in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-11-2010 7:49 PM by commit832. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-30-2009 4:11 PM

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Apple TV adds internet Radio

Apple posted a new software update for the Apple TV yesterday in the US and now you have a new user interface plus access to internet radio stations.  Still maybe not a Beosound 5 but better than before.  

• 10-30-2009 4:57 PM In reply to

Re: Apple TV adds internet Radio

I agree but it isn't much better.  There is still the same tired selection of movies.  I recently bought a Bluray player and started renting from Netflix.

The internet radio stations are only AAC+ or MP3 type stations which is limiting.  Most online radio stations use mostly Windows media player which I am sure will continue for a long time.

The future is downloaded HD movies and internet radio.  Apple is just taking too much time.  I have had my AppleTV for almost 3 years.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-30-2009 5:43 PM In reply to

linder:

I agree but it isn't much better.  There is still the same tired selection of movies.  I recently bought a Bluray player and started renting from Netflix.

The internet radio stations are only AAC+ or MP3 type stations which is limiting.  Most online radio stations use mostly Windows media player which I am sure will continue for a long time.

The future is downloaded HD movies and internet radio.  Apple is just taking too much time.  I have had my AppleTV for almost 3 years.

I never use internet radio anyways.

Apple is starting to look like B&O when it comes to the apple tv. Not much has changed since it's launch besides a couple of software updates.
    Either they are working on a major new apple tv concept(which is way overdue and will be sprung on us at some apple convention), or they have no clue where to take the ATV concept next ...

I just can't see the update as a precursor for a new and improved ATV.

Last year I invested in a mini mac instead...love it.

• 10-30-2009 5:43 PM In reply to

linder:

I never use internet radio anyways.

Apple is starting to look like B&O when it comes to the apple tv. Not much has changed since it's launch besides a couple of software updates.
    Either they are working on a major new apple tv concept(which is way overdue and will be sprung on us at some apple convention), or they have no clue where to take the ATV concept next ...

I just can't see the update as a precursor for a new and improved ATV.

Last year I invested in a mini mac instead...love it.

• 10-30-2009 8:39 PM In reply to

Every time I head of an update to AppleTV I have a foolish spark of hope that they'll finally open it up to a variety of video formats, but I know that would mean the total capitulation of the entire movie industry (which I would probably hear about before the AppleTV update!). 

I'm just sick of managing all my videos, most of which are .AVIs in an awkward list. I've tried Boxee & XBMC (even hacked onto the AppleTV), but they're so buggy I've ended up leaving them behind. 

One day.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-30-2009 8:56 PM In reply to

linder:

Limiting??? I thought MP3 is the most used streaming format for online radio stations...

• 10-30-2009 9:16 PM In reply to

Trip,

What's your opinion of the Tvix 6500, which B&O recommends for managing video libraries?

• 10-31-2009 1:45 AM In reply to

Aaaaargh, the upgrade wiped all the songs off my Apple TV - so just started uploading the 90gb of music which takes about 3 days over wi-fi.

• 10-31-2009 4:08 AM In reply to

beojeff:

Trip,

What's your opinion of the Tvix 6500, which B&O recommends for managing video libraries?

I have now apple tv for my CDs and Tvix 6500 for my DVDs.

• 10-31-2009 3:51 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Finally..... way overdue since it could have been incorporated from the beginning. Until this update I had dedicated an old G4 17" laptop to send internet radio to the ATV. Now it is a one box solution for my current needs, both audio and video.

BTW I find the selection of movies to be quite good (and getting better) particularly documentaries. Just watched a very good one for a second time: "Helvetica" which is about the ubiquitous nature of this font and the effect that fonts have on society.

Seek simplicity and distrust it. Alfred North Whitehead
  • 10-31-2009 4:56 PM In reply to

Peter

I think there something called ATVFlash which claims to open up Apple TV.  

Has anyone here tried it?

AP

• 10-31-2009 5:07 PM In reply to

I have considered it but have not tried it.

http://www.atvflash.com/product_info.php?products_id=27

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-31-2009 7:18 PM In reply to

linder:

There is still the same tired selection of movies.

I would definitely recommend a hunt through the Genres, instead of the main page. Particularly Independent Films -- fantastic treasure trove of hundreds of titles.

• 10-31-2009 9:01 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

I have considered it but have not tried it.

http://www.atvflash.com/product_info.php?products_id=27

This software does not yet support the new Apple TV 3.0 software but the site indicates they are working on an update.

• 10-31-2009 11:23 PM In reply to

mr_anders_son:

beojeff:

Trip,

I have now apple tv for my CDs and Tvix 6500 for my DVDs.

I hate it! It's grossly overpriced for what it does and is not Mac compatible! I've found the best luck with a WD media w/ a Lacie HD attached. It's simple, inexpensive, and supports every codec. I'd like to be able to add remotely, but it takes so long it's easier just to plug in via firewire and zip movies over. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-01-2009 3:49 AM In reply to

Overpriced?

Not Mac compatible?

hmmm please explaine!!!

• 11-01-2009 11:03 AM In reply to

mr_anders_son:

Overpriced?

Not Mac compatible?

hmmm please explaine!!!

When I say overpriced, I'm comparing it to two different products that I've tried:

1. WD Media (which I use the most at home): The WD media retails for $99us, and is designed to be used with a USB capable HD. I use a LaCie 1.5TB drive and both sit in my rack. What I particularly like is that if you take the time to gather jpegs of the DVD covers, they will show up on screen making browsing very nice and easy. The Tvix box's menus aren't particularly ugly, but titles appear strictly as a list.

2. LaCia LaCinema Rugged: I use this one when I travel and occasionally use it on the TVs in my office and den where my other media servers don't reach. It's very inexpensive (starts at $149us) and offers very basic functionality. The menus are very spare, but clear, and the drive itself is remote controlled. 

I ended up paying about $600 for the Tvix unit for my store only to find that I cannot connect a Mac to it with USB to transfer files (the drive mounts, but the content shows as locked and cannot be added to or transferred from). When I encountered this I also found that the company also offers no tech support (at least in the US). There is little documentation except on how to insert the hard disk that needs to be purchased separately. I know that some other buyers have wound up buying hard disks that are incompatible and did so because no guidance is offered in any documentation. The only reason I bought the correct one is because it's only available through Amazon and "people who bought the Tvix also bought..."

So I've tried just about everything and there's no perfect solution (in my opinion), but the WD media is at least cheap and easy to use.  

• 11-01-2009 11:14 AM In reply to

Mac and Windows use different file systems, I think you may have formatted the disk incorrect. This happens sometimes with USB sticks and the read only mode kicks in. Google NTSC and MAC 

That aside I do not like the ATV neither do I like Tvix which is nearly as expensive as a Mac Mini which I also do't feel is pefec as it doesnt work completely keyboard less.

A Apple TV kind of device with Boxee or Plex like software, that would be it.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 11-01-2009 11:23 AM In reply to

1. You can connect to MAC without any problem.I do

2. DVD/CD cover works ofcourse to, and it´s very easy to get them

• 11-01-2009 11:28 AM In reply to

It's not like Boxee or Plex where the software roams around the internet looking for trailer description and coverart is it?

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 11-01-2009 11:34 AM In reply to

I purchased a movie with iTunes extras using AppleTV 3.0.  I had to boot AppleTV a few times for it to work properly.  I have the original AppleTV with the smaller disk.  Maybe that's the problem.

I think I am somewhat impatient with the AppleTV product in general.  The selection of movies is getting better but I would like to see more HD content.

There is probably a new AppleTV on the horizon.  Maybe the new AppleTV will be more than a hobby as SJ constantly refers to it.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-01-2009 11:36 AM In reply to

yes you can but  you will use another program

But this you do when you rip the movie

I have clone my own movies and use 3TB Harddisk to store them in 100% resolution and

use chapter, DD, DTS etc etc as it was a DVD in a DVDplayer

• 11-01-2009 12:32 PM In reply to

It certainly looks like the Tvix 6500 is an affordable substitute for Kaleidescape. After having all of my music accessible via BeoSystem 5, I find that I no longer need the CDs. It's nice to get rid of that clutter. It would be great to be able to do the same with my DVD library and have it accessible via the Tvix 6500.

• 11-01-2009 1:08 PM In reply to

beojeff:

It certainly looks like the Tvix 6500 is an affordable substitute for Kaleidescape. After having all of my music accessible via BeoSystem 5, I find that I no longer need the CDs. It's nice to get rid of that clutter. It would be great to be able to do the same with my DVD library and have it accessible via the Tvix 6500.

Yes Kaleidescape goes for aprox 9500EUR!!!!

But I think Tvix is not useble for CDs, Apple Tvis the best option

• 11-01-2009 2:16 PM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Is it possible to rip blu-rays into the Tivx or it only accept the SD DVD ?

I'm very tempted to rip all my DVD collection on a machine which work with the PUC and the Beo4/Beo5.

I've already rip all my Music into the BeoMaster5 and access it with the BeoSound 5, it's a delight...

The Tivx maybe the solution and is use by B&O for some demos.

But with the new HD area and the Blu-Ray format, i'd like to rip the Blu-Ray into the machine.

And i think i'm ready now for the brand new BeoVision 10, so Blu-Ray are the way to go i think.

Is the Tvix a solution or... ?

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >