in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2011 3:27 PM by Lotus1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2011 3:40 PM

MX4000 / MX4002 UHF problem

Hi,

I have three MX4000's, two of them have a UHF input problem i want to fix - the cable has to be "jiggled" about in the UHF socket (of the TV) when TV / Sat or DVD is selected, or the picture is noise and sound is hissing. Anything coming through the UHF cable does this, radio and CD are good every time.

Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem, my regular B&O dealer has had them back twice - still not fixed.  The TV's are in link rooms with ML and UHF cable, not possible to run anything else or have a local video / tuner as the TV's are wall mounted on stands.

A mate has suggested if i cannot get the UHF input working reliably i could connect an old B&O VCR to my BS2 (in another room) and call it Video Aux, then use a "UHF to Scart convertor" hidden behind the MX and select Video Aux as the input in the MX4000 menu.  Before buying a used B&O video, can anyone tell me if the ML will pass the required control signals to the remote VCR even though the MX thinks it is connected locally?

Regards,  Martin

• 02-28-2011 5:30 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Re: MX4000 / MX4002 UHF problem

Lotus1:
    ... the cable has to be "jiggled" about in the UHF socket (of the TV)
    when TV / Sat or DVD is selected ...

... indicating, either the socket of your TV or the plug of your cable loosened.

If the plug is ok, resoldering / changing the socket on the tuner board should help.

If the picture is always noisy, an amplifier for the antenna signal (close to the source = main tv) will help.  

• 02-28-2011 6:56 AM In reply to

Thanks Vienna, have had them both in bits and positive there is no loose connection on TV sockets, no dry joints at all.  Also tried with short flylead direct to UHF distribution amp to prove cable, still noisy until "jiggled" Sorry i realise everything points to a loose connection / dry solder joint but there isn't one.

Problem resolves by jiggling plug at TV socket, would like to try replacement tuner anyway if anyone can supply one please? (picture only noisy when first switched on, until cable jiggled)

Thanks, Martin

• 02-28-2011 9:19 AM In reply to

Try changing the link frequency on the main TV and then retuning. I had a problem with two Avants in that I couldn't get a stable picture every time on the linked Avant, but yet a samsung tv in the kitchen got it perfectly every time. I changed the frequency a few times and it was then fine/.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 02-28-2011 12:06 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

ajames:

Try changing the link frequency on the main TV and then retuning. I had a problem with two Avants in that I couldn't get a stable picture every time on the linked Avant, but yet a samsung tv in the kitchen got it perfectly every time. I changed the frequency a few times and it was then fine/.

Good idea! 

Unfortunately you did not describe the layout of your antenna cables and the type of your main tv.

Are you using the B&O RF Link Amplifier to distribute the RF-Signal or are you doing this via the modulator
    of a VCR? 

PS:  there are a lot of solder joints / cables / internal sockets & plugs on the tuner module beeing able to
    "respond" to "jiggling"

• 02-28-2011 3:27 PM In reply to

Vienna:

Are you using the B&O RF Link Amplifier to distribute the RF-Signal or are you doing this via the modulator
    of a VCR? 

PS:  there are a lot of solder joints / cables / internal sockets & plugs on the tuner module beeing able to
    "respond" to "jiggling"

Hi, this is an ususual setup - there is a BS2 as the "main room" source controller and a distribution amp with it's own feeds (CCTV mainly) spliced in.  There is no issue at all on non-B&O tv's, a BV7 and 3500 speakers, nor was there an issue with an Avant when I had one.  There are three Mx4002's and this "fault" goes with two of them.  various link frequencies have been in play over the years and this problem has always been there.

It behaves like a classic "loose connection / dry joint" fault - but - i have had the boards completely out & can't find anything amiss.  B&O dealers have allso had both sets back twice years ago now it's getting too annoying.

I would be happy to abandon the RF input (i don't even have an aerial) IF i can just have RF channel changing (CCTV modulators) from a remote DVR feeding the MX via RF but converted to scart at the back of the MX.  Will the VCR be controllable through the ML in much the same way as the (remote) DVD player menus are available?  I never had a stand alone VCR, just the Avant, so i don't know.  i realise i would need to choose AV or whatever the scart is plugged into at the MX so is this a non-starter to expect a remote VCR to be controlled when the MX is displaying input from a local source - the RF to scart convertor.

Can i use 9.5v min applied to scart Pin 8,  taken from somewhere in the MX when TV is pressed, to force it into AV?  If the MX is forced rather than selected AV i wondered if it would pass the channel up / down selections over the ML  - the remote VCR can be left on at all times by not including it as a link product to anything, can't it?

I like the MX's but can't have a local VCR to swap RF channels and want to retain the Beo4 control - is there any other way to save the MX?  Sorry if the above is  bit messy, to be absolutely clear: THe MX RF is dodgy, Scarts are OK, How can I get RF via the scart and still control a remote device capable of switching RF channels - like a VCR

Thanks

• 02-28-2011 3:27 PM In reply to

Vienna:

of a VCR? 

"respond" to "jiggling"

Hi, this is an ususual setup - there is a BS2 as the "main room" source controller and a distribution amp with it's own feeds (CCTV mainly) spliced in.  There is no issue at all on non-B&O tv's, a BV7 and 3500 speakers, nor was there an issue with an Avant when I had one.  There are three Mx4002's and this "fault" goes with two of them.  various link frequencies have been in play over the years and this problem has always been there.

It behaves like a classic "loose connection / dry joint" fault - but - i have had the boards completely out & can't find anything amiss.  B&O dealers have allso had both sets back twice years ago now it's getting too annoying.

I would be happy to abandon the RF input (i don't even have an aerial) IF i can just have RF channel changing (CCTV modulators) from a remote DVR feeding the MX via RF but converted to scart at the back of the MX.  Will the VCR be controllable through the ML in much the same way as the (remote) DVD player menus are available?  I never had a stand alone VCR, just the Avant, so i don't know.  i realise i would need to choose AV or whatever the scart is plugged into at the MX so is this a non-starter to expect a remote VCR to be controlled when the MX is displaying input from a local source - the RF to scart convertor.

Can i use 9.5v min applied to scart Pin 8,  taken from somewhere in the MX when TV is pressed, to force it into AV?  If the MX is forced rather than selected AV i wondered if it would pass the channel up / down selections over the ML  - the remote VCR can be left on at all times by not including it as a link product to anything, can't it?

I like the MX's but can't have a local VCR to swap RF channels and want to retain the Beo4 control - is there any other way to save the MX?  Sorry if the above is  bit messy, to be absolutely clear: THe MX RF is dodgy, Scarts are OK, How can I get RF via the scart and still control a remote device capable of switching RF channels - like a VCR

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)