in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-13-2011 3:24 AM by tournedos. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-06-2011 12:16 PM

BG7000 adjustment problem

I have a BG7000 that needed the infamous drive cord attachment fix. I've done it twice before and never had any problems.

However, now something is fishy. If I try to restring the wire per the book (arm carriage to the center stop, the large pulley anticlockwise to the stop), the wire doesn't seem to fit where it should. The knot is 5-8 mm to the center of the pulley instead of in the recess it should land in.

If I finish the job like this, everything works, but the rest position of the arm is too close to the record (about 11 mm from the edge of the platter to the stylus, whereas on my 6500 the distance is about 16 mm).

Something must be wrong in the gearing, but I can't seem to find what. The large pulley turns freely as it should while restringing, and I've driven the mechanism back & forth a number of times which should sync it.

Any ideas?

-mika

• 04-06-2011 12:29 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: BG7000 adjustment problem

Could the wire have gone in the wrong way ?
    I seem to remember that the knot is not at the center of the wire.

Martin

• 04-06-2011 12:40 PM In reply to

No, it's the fixed (no string) loop first, then around the eccentric...

I actually managed to (sort of) sort this by keeping the carriage ~6mm away from the center stop while stringing the wire and everything seems OK. I just don't like the idea of letting this out from my hands like that in case whatever is wrong snaps back in place later.

-mika

• 04-06-2011 1:11 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

tournedos:

I just don't like the idea of letting this out from my hands like that in case whatever is wrong snaps back in place later.

Whistle

Are you going to let that BG out of your hands at some time?

I doesn't really need a BG7000 but the other three parts of my 7k system on the shelf look a bit lonely without the last part... Laughing

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 04-06-2011 1:19 PM In reply to

Thanks for asking, but unfortunately it's not mine to sell Big Smile

After adjusting the set down points, it is now passable - the rest position of the arm is perhaps 2 mm more inwards than in my other decks. On the other hand, it seems to stop playing a bit earlier... just as if the whole travel of the carriage was one notch shorter than it should be.

-mika

• 04-12-2011 12:56 PM In reply to

I apparently had a particularly clear day, as I now had the good sense to open another Beogram to compare.

This is the insides of my Beogram 9500, which is still running on the original holder for the arm drive cord. This shows how everything is positioned when the arm has been manually pushed as far in as it will go. So I suppose everything is in order here.

Take a look at the upper runner bar and the arm carriage. There's a definite ~5mm gap between the arm assembly and the bracket for the bar. Am I just missing some kind of a stop for the arm in the 7000, as the correct setting apparently cannot be gapless although the service manual tells to push the arm all the way in?

-mika

• 04-12-2011 1:01 PM In reply to

And for comparison, here's a similarly scaled pic of the problematic Beogram 7000. Everything seems to be in the same position...

...although I spot one difference, do you? Wink

-mika

• 04-12-2011 11:13 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    although I spot one difference, do you? Wink

Cord

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 04-13-2011 3:24 AM In reply to

Spot on! I had routed it via the wrong side of a pivot for some cams Embarrassed

That doesn't affect the adjustment at all though, just made the cord a bit tighter than it was supposed to be.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)