in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2010 6:30 AM by KingOfSnake. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2010 7:05 PM

Lower a BeoVision 10-40 on motorised base

In the market for the BeoVision 10-40, however I don't like the way the TV sits 10cm high on the base. it just looks wrong

Does anyone know how easy it would be to shorten or lower the pole so the TV sits just suspended off the base, just as the gorgeous BeoVision 5 did.

I've photoshopped how I think it should look.. 

Lowered BeoVision 10

Filed under:
  • 06-25-2010 7:10 PM In reply to

Re: Lower a BeoVision 10-40 on motorised base

Looks great!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 06-25-2010 8:21 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Divingnut:

Does anyone know how easy it would be to shorten or lower the pole so the TV sits just suspended off the base, just as the gorgeous BeoVision 5 did.

... looks gorgeous but ...

the limiting factor for lowering will be the required  thread engagement to
    safely attach the pole to the base plate and the space needed for the
    connection plugs!

Having modified a table stand BV7-32 / no BLB 7.1 in a similar way
    I remember it has been a lot of time and effort 

- You'll have to dismantle the pole to protect the cable during cutting
    - Very probably you'll have to modify the cable feedthrough
      to get enough space for the connection plugs     

You'll need a metal-craftman or precision tools  to
    - cut the pole precisely
    - cut the threads

good luck ! 

• 06-25-2010 8:26 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Divingnut:

In the market for the BeoVision 10-40, however I don't like the way the TV sits 10cm high on the base. it just looks wrong

I've photoshopped how I think it should look.. 

Lowered BeoVision 10

This is excellent, it looks alot better. I do not understand why B&O did not use this length stand for BV10. Future update? Come on how much would it actually cost them to cut the pole 15cm??

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-26-2010 12:14 AM In reply to

I'm surprised that people like the idea of reverting back to the low stance. B&O have been visually cheating the physical reality of televisions for years now. Making the Avant look like it was a flat screen hanging on the wall, for example. The BeoVision 10 is genuinely as thin and visually light as B&O have long deigned their TVs to look and I was delighted to see that they emphasized this by letting it float off the ground. To my eye, lowering it to nearly the base of the stand is going in the opposite direction and making a very slim television look large and heavy. 

To each their own I suppose.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-26-2010 9:26 AM In reply to

I replaced an LX5500 with an Avant 32 and much prefer the landscape or 16:9 look of the LX. Room ceiling height is a determining factor. The Avant would IMHO still have the same 'picture on the wall' effect if it were 100mm lower yet be much less bulky and dominant in the room. The BV10-40 is far better proportioned although I can understand why many would still prefer a lower stance depending on their room dimensions and TV position in relation to other furniture etc. Compatible adjustable stands would be a useful addition. 

• 06-26-2010 11:14 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    The BeoVision 10 is genuinely as thin and visually light as B&O have long deigned their TVs to look and I was delighted to see that they emphasized this by letting it float off the ground.

I can understand that...

OTH, I always thought the BV5/9 looked like a painting in an artist's studio -slung down low like they are. They are (were) distinct.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-26-2010 1:19 PM In reply to

I liked the idea of lowering the 10 until I read your comments. Now I realize, for the reason you stated, I much prefer it as it is made.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-26-2010 3:14 PM In reply to

burantek:

I can understand that...

You're going soft old man!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-26-2010 3:39 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Not sure how being 10cm off the floor emphasises it's thinness. If it did they could've done it with the BV5 to mask it's thickness!

I prefer the "close to the floor" look, it looks as if it were meant as opposed to just being on a stand.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-26-2010 5:47 PM In reply to

Puncher:

Not sure how being 10cm off the floor emphasises it's thinness. If it did they could've done it with the BV5 to mask it's thickness!

I prefer the "close to the floor" look, it looks as if it were meant as opposed to just being on a stand.

I think that it emphasized the lightness rather than the thinness. 

• 06-26-2010 5:50 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

Puncher:

I think that it emphasized the lightness rather than the thinness. 

Still prefer the "close to the floor" look - purposeful, rather than on a genric "TV stand".

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-26-2010 7:14 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

Still prefer the "close to the floor" look - purposeful, rather than on a genric "TV stand".

Precisely. Close to the floor (judging only by the photo) gives it a stately prescence, it looks cheap / flimsy imho, on its standard stand. Lets make it happen, it should at least be an option... STB brackets??

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-29-2010 8:52 PM In reply to

B&O should have made the height of the floor stand adjustable in the first place, or offered two height options. Both heights satisfy different people and look good. I emailed Gavin Sykes at STB last November and here was his response:

"We will probably not make a lower floor stand, B&O would not like us to play with their latest concept and to be honest I love it on the stand. In fact, I have it on the stand in all three of My B&O stores."

However, it is possible that if more people email him about this he may change his mind! Unfortunately, even if he comes out with a lower version it'll be hard to justify the purchase since I've already paid $$$ for my stand.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 06-30-2010 5:48 AM In reply to

I actually agree with both sides. The stand does make the TV seem to float and it looks great - but you can then see the cables which is not so great.

• 06-30-2010 4:45 PM In reply to

Looking at photographs of the rear of the BV10, it should be quite straight forward to make 2 x 6mm thick spacer bars for this with 4 holes in each.

Think a shape like this with two holes counter-sunk one way, two holes the other. Easy.

1x14_black_x4.jpg image by andrew61987

• 07-01-2010 12:56 PM In reply to

Hey, sounds like a good idea! No cutting to the stand itself - I like it. My only concern would be the tilt mechanism. The tilt is not motorised and holds its angle by friction. Adding spacer bars might disrupt the balance so the angle won't hold. Unless it can be locked into place.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 07-03-2010 6:30 AM In reply to

I agree, the TV looks far better in BV5/BV9 stance.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)