in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-03-2007 9:34 AM by meandmyshadow. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-01-2007 8:17 AM

Beovision 8

The tube of my Beovision 3 just brokedown, after 6 years already.

Now I am considering to buy a Beovision 8 32" , but this one doesnot have a surround sound module.

Will this be available soon?

• 11-01-2007 8:30 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beovision 8

Just replace the tube! 6 years isn't very long, and the BV8 will never have a surround module.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-01-2007 8:42 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Even if the BV8 would have a sourround sound module, I would advise you to keep the BV3 and replace the tube, unless you don't like it anymore.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-01-2007 8:52 AM In reply to

that could be considered, but I also read some independent reviews that the BV8 has a really good picture and sound and its score is 8 (out of 10) on picture and sound.

• 11-01-2007 9:44 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

That's right, the BV8 has a good picture quility, and the (stero-) sound is even more impressive considering the size of the unit. But I doubt that the picture quality is better then on BV3...

• 11-01-2007 10:33 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Press information:

Why is a DSS module not available?

BeoVision 8 is designed and positioned as the flexible television meant to be used for casual entertainment,
    not dedicated home-cinema viewing - for this purpose concepts like BeoCenter 6-26,
    BeoVision 7, BeoVision 9 and BeoVision 4 are recommended.
    However, remember that it is possible to add two extra speakers and a subwoofer to BeoVision 8
    for a more powerful and intense sound experience.

• 11-01-2007 3:25 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Well this is the first time I have heard of the Tube going in a BV3. Mine is 3 Years old this Month, I hope it has nore than 3 Years life left in it.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 11-02-2007 9:24 AM In reply to

6 years isn't very long.. i have to wonder if there is some outside influence that has caused the tube to go.

I'm not sure that the BV3 has a better picture than the BV8. BV8 is pretty awesome on  picture but the sound isn't as good as the BV3 on sound, although still very good.

Do you use your BV3 for surround sound, because if you just want to add a pair of speakers you can just plug them into the BV8.

jazz

• 11-02-2007 12:01 PM In reply to

rickluuk:

The tube of my Beovision 3 just brokedown, after 6 years already.

Now I am considering to buy a Beovision 8 32" , but this one doesnot have a surround sound module.

Will this be available soon?

First thing to do is get your dealer to check the useage, if it is shown to have had very little use in the 6 years that you have had it, B&O may consider replacing the tube and you pay the engineers charge.  If however it shows that the TV has had a lot of use they will not.

I know a couple who's Avant tube blew after about 6 years, they insisted that they did not watch that much television.  This was true but on calling up the service menu it showed use of about 20,000 hours.  After some conversation, it turned out that almost every day she would put on the digital radio via Sky, what she did not do was turn off the screen.  The Avant had an image on the screen for about 12 hours a day, nearly every day.

I'm not suggesting that this is the case for you but if the BV3 has only light use B&O may be sympathetic.  Not guaranteed though.

• 11-02-2007 3:04 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

How much is "very little"? Sounds a little arbitrary to me... 

• 11-02-2007 3:30 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

True ... On the one hand I agree that 12 hours of watching TV everyday is quite a long time (luxury to some Big Smile , perhaps), but on the other hand, there is nothing mentioned in the B&O manual eg, that if you do that and the product fails it's your 'fault' ...
  • 11-03-2007 2:38 AM In reply to

saf:
    True ... On the one hand I agree that 12 hours of watching TV everyday is quite a long time (luxury to some Big Smile , perhaps), but on the other hand, there is nothing mentioned in the B&O manual eg, that if you do that and the product fails it's your 'fault' ...
    No, it isn't the individuals fault, infact in this case I would blame the dealer who installed the TV for not telling them how to mute the picture.  But the point is, it was used constantly and therefore the life of the TV in relative years was shorter.  We know that on average viewing B&O TV's have a life span of 10 years plus, I personally have an Avant of that age, but in this case it was not average viewing.The point I was making was, if the BV3 has had less use than what B&O consider is acceptable for tube life (I have no idea what that would be, let's say 10,000 hours) then they may offer to help, it would not be the first time.
  • 11-03-2007 6:45 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I think this is off-topic now, but it sure is interesting: is it the dealers job to show the costumer how to mute the picture?

IMO: no. The dealer shows the basic functions of the product, the rest is up to the costumer and can be found in manuals... or he can ask on beoworld.org Smile

• 11-03-2007 6:54 AM In reply to

I don't know how it works in your country, but in the UK the dealer has a responsibility to install and give full instruction on products they sell.

The point I have been making is don't write it off just yet, speak to the dealer, get the service counters, ask B&O and they might be a positive outcome.

• 11-03-2007 9:17 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I understand what you meant, and I would have done the same.

But would you blame your dealer if he had not told you how to mute the picture and would have the same problem now?

• 11-03-2007 9:34 AM In reply to

If, as was the case here, they had supplied me with the digital receiver at the same time and not shown me the full function, then yes, I would point the finger.  Legally I would not have a leg to stand on, but if I new the reason for the early demise of my Avant was due to lack of proper instruction on delivery of the equipment, then I would be very dissapointed with the service I had paid a premium for.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)