in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-02-2009 8:27 AM by chartz. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2009 2:11 AM

Any recommendation for a beginner's deck.........

Normally, I don't listen to LPs.  I don't like "pop and crackle".  However, now I've developed a collecting bug of the songs of my youth for nostalgic reasons.  

Problem is most of the songs are only available in LPs.  So I don't have a much of a choice.

I won't listen to them in LPs often, my plan is to transfer them to cassettes and r2r.

• 09-18-2009 11:43 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Re: Any recommendation for a beginner's deck.........

I strongly recommend the 1202 turntable with an SP12 cartridge.  It will be about half the price of the linear tables and my ears can't tell the difference between my 1202 and SP12 cartridge versus my 4002 with MCL20 cartridge.  The 1202 is also less likely to be damaged in shipping.  Just give the seller the usual precautions - remove platter and pack underneath the turntable; tighten locking screws under the platter; tape the arm down to the deck (not with the cartridge on it!).

Austin

Also, there's no pop and crackle on my 1202.  To give you an idea, I was playing a record quite loudly for my cousins, who are both professional musicians.  I mentioned the "record" I was playing and they stopped and said "wait, you mean this is a vinyl that we're listing to?"  Then they both walked over and leaned down to stare at the turntable :-P

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 09-19-2009 2:46 AM In reply to

I would suggest a Pro-ject Debut. Reasonable quality, takes easily replaced and cheap cartridges and will be very easy to use. If you are just using to transcribe, you want something cheap but good sounding. This one can also come fitted with a built in phono amplifier.

• 09-21-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

I'll keep that in mind, I've been listening to and comparing various B&O turntables and pleasantly surprised by their sonics.   I couldn't detect "pop and  crackle" at all, even though I could from other brands.

So far, I'm not very impressed with technics and yamaha turntables.

• 09-21-2009 11:56 AM In reply to

Peter :

I would suggest a Pro-ject Debut. Reasonable quality, takes easily replaced and cheap cartridges and will be very easy to use. If you are just using to transcribe, you want something cheap but good sounding. This one can also come fitted with a built in phono amplifier.

How would you compare it to B&O turntables?   I heard the sound, which is definitely an improvement over technics and yamaha turntables, but compared to B&O turntables, they seem a little too flat.

• 09-21-2009 2:12 PM In reply to

I would upgrade the cartridge but I think they actually sound rather good - the record support beats the average Beogram hands down!

• 10-01-2009 3:35 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Ah, I had assumed you specifically wanted a b&o turntable.  If you have no attachment to b&o, then I'd definitely just pick up a Pro-ject as Peter recommended.

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 10-01-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

Well, looking at the prices of beograms available from ebay, refurbished ones, the price is still attractive compared to pro-ject table.

• 10-01-2009 5:31 PM In reply to

True, but a decent cartridge will be expensive! That is the problem. You must understand that I have Beograms myself (more than is strictly sane) but I also have a rather large supply of cartridges. I wouldn't want to start collecting these again.

• 10-01-2009 11:53 PM In reply to

Peter :

..I also have a rather large supply of cartridges.

Have you compared the Sound Smith cartridges with Ruby cantilever (SMCC 2 / 1 / 20CL) with the aluminum cantilever (SMCC 3 / 20EN) ?  I'm seriously considering 20CL or 20EN.  Wondering if 20CL is worth almost 2x the price.

• 10-02-2009 1:46 AM In reply to

No, though a friend is doing that right now! I have an SMMC20EN and it does have a more modern sound characteristic than the original B&O cartridges, 20CL included. A review will be here soon!

• 10-02-2009 2:03 AM In reply to

Great!  Anxiously waiting for the result.

• 10-02-2009 8:27 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

So am I, although my SMMC20EN is already on its way home...

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)