in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-07-2011 5:03 AM by tournedos. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2011 11:04 AM

beomaster 7000 connect to beogram cd 7000

Hello everyone iam new on here, i have a quickish question ...  iam trying to connect my cd 7000 to my beomaster 7000 via data link. the problem iam having is that the din plug on the cd is only 5 pin. It does look like pins 6 and 7 have been unscrewed  and did not comewith it when i bought the cd player. From reading other posts about this i gather you can screw some  pins back in to the holes this is ,but on closer inspection of the din cable itself it only has 5 wires conecting to the 5 pins so wouldent pins 6 and 7 be useless with no wires connected to them for data link ?  i  have a  beo link 1000 and would really like to use it to skip track etc. Any advice would be grate full. Thanks

• 01-03-2011 11:28 AM In reply to

Re: beomaster 7000 connect to beogram cd 7000

The CD won't need audio input lines, so even the 7-pin connector will have two pins unused. Therefore the cable only needs five wires (ground, L out, R out, data, and data ground). If you take a closer look, you should find that the non-connected pins are 1 & 4, not 6 & 7.

So unless somebody has been in there rewiring the plug for some unknown reason, your problem should still be sorted after just installing the missing two pins. The problem is where to find them - I don't know if the dealers have them anymore, but it won't hurt to ask. You can actually omit data ground, so one pin should be enough.

If everything else fails, 7-pin 270° DIN plugs (with all pins fixed) are nothing special and easily available, so you could replace the entire plug. I agree these CDs are really annoying to use without working remote control!

-mika

• 01-03-2011 12:06 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply mika helpfull info so could i just take a pin from an old din plug and put it in to the hole?? would this work? becuase at the moment when i connect  the din plug to the cd input in the beomaster the sound is realy low and i mean really low i have to connect via line out socket.. thanks again

• 01-03-2011 12:37 PM In reply to

The original pins have a thread. If you try to stick something else in there it won't stay. Try to get hold of the original detachable pins or replace the plug.

Sounds like you're also missing the dummy plug from the line in/out socket... without it, the preamp and poweramp of the Beomaster aren't connected together at all, thus no sound except for some crosstalk. You need to bridge pin 1->3 and 4->5 in that socket.

The original dummy plug is a white plastic thing with these connections. It's easy to build one from a spare 5-pin plug, but in a pinch a couple of paperclips will do - I don't recommend it though as the socket may get damaged mechanically.

-mika

• 01-03-2011 1:38 PM In reply to

You only need one extra pin - I can never remember which one!

• 01-03-2011 2:12 PM In reply to

hiya thanks again  think iam going to have to solder a new din plug on, do you know the wiring diagrams for the pins  currently it has 2-ground  5-black  3- yellow  1- white  4-red. are these correct and can i use these for the new din iam going to solder on.

Thanks again 

• 01-03-2011 2:39 PM In reply to

If you really have only those five wires in the cable and they really have been connected like that, the cable cannot be original or somebody has rewired it. In that case the colours can be anything.

Since you get sound out, 2, 3 and 5 are correct, but I'm afraid the only way to trace the data wires is to open the CD deck and see where they go.

The Beomaster CD socket uses pin 7 for data and 6 goes nowhere. 6 & 7 are connected together at the CD (I was wrong earlier when I said one of them is for data ground).

-mika

• 01-03-2011 3:14 PM In reply to

ok thanks i guess ill have to open the cd and trace the wires as yes i only have those 5 wires in the cable.. ill investigate further

• 01-04-2011 1:09 AM In reply to

ok just to clarify and make sense of this wiring on the din..... you need Ground. R/output. L/output. which is fine, but i still have 2 wires left are these data send and data recieve? and what pin or pins do they go to?  or both wired to pin 7.

Thanks again.

• 01-04-2011 3:34 AM In reply to

There is only one data signal. On the Beomaster, it goes to pin 7.

On the CD end, you need to connect it to whereever the pins 6 and 7 of the original cable used to be... I can't remember how it looked, but hopefully it is rather obvious; the PCB might even have the solder points for a DIN socket although one is not installed.

EDIT: but by all means connect the signal to both 6 & 7 on the Beomaster end, so the wiring will be just like original.

Those two "extra" wires might be the original 6 and 7, and somebody has only rewired the plug for some odd reason. Could have even been a stupid attempt to compensate for the missing in/out dummy plug at the Beomaster - did you buy these at the same time in this condition?

-mika

• 01-04-2011 8:43 PM In reply to

yeah thanks for all your help its been very usefull,,, but iam still stuck on what colour wires go to what pins in the din plug. I have searched for a diagram but cant find one anywhere. All i know is ground is the wire that is sleeveless and goes to pin 2, as for the other 4 wires i cant make out what colour is R/out and L/out, and i will have 2 wires left over which i do not know which pins they go to.

• 01-04-2011 10:18 PM In reply to

hey sorry forget that last post, ive found a diagram that shows what colours to what pins. PIN 1 = YELLOW=OUTPUT LEFT    PIN 2=SHIELD =SIGNAL GROUND

PIN 3=BLUE=INPUT LEFT            PIN 4=RED=OUTPUT RIGHT

PIN 5=GREEN=INPUT RIGHT       PIN 6=BLACK=DATA GROUND

PIN 7=WHITE=DATALINK

• 01-05-2011 8:11 AM In reply to

Please disregard the colours. There is no standard for that, and the diagram you have quoted above doesn't even match the wires that are now correct in your plug (ground, L and R - pins 2, 3 and 5 respectively - must be right since you apparently got sound out of the CD).

I still suspect somebody has messed with the wiring before, as pins 1 and 4 are not connected to anything in a correctly wired Beogram CD plug. There is NO OTHER WAY to be sure where these wires go than to open the CD and take a look. If you feel you're not up to that, take the CD deck to somebody who can install a correctly wired 7-pin DIN cable for you.

Having said that, I believe those two extra wires should go to the data pins and some confused person has moved them to 1 and 4, but, see above...

-mika

• 01-05-2011 11:12 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

To add to the confusion, the pins in the DIN socket are not numbered
    from one end to the other. F.e. pin 2 is the center pin of the seven.
    I may be able to supply a correct pin or two to screw in to the original plug (if it's still on the cable).

A photo or two of what you have, would help us help you.

Martin

• 01-05-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

Oh yes, definitely be careful with the numbering of the pins. Most DIN sockets and plugs have the numbers printed beside the pins.

As I had some cleaning work to do, I took a couple of reference pics of my BG CD6500 (should be internally the same as your 7000). The original cable is colour coded like this:

2 ground
    5 red (right)
    3 white (left)
    7 blue (datalink)

...so forget about the colours in your cable, they will not match anything, but 2, 5 and 3 should be already correct. That leaves the Datalink connection to be found & fixed, and it's unfortunately a little bit more work than I anticipated from memory.

The instructions for opening the CD lid should actually be printed on the underside of the deck, do that first. The DIN cable is attached on the component side of the top circuit board. You will need a Torx T10 driver to remove the screws around the board perimeter - except the two that are conveniently marked with "DO NOT LOOSEN". The screws are of differing lengths and with different washers, note which one goes where. Then the board hinges up and locks as shown.

-mika

• 01-05-2011 12:30 PM In reply to

And here is a closeup of the area in question, with the thick DIN cable coming up from the bottom of the pic. It is connected to a 5-pin connection header, contacts from left to right:

- left out (white)
    - ground
    - ground
    - not connected
    - right out (red)

...and the wire going to the top right corner (blue in this case) is the Datalink signal wire that should be connected to pin 7 in the DIN plug.

This is what you should somehow manage to accomplish. The Beogram CD is a delicate machine - be very careful inside it, and if you feel at all unsure, have someone more experienced do this for you.

Hope this helps Smile

-mika

• 01-05-2011 8:48 PM In reply to

Thanks , most helpful. The photos really give me some idea of how the layout is, and as you say if i can locate the data link cable inside the cd then that should solve the problem of the colour for pin 7.  So the ground is fine and left and right output also, including the data link wire that makes 4 wires. i guess the 5th wire is terminated and goes nowhere as you refered to before. Thanks these forums really are valuble.

• 01-06-2011 5:30 AM In reply to

Think ive solved the mystery, and you were entirely correct after lifting the pcb board and investigating, the original b&o din cable has been cut and joined to another cable for some reason by the previous owner. the layout is the same as yours coming from the pcb board , white, black, black ,red and the blue data link which has been terminated in electrical tape. They are joined as follows to the other cable red-red, white-white,  black-black, yellow-yellow. the yellow i guess is one of the black grounds. but why does the colour change.? Anyway the blue data link is just terminated. added some pics to explain better.

• 01-06-2011 5:50 AM In reply to

• 01-06-2011 5:55 AM In reply to

OK, that makes sort of sense... the original cable was probably cut / damaged for whatever reason, and somebody has done a quick fix without much understanding.

Leave the audio wires alone as they are now correct, and replace the plug with a 7-pin (or use the one you have now, if you can locate a spare pin for it). Then use one of the unnecessary wires (to pin 1 or 4 now) to route the blue wire from the CD to pin 7, then you should be sorted Smile

The cable split looks like a horrible mess, but never mind if it works. Make sure to insulate the connections so they can't short to anything on the circuit board.

-mika

• 01-06-2011 9:24 AM In reply to

Ok all wires are now connected  and audio is ok, but when using the beolink 1000 remote only volume responds.  when you try to skip a track or press any button i get a horrible loud bleeping sound from the speakers and no response. Any idea what this could be? Bit of a nightmare but an experince this has been.Smile

• 01-06-2011 10:47 AM In reply to

You have apparently shorted the Datalink wire to one of the audio signals. Go back and do it properly.

-mika

• 01-07-2011 4:15 AM In reply to

Ok Finally! all wired correctly and working well. At last! Thanks again. Been a  real help. Any suggestions on some B&O speakers that work well with this system?

Thanks. 

• 01-07-2011 5:03 AM In reply to

Great! Wasn't such a simple job you expected Smile

A Beomaster 7000 is convenient in that you can use any B&O speakers you wish, from the vintage passives to the latest Powerlink-equipped active speakers.

Recommending any single model usually results in an argument... I have passive Pentas with my 6500 system, and I'm quite happy with them. Something like RL60.2 would be good as well for a completely different look. From even older speakers, S45-2 are lovely.

Some active speakers with displays would of course be nice - Pentas were often sold with these when new.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)