, you have to admit that the CRT technology was way farer developed at the time the BV1 was launched as the LCD technology is now as the BV8 is launched. And then, you must not forget that the BV8 is meant to be a "low budget" set and therefore per example has a less good picture quality as the BC6. I noticed that in the shop, but I didn't mind because I knew that the BV8 was an entry level TV.

"Salute" to Italy! 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 12-31-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

i sympathies with you i had similar experience with avant and replaced it with 7-32 i was not impressed with the picture , sound though was excellent on bv 7-32 sold it ,lost money with that never again take a plunge to b&o products my heart ruled my head .

good luck and happy new year

• 12-31-2007 7:21 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

This is why B&O were reluctant to move over to LCD and Plasma (LCD particularly) and kept CRT sets in the range so long after other companies had almost all moved 'on'.

Without High Definition, CRT will outperform LCD easily and even with HD, some may still prefer CRT.

B&O's LCDs have by far the best picture on the market, as do their Plasmas, they're head and shoulders above the competition IMO. They're better than a lot of the old brand-X CRTs IMO, but the B&O CRTs are a damn difficult act to follow.

As for the sound, the BeoVision 1 is larger...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-31-2007 7:25 AM In reply to

I think that it illustrates the point that if you watch mainly standard definition 4:3 television on a good quality B&O  CRT then there is little to gain by splashing out on an LCD TV.

I stood in a  (non B&O) TV shop today where they had displays of maybe two dozen plasma and LCD TV's showing a standard definition  4:3 picture on each of them (mainly with grossly oversaturated colours) . There wasn't a single TV there that was doing a significantly better job of displaying a normal broadcast better than my 20 year old LX2800.

I appreciate there may be  different considerations when it comes to 'Home Theatre' but if day-to-day TV watching is the priority the I couldn't recommend upgrading to any brand of LCD at the current ime as we are only now reaching the point where an LCD can maatch the quality of CRT.

Simon 

• 12-31-2007 7:26 AM In reply to

• beoplayer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-08-2007
    • Lund, Sweden
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Dear sir,

You should know that the Beovision 8 is ha HD-ready LCD tv. The picture of these television sets are very dependent on what kind of source you play on the television. LCD-tvs in general don't perform well with analogue tv signals. They perform OK with SD(standard definition) material from DVDs or digital-television. What you should do to experince the great picture that the Beovision 8 in fact can produce you should use it together with HD-material. For example, HD-DVD, Bluray or HD-digital televison. You can also connect your Beovision 8 to your PC and play HD-material in that way. You can go to http://www.apple.com/trailers to access HD-clips.

• 12-31-2007 8:07 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Sky would give you a much better image, even better, Sky-HD would give you a picture which would really begin to better the BeoVision 1 in a lot of ways, although you may not want to pay the price for Sky.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-31-2007 8:15 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

He's in Italy Alex.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-31-2007 8:21 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

There's no Sky in Italy? Surprise

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-31-2007 8:28 AM In reply to

I agree with Beoplayer. LCD needs a very good source like dvd or digital TV to convince. Analogue sources make the screens calculate a lot which has a very bad influence on picture quality. With analogue sources i.m.h.o. CRT is to be prefered. With digital sources and not moving pictures the sharpness of recent LCD's is very good, I think (much) better than CRT, but the LCD's still have problems with (camera)movement. At least more than a 100Hz CRT, although movement problems with the latest 100Hz CRT's were still not solved completely.

• 12-31-2007 8:34 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Alex:

There's no Sky in Italy? Surprise

As far as I am aware, you have to have a UK address to subscribe to Sky. Some people get around it by using a relatives address or those who have homes in UK and abroad. I think it might be illegal but many do it.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-31-2007 8:34 AM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

beoplayer:
    For example, HD-DVD, Bluray or HD-digital televison.

Just some notes...

First, and just for fun, these formats are not supported by B&O, so first You must purchase at least an HD player from a different brand, which means: The full integration fails immediately, You can't get any HD feeling from any B&O player system. And, secondly, is there any HD player, which can be put right next to any B&O product without loosing the design purity and beauty?

And for last, try these formats on ANY old B&O CRT to do the real challenge, and start wondering immediately: The picture will be better on them, then on any LCD/plasma. 
  • 12-31-2007 8:44 AM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

tom:
    And then, you must not forget that the BV8 is meant to be a "low budget" set and therefore per example has a less good picture quality as the BC6. I noticed that in the shop, but I didn't mind because I knew that the BV8 was an entry level TV.

I think, that's a point, I do not like in the B&O marketing strategy, and in the new products:

The "CHEAP" thinking.

Is it the brave new world?

B&O and "low budget" thinking?

Take a part in the low level, and low quality products? 
  • 12-31-2007 9:13 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

There is change in Bno its more about to have more and more profit instead of throwing out great products. beov.8 looks cheap 90% plastic fantastic. Waiting that Apple is bringing out a LCD design tv in near future.
  • 12-31-2007 9:20 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Reading this thread reminds me why as yet I have not got a B&O LCD or Plasma TV. IMO there is still a lot to be said for a good quality CRT TV.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-31-2007 9:47 AM In reply to

if i remember one of our italian friends had sky in italy , the only difference was you were not tied to sky box, could use any digi box as sky did not have monopoly. just checked company is called sky italia

cheers

malcolm

• 12-31-2007 10:05 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

BartS:

I agree with Beoplayer. LCD needs a very good source like dvd or digital TV to convince. Analogue sources make the screens calculate a lot which has a very bad influence on picture quality. With analogue sources i.m.h.o. CRT is to be prefered. With digital sources and not moving pictures the sharpness of recent LCD's is very good, I think (much) better than CRT, but the LCD's still have problems with (camera)movement. At least more than a 100Hz CRT, although movement problems with the latest 100Hz CRT's were still not solved completely.

So .................. they're only any good as digital photo frames!Laughing Sounds about right - certainly wouldn't spend thousands one one myself.

If I go flat panel, I think it will be with one of the mass producers (i.e. relatively cheaply) until there is some sign of the technology advance slowing down. It seems very likely that this is not going to be anytime soon and I will probably have to change/replace TV several times in the meantime.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-31-2007 11:06 AM In reply to

I think your post could have been titled "I am disppointed about LCD TVs"..

I bought my second hand BV3-32 exactly one year ago, and had to wait for one week for it to arrive by airfreight from France, with the freight & taxes costing me 50% of the TV price.

During that whole week I started wondering: am I stupid? crazy? Buying a CRT TV when everyone gets LCD & plasma screens? One day before the TV was delivered, I went to a TV shop and had a look at their flat screens: nice design, and that was it. Then BV3 came, was unpacked and connected, and I started playing Star Wars episode 3: all my questions were gone in less than the first 30 seconds of the movie!

Going back to BV8, although it is marketed by B&O as an entry level TV, it still is the world's most expensive 32' set ...after BV7! Same for BV8-26 and BeoCenter 6-26 ..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-31-2007 11:38 AM In reply to

Puncher:
    BartS:

So .................. they're only any good as digital photo frames!Laughing Sounds about right - certainly wouldn't spend thousands one one myself.

If I go flat panel, I think it will be with one of the mass producers (i.e. relatively cheaply) until there is some sign of the technology advance slowing down. It seems very likely that this is not going to be anytime soon and I will probably have to change/replace TV several times in the meantime.

Well it is not that bad that it is only worth watching photo frames. Big Smile I think it depends what you are watching. If it is DVD's and digital TV I think the latest B&O LCD's have come to the point that picture quality is beyond the Avant / BV3. With analogue sources not. It might be because of the lower resolution of CRT's which covers imperfections (like noise) in the source, while the higher resolution makes analogue sources nearly unwatchable on LCD's (it looks like films shot on an old analogue camcorder). Motion artefacts are still less under control than 100HZ CRT's but the difference is not that big anymore. If you don't want motion artefacts at all, go for a 50Hz Avant or the BV 3 28" or the MX-series.

• 12-31-2007 11:57 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Chrisreunion:

I think your post could have been titled "I am disppointed about LCD TVs"..

I bought my second hand BV3-32 exactly one year ago, and had to wait for one week for it to arrive by airfreight from France, with the freight & taxes costing me 50% of the TV price.

During that whole week I started wondering: am I stupid? crazy? Buying a CRT TV when everyone gets LCD & plasma screens? One day before the TV was delivered, I went to a TV shop and had a look at their flat screens: nice design, and that was it. Then BV3 came, was unpacked and connected, and I started playing Star Wars episode 3: all my questions were gone in less than the first 30 seconds of the movie!

Going back to BV8, although it is marketed by B&O as an entry level TV, it still is the world's most expensive 32' set ...after BV7! Same for BV8-26 and BeoCenter 6-26 ..

Could not agree more about the picture quality of the BV3-32. Even after 3 years I am still amazed at the picture quality.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-31-2007 12:25 PM In reply to

thank you, for all your reply. Yes, of course, there is sky in Italy (and sky hd). Actually I am using sky non hd. The real problem is that, after spending 3600euros, I have to add another 350 for the masterlink (NOW I CAN'T HEAR THE MUSIC! Moreover... the aux of my beocenter 2300 will be fit by the masterlink... so... no music from my mac...), and add another 20 euros for a splitter and... I have not a dvd player in blu ray from B&O... so a mess of cables and remote control... MOREOVER, if I spend 3600 euros I WANT THE BEST PICTURE OF THE LCD LEGUE AND THE BEST SOUND... why the sound is worst than the beovision 1????

I don't care about plast, I love plastic in the design... but I hate the floor stand (a cheap pastic cover for the cables...)... moreover no space inside the plastic cover to fit all the cables! where is the perfection of the project??? I want a perfect B&O low end object... but still perfect...

I love the design... but there are too many issues...

And last but not least... if I can get the best picture only in hd why just one hdmi?

• 12-31-2007 12:35 PM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Does this mean that whenever TV signals will be digital all over, image quality advantage BnO once had will disappear? With analog signals BnO TVs were just outstanding. But when I look at regular flat screens with digital feed, especially HD, it seems that the difference in image quality is small.

As I am building a house and will start with the wiring in a couple of weeks, I plan to install a BnO network. Though that for audio have no problem spending the money, for a BnO TV I have a bit of a concern spending that much money on a flat screen with arguments that have been written in this post. And I do share a lot of them. But on the other hand I do not want to have X remotes and no integration.

• 12-31-2007 12:36 PM In reply to

... happy new year!!

p.s. of course bv8 is always a b&o!

• 12-31-2007 5:25 PM In reply to

one hdmi on a tv costing nearly £3k is just plain daft

popgear is grate™

• 12-31-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

petz:

Does this mean that whenever TV signals will be digital all over, image quality advantage BnO once had will disappear? With analog signals BnO TVs were just outstanding. But when I look at regular flat screens with digital feed, especially HD, it seems that the difference in image quality is small.

As I am building a house and will start with the wiring in a couple of weeks, I plan to install a BnO network. Though that for audio have no problem spending the money, for a BnO TV I have a bit of a concern spending that much money on a flat screen with arguments that have been written in this post. And I do share a lot of them. But on the other hand I do not want to have X remotes and no integration.

The B&O tellies are the best picture on the market at the moment, it's just that the older B&O tellies, with CRT etc.. in many ways still outperformed the LCDs in terms of picture.

Now with HD, things are beginning to turn, and the latest BeoSystem 3 drive plasmas are beginning to stun with standard definition too...

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >