in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-23-2008 5:32 PM by Puncher. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2008 6:04 AM

• MikaelB
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Herning, Denmark
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

BeoLab 9 and ICEPower

I was wondering why B&O only chose to use a ICEPower unit for the bass, and not for the mid and high frequencies.

Does anybody know why they chose Class AB amplifiers in stead of the ICEPower?

/MikaelB

Filed under:
  • 01-23-2008 4:56 PM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 9 and ICEPower

Thy say it's because there is room for the heat sink. but think it's because thy used the AMP from BL1 Smile
  • 01-23-2008 4:59 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The BeoLab 9 uses a version of the BeoLab 1 chassis I believe.

Don't know why they used AB amps in the bass/mid and tweeter drivers, but it works Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-23-2008 5:03 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Not sure of the actual amp module used in the BL1 but if they're integrated class AB amps modules they will be fairly small (and fairly inexpensive). Class D amps particularly suit low frequency operation (high power, high efficiency and furthest away from any likely aliasing modulation artifacts).  That said modern day Class D amps for the upper ranges can be world class (BL5) but I doubt they are as economical as integrated Class AB amps for lower power ratings.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-23-2008 5:15 PM In reply to

Go on! Class D are cheap! The reason the BL9 uses Class AB is that it is based on the BL1 chassis which works very well. You simply don't need the high power for the mid range and the tweeter and AB technology is well tried and perfected. It also helps differentiate the BL9 from the BL5.
  • 01-23-2008 5:32 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter:
    Go on! Class D are cheap! The reason the BL9 uses Class AB is that it is based on the BL1 chassis which works very well. You simply don't need the high power for the mid range and the tweeter and AB technology is well tried and perfected. It also helps differentiate the BL9 from the BL5.

I would venture that decent quality integrated AB modules are still cheaper than decent quality Class D amps for power ranges of the order of ~50W or so (they are used in Car Stereos and "midi" domestic hifi's by the squillion (not to mention BL8000's).

Class AB modules take an analogue signal and in the same package drive speakers. Class D amps are getting there but I'm not sure they are quite so "off the shelf" at the moment.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)