in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-01-2010 11:42 AM by chartz. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-15-2010 5:06 AM

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Beocord 2200 power switch problem

Hello,

I've now got a superb Beocord 2200, in as-new condition. I think it was never really used. The woodwork looks new too, which is rare. Everything is shiny, no dust whatsoever, even the power cord looks new!

It works fine too. It sounds great, as Tim Jarman said in Hi-Fi World last month. Azimuth is set perfectly, and no wow or flutter. Impressive. [edit: wow is indeed audible after recording].

Happy? No, because at first it didn't power up. On close inspection, I discovered a tiny V shaped spring in the case, which belongs to the power switch. After hours trying to put it back in, I gave up. It is impossible! I can see exactly where it goes, but because of the spring stiffness I'm unable to put it in its place (which is obvious).

Edit: I finally managed to put it back, but the spring won't hold in place (I guess some plastic thingy broke inside), I will have to find a replacement switch. Also, when I record from my BM 6000 the input saturates (the rec pots are below 1 for 0dB). But there's no treble loss. 

Any ideas please? Would anyone here have the part?

Thanks

Jacques

Jacques

• 04-28-2010 1:13 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Re: Beocord 2200 power switch problem

Hello,

I realized the original belt is good (elastic and firm) but from 30 years of non-use, it has kept the 'memory' of the motor pulley! 

Is there any way to get it back to perfect roundness?

Jacques

Jacques

• 04-28-2010 3:34 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Let it run for 30 years ?  Laughing

No, seriously, replacing the belts is the only way.

Martin

• 04-28-2010 4:23 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Okay then. I suppose you have these Martin, right?

Jacques

• 04-28-2010 4:45 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes.

Martin

• 05-01-2010 11:42 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hello to all,

I still have my defective power switch but I managed to make some recordings by turning the belt by 90 degrees so that the motor pulley imprint is less audible. I modified the input by lowering the level (by adding 470 k resistors to the AMP input). No passive or active components were replaced.

The motor speed was wrong (too slow) and once having re-adjusted this the test could start in earnest.

It's true, as Tim Jarman pointed out in Hi-Fi World, the recordings lose little of the original. Of course you can hear less high treble, but what is there is not dull at all (Sony UX).

The only criticism is a lack of profound bass, but then I'm comparing it with a Beocord 9000, which almost has too much of it!

On a mechanical point of view, the deck is not very silent, the glass reed relay (click-click-click!) is clearly heard but it's the way it was designed... A bit of felt around it maybe?

A great little deck then. Of course mine is near old stock condition! I wonder if it's on a par with a contemporary Nakamichi 600, which is very similar, technically (I had a look at the service manual!).

Jacques

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)