in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-18-2011 3:34 PM by camshaft. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-17-2011 10:21 AM

• Nidul
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-22-2011
    • Hitchin, Herts
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

BeoMaster 7000

Right Guys

As I posted last week, my flat got flooded, with all my newly purchased Bang and Olufsen equipment in it. I think it was about two days before I found out that there was a burst pipe!!Super Angry So I'm guessing that my system had to endure about two days worthg of condensation!! So I removed the system the other day, and after turning it on, it kind of came back to life although a little bit ill. One of my Beolab Penta's was playing up the screen went blank and one of the bass drivers was blowing real bad. Luckily I had 2 spare ones, one of which I used and that solved that problem. After replacing the driver I put a hair dryer towards the circuit at the bottom of the speaker and after a while the screen came back to life. Some if not all my mid range speakers need refoaming (which will be done at a latter date) So thats the story of the speakers.

Now for the Master System, which has behaved a little bit differently. I used to before the flood run an Ipod through the phono socket, I did try teh aux socket but to no avail. It worked fine, tape 2 is also not working. When I got the system home from the flat, the ipod worked through the phono socket for a little while then just stoped, I tried to select with my Beolink 5000 but nothing, my CD works fine. Now I have plugged it into the Tape 1 socket and seems to be ok. But none of my other functions seem to be working everytime I set the bass and treble etc it has to reset once I turn the system on and off. Now I love my system and want to repair it!

So I ring up Bang & Olufsen of Harpendan and explain my problems he tells me its F***ed and to claim of insurance, no parts available!! His service was crap absolutly useless. The issue I have is that it sort of still works and all it needs is a repair. PLEASE HELP ME GUYS!! I can't seem to get a beo 4 to work the system either. Am very annoyed and frustated. What do I do? Would it be advisable to get some help from one of the technical guys here on the forum? I think my system is due a service? recapping etc

One very Pissed Off Nidul

5 Avant 28" VCR, 2 Silver, 2 Black, 1 Red/Burgandy ;-)

2 Avant 32" VCR, 1 silver, 1 Red/Burgandy

BeoVision MX1500 Black

Beovision MX4000 in Blue with Matching VCR

Beovision MX7000 in Grey with Matching VCR and Active Speakers

1 BeoCord VX7000 VHS VCR

Beocom 1401 with 2 AV Control base 

BeoSystem 7000; BeoMaster 7000, BeoGram CD7000, BeoCord 7000 Cassette Deck.

1 Attyca Stand 

BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5000, 1 MCP 5500, 6 Beo4  

2 Penta II, 2 RL 45.2

I-Pod Connection!

Trying to MasterLink It all!

• 11-17-2011 1:11 PM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Re: BeoMaster 7000

I think your best plan is to put all your gear in room with a dehumidifer and leave it there for a few days. If thats not an option lots of silica gel in sealed plastic bags left in a warm room.  Using a hair dryer can just move the moisture somewhere else. If you can open the units up all the better.

Damp circuits can work but with current added it can corrode and oxidise so avoid turning it on. I have a lot of experiance with underwater camera systems and the old "classic" stuff  could usually be salvaged, so take your time.

• 11-17-2011 7:26 PM In reply to

• Nidul
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-22-2011
    • Hitchin, Herts
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

Hi there I did Remove it all from the flat and into a small heated room. But My Beomater is playing up big time, or it could be my beolink 5000 not sure really, I think I need help from the one and only Dillen (Martin) After the flood the system seems to be getting worse! If you are listening Martin Could you please help me!!! Thanks Nidul

5 Avant 28" VCR, 2 Silver, 2 Black, 1 Red/Burgandy ;-)

2 Avant 32" VCR, 1 silver, 1 Red/Burgandy

BeoVision MX1500 Black

Beovision MX4000 in Blue with Matching VCR

Beovision MX7000 in Grey with Matching VCR and Active Speakers

1 BeoCord VX7000 VHS VCR

Beocom 1401 with 2 AV Control base 

BeoSystem 7000; BeoMaster 7000, BeoGram CD7000, BeoCord 7000 Cassette Deck.

1 Attyca Stand 

BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5000, 1 MCP 5500, 6 Beo4  

2 Penta II, 2 RL 45.2

I-Pod Connection!

Trying to MasterLink It all!

• 11-18-2011 3:34 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

My first move would be to open the covers and put the components next to a dehumidifier.  There's a good chance they're salvagable.  Water is not the simple killer of electronics many fear it is.  Pure water is a relatively poor conductor, and the voltages found in the system typically aren't high enough to conduct through the water and cause a short.  The problem is that water from a water pipe (let alone anywhere else in your house) will be far from pure, and likely high in dissolved minerals.  The dissolved minerals act as a conductive pathway through the water.  Furthermore, when the circuit boards get wet, any dirt/debris/etc on the board can be pulled into solution and create a conductive pathway across the traces, creating a short.  Before turning anything on I would first make sure the internals are completely dry.  Then I'd use oil-free rubbing alcohol, or circuit board cleaner if you have it available, and gently scrubs the boards with that and a toothbrush.  Good luck.

Austin

P.S. definitely unplug and stop using the system for now though.  I noticed you said above you're still using it and it's getting worse.  When you have a small short starting to conduct between two traces on a board it has a snowballing effect.  That is, once you have enough minerals/salts in solution on the board to get a small amount of current flowing, that little bit of current draws more minerals/salts into the conduction path, thus lowering the resistance of the short and making the short worse.

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)