in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-13-2009 5:23 AM by vikinger. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-30-2009 6:46 PM

On-Line Pre-Owned B&O Dealers

What's the general experience with on-line dealers?

I have been looking for a BV1/BC1 and other equipment. Enquiry to Lifestyle AV was answered very promptly and courteously.

Enquiry to Beo4life on eBay re the hours of use of a TV and whether the stand was motorised went unanswered (5 days), as did an enquiry to More Than AV re strong interest in one of their BV1's (c 10 days).

I know the easy answer is to say that if I was sufficiently interested I would pursue the matter by telephone (where the number is available) and we can all suffer from computer or internet provider problems from time to time, including missing email messages within dozens received, but I have to say that if dealers take the trouble to set up websites or sell on eBay then they should take the trouble to keep the sites up to date and to monitor interest expressed by email or through their on-line forms.Perhaps the demand for equipment is so high that the items sell themselves regardless..............!

What are the good and bad experiences of others?

PS I now am in the process of buying from a private eBay seller who responded promptly and convincingly to my queries.

Vikinguk

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Filed under:
  • 04-30-2009 6:57 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: On-Line Pre-Owned B&O Dealers

I have no personal experience of any of the vendors you mention other than knowledge of many others experiences - all are perfectly respectable and I doubt you will be disappointed with any of the re-sellers you mention.

I'm sorry you feel you've had a bad experience.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-30-2009 11:39 PM In reply to

So didn't you buy from Lifestyle-AV then,they responded quickly?  I have dealt with all companies with no problems at all, seems a shame you couldn't pick up the phone if your email went unanswered - I know More Than AV have moved recently and have nearly finished setting up unique demo facilities..... am not sure your EBAY seller delivers and offers warranty as well as a range of mounting/connectivity options and advice or hundreds of B&O products but point made. 

• 05-01-2009 1:19 AM In reply to

Hi Vikinguk

Having seen your post here, I've just found your question in the messages box on ebay.

We tend to monitor the ebay emails, but didnt get one for your question. Not sure why.

The bv1 didnt have a motor in it and is now sold. Our phone number is listed on the me page should you like to enquire on any other items in future.

Many Thanks

Brett

Regards Brett
  • 05-01-2009 2:33 AM In reply to

All I can say is that you will not regret buying from LifeStyle !

I have really good experience with them! I bought BC1 from LifeStyle, and I was more than satisfied! Service is good, BC1 came very well packed in original packaging. Lee, Matt, Gerrath answer all my question same day ! They are really nice and polite !

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 05-01-2009 3:40 AM In reply to

You got me bang to rights guv'. It was me that done it, or didn't in this case!

I can only apologise and explain the circumstances.

As you probably know, if you ask a question on eBay, a copy of that question is sent to the eBay account holders designated email account. I monitor the Beo4life email account during the day and questions should be answered within a couple of hours. This happens in 99.999% of cases BUT the procedure has been known to fail and no email copy is received.

It happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year and we get literally thousands of questions. There must be a set of circumstances where this happens but I cannot explain.

Brett and I have had a "discussion" this morning and we will try to ensure that it does not happen again.

Regards Graham

• 05-01-2009 4:15 AM In reply to

Thanks for the responses above!

In answer to the comment re Lifestyle, an item of furniture they had listed wasn't the model I wanted (plus a BV1). Had it been what I was after they might have offered a deal for the joint purchase.Price also comes into any discussion!

There are perfectly good and innocent reasons for messages being missed as decribed here.  There is also the risk that a junk mail filter dumps a response. However, as a prospective purchaser, a lack of response just makes you wonder whether there is some info being held back so that the buyer (or eBay bidder) finishes up taking a chance. 

Question for all sellers: as  B&O TVs have a permanent record of the hours of use in their software, why not put it into the ads as a matter of routine?

Vikinguk

• 05-01-2009 4:24 AM In reply to

Thanks to Beo4life Graham annd Brett for picking this up and responding via eBay (whose email transfer service failed.) (And for offering hours of use info if reqired on future prospective purchases.)

Vikinguk

• 05-01-2009 5:05 AM In reply to

Hi Vikinguk,

It seems to me that you have missed a key preowned uk online dealer,

email will always be slower than a telephone call as they personally deliver all over the country as well as offer a showroom for demonstration, with an office and mobile phone numbers available from 9am till 11pm 7 days a week, your sure of a quick response.

jason

• 05-01-2009 5:26 AM In reply to

OK. I have to say that Iconic do have a good website and that I was on the point of contacting them ...... when that private sale came along.

I am impressed by the fact that so many dealers (Official and Pre Owned) take notice of the Beoworld forums (in this thread and others)!

Vikinguk

• 05-01-2009 6:24 AM In reply to

Hi Vikinguk,

A few things to look out for on the BV1/BC1

1. If you require the masterlink option, double check it really has it, as the external socket is present even when not actually fitted, so at a glance it may appear to have it even when it hasnt.

2. Make sure the motor moves smoothly, as if it has ever been forced by hand at some point, the cast motor cog can become damaged and in the worst case crack and break, its not that common but definately worth checking.

3. If you require Powerlink or Stb check it has them, add-on modules are a pain to obtain after.

All thats left to say is enjoy your new TV. A beautiful set

jason

• 05-01-2009 7:25 AM In reply to

It's a BC1 standalone (and the seller has now gone quiet for the moment so I hope all is well and I don't regret taking the private route!)

I am not too worried about the STB or link situation. Already owning an Avant (one of the last produced) I am aware of how quickly the STB software dates and/ or limits you for choice of external Freeview etc boxes (unless you use a long-term standard box like Sky where the remote codes are kept the same regardless of updates.)

Vikinguk

• 05-01-2009 9:32 AM In reply to

Ok online B&O Dealers...............

LifeStyle AV - spent several thousand there over the last few years and currently waiting a response about a BeoLab 3000 issue when I unpacked it to finally use after being in storage for some time..... Generally ok though.

More Than AV - always slow to respond and not sure they actually do this full time (they might now I'm guessing?) and never did get a response back over some blue furniture.

Iconic AV - Slow to respond on email and never did get a response back when I gave them a list of kit  I was looking at selling.

Beo4Life - usually good on email responses and always helpful on this forum. Bought my AV9000 from them.

QDA - I've never used them but some of their stuff seems very expensive.

B&O shops on ebay, generally seem ok and I used Camberly before but would highly recommend Mike and the team at B&O Bath!!!!

Just my view on things, generally a bit of a naff service but if you turn up in person they all seem to be ok. Sad

BeoVisions (Nobby) - always seems to be able to sort TV's out, usually just by touching them!!!! - it's a long story about a BV1!

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 05-01-2009 11:00 AM In reply to

I think it a bit difficult to generalise about any dealer as all will have customers who are very happy and all will have a very few who are not. It is the nature of business that you cannot please all the people all the time even if you really try. All the above companies will have a majority of satisfied customers and have to offer value for money. I regard Lee as a personal friend so am biased in favour of Lifestyle AV - and of course am grateful for the role that Lifestyle play in keeping this site afloat.

However I recognise that Brett and Graham have always run an efficient ship and would have no hesitation in buying from them. They also contribute to the life on the forum.

I think it unfair to criticise More Than Av especially if they have just moved - they have a good site and I know that they too have many satisfied customers. I am sure they run the company as a business and not as a hobby. More Than Av are a well established dealer with good facilities.

Iconic Av equally have a most impressive site and offer a service to a different part of the country so again are most welcome.

I don't know QDA personally so cannot comment.

All in all, I think there is a good amount of choice and would advise anyone looking to buy to shop around to get the exact item they want. I have bought from Lifestyle in the past and will certainly do again. And as Lee will testify, I refuse discount so I can maintain my independence!

• 05-01-2009 11:26 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Can also recommend Lifestyle-AV for online business. I'm very far away, (and i can not call international numbers on my plan). They have been honest and most obliging in every expression of interest, they have had my business four times now (bought a beo1, then a motorbase for the BV3, then the Beocenter 1, then the Beolab 1). I'm absolutely wrapped with my experiences with them. Can not stress that enough, and if wasn't the first 3 times, they wouldn't have had my returning business. More purchases to come - dare i say. I can see that some other members are feeling the same way. Smile Their service and products are borderline addictive.

Personally, working in sales with people every single day, i understand how vital it is to be; friendly, responsive and helpful, even if you are not keen on them. Communications online are even more important, because you need to work harder to make that person feel comfortable enough to hand over thousands of pounds without ever even meeting you!

*edited*

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-01-2009 4:46 PM In reply to

Hi everyone,

I'm surprised that some of you have reported concerns with either IconicAV or MoreThanAV - I have purchased items for my own system from both Ian at MoreThan and Jason at Iconic and I have only the highest praise for them both.

I would buy from either company again without hesitation and I can recommend them both.

So why haven't I bought anything from Lee at LifeStyle yet?  No real reason, it all depends who has the item I want at the right time - I'm sure I'll be off to Eastbourne with my cheque book before too long.... Laughing

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 05-01-2009 5:06 PM In reply to

I have purchased an LC2, a BeoLab 3000 and a BeoSound Century from Lifestyle-AV. Nothing but high praise from my experiences as a customer. It was undoubtedly their polite, helpful and friendly attitude that made me want to buy from them. Their customer service is first class. Highly recommended.

Simon.

• 05-01-2009 5:18 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Heyup Simon - how ya doing? Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-01-2009 6:50 PM In reply to

I've bought quite a few items from MoreThan AV and found Ian to be quick to reply to emails and telephone calls and pretty helpful. Seems to get a lot of "new and unopened items" (the stuff I tend to go for). Last item I bought from him was only three months old according to B&O. If he runs that business as a hobby - as suggeted above - he must look a bit strange driving around in a brand new signwritten van!

I've not bought anything from Lifestyle although when I have enquired about items the guys there have been pretty helpful and always understanding if what they have is not quite what I've wanted. They have always been quick to come back if they are not sure about any enquiry and that's pretty good service.

I've not had any contact with Beo4Life or Iconic so cannot comment - their equipment tends to be a bit older than I usually look out for.

As for those trading on ebay - I'm sure there's good and bad but my experience suggests more of the latter, at least for B&O items. My advice - always check serial numbers with B&O. If the seller can't or won't give them then don't bid.

• 05-02-2009 7:17 AM In reply to

Re-sellers have been a touchy subject in the "official" B&O world historically - although this seems to be changing.

Always a difficult situation for dealers - as with cars & guitars - the only other areas I have any real knowledge /experience of buying used and/or new in - customers can go either way.

Speaking personally, I have only had contact with Lee (Lifestyle) and Ian (Morethan) and both have been very forthright and helpful.  In fact, via Beoworld, Lee came here and did a "live" monthly draw, which many here may remember - a good night all round.

Speaking professionally, King Street has tried to work with, rather than against, resellers.  There are several occasions where we have worked alongside both Lifestyle and Morethan - either for final fix and installation work "up North", or supplying new items alongside pre-owned  for "mutual"  customers.

To me, this makes sound business sense - a good recent example is chap who  bought some new Lab6000 wall brackets from here, to use with his "pre-owned" Lab 6000's.  His system has evolved over many years, some bought  privately, some via ebay, some from re-sellers and some ( minor bits Sad \) new.  He actually lives on the same street my gran used to - so whilst local to here,  he buyes "nationally" - which he is, of course, free to do.

In April, his best mate, who has seen the system installed,  and long admired it, took the plunge, and bought from King Street, a Bvis 7 40, Bsnd 9000 system for his new build house - with a couple of link TV's, and a 3500.  Recommendation is the best kind of advertising for any business (as I'm sure Lee knows).

On a related note - Steve at Sounds Heavenly is supplying splendid products for use with B&O kit, via Dealers and re-sellers.

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 05-02-2009 9:02 AM In reply to

Thanks, you're too kind! Big Smile

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 05-03-2009 4:09 AM In reply to

Also I must say I had great experience with Jason from Iconic-AV !

I bought from him mine BL8000 and I'm more than satisfied with service, mail correspondence and what I got !

So, I think all of them doing really great job... I must admit that MorethanAV is little bit cheaper than IconicacAV and LifeStyle but on the end wherever you buy it I think you will be satisfied !

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 05-03-2009 8:48 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Heyup Simon - how ya doing? Smile

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I am refreshed!

• 05-03-2009 4:44 PM In reply to

All of the B&O resellers mentioned need repeat business and recommendations to be successful, so I would be quite confident dealing with any of them.

Simon

• 05-03-2009 9:50 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

KingStreet:

Re-sellers have been a touchy subject in the "official" B&O world historically - although this seems to be changing.

Always a difficult situation for dealers - as with cars & guitars - the only other areas I have any real knowledge /experience of buying used and/or new in - customers can go either way.

Speaking personally, I have only had contact with Lee (Lifestyle) and Ian (Morethan) and both have been very forthright and helpful.  In fact, via Beoworld, Lee came here and did a "live" monthly draw, which many here may remember - a good night all round.

Speaking professionally, King Street has tried to work with, rather than against, resellers.  There are several occasions where we have worked alongside both Lifestyle and Morethan - either for final fix and installation work "up North", or supplying new items alongside pre-owned  for "mutual"  customers.

To me, this makes sound business sense - a good recent example is chap who  bought some new Lab6000 wall brackets from here, to use with his "pre-owned" Lab 6000's.  His system has evolved over many years, some bought  privately, some via ebay, some from re-sellers and some ( minor bits Sad \) new.  He actually lives on the same street my gran used to - so whilst local to here,  he buyes "nationally" - which he is, of course, free to do.

In April, his best mate, who has seen the system installed,  and long admired it, took the plunge, and bought from King Street, a Bvis 7 40, Bsnd 9000 system for his new build house - with a couple of link TV's, and a 3500.  Recommendation is the best kind of advertising for any business (as I'm sure Lee knows).

On a related note - Steve at Sounds Heavenly is supplying splendid products for use with B&O kit, via Dealers and re-sellers.

I can relate to this and i'm sure many people do this, mix and matching, because lets face it B&O isn't exactly easy to afford. It's wise to shop around the second hand market for those who have little money. My dealer here in Adelaide has always always been helpful, generous, honest, straight forward and a pleasure to deal with, but i do at times worry because 70% of my B&O is from other sources (ebay, lifestyle). I do my best to recomend them, but being so young, nobody else i know would feel in their right mind to buy B&O gear...

Just to mention here then, any Adelaide beoworlders (how many are there, two? Sad) i recommend B&O grenfell st, it is absolutely 5 stars from me - they've been 100% supportive with all of my enquiries, orders, and issues, going above and beyond the call of duty. Unmatched customer service so far with anything i've bought.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >