in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-13-2009 3:46 PM by burantek. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-13-2009 12:42 PM

• zjacs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2009
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

BeoVision Avant PC Hook Up

Hi All - I am new to BEO and to BO ownership so please forgive this seemingly simple question.

I have a BeoVision Avant 28 DVD and I want to connect my laptop to the unit. I have purchase a VGA to SCART connector and the laptop recognizes the monitor.

Does anyone know how to configure the TV to display the laptop? I found the config on the menu but cannot figure out the proper settings.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 08-13-2009 1:24 PM In reply to

Re: BeoVision Avant PC Hook Up

You need to assign a socket as V.Aux and attach the laptop to that socket - what else do you have attached and to where? Do you have the reference manual?

• 08-13-2009 1:40 PM In reply to

• zjacs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2009
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Peter - Thanks for your reply. I have nothing else connected to the unit. All three sockets are free. Sockets are labled as Decoder, AV and V Tape. When the cable is in the Decoder it does not read the connection however the other 2 are detected by the laptop.

I have tried to hit the Menu button then went to 3 Set Up, then 5 Connections. At this point I have the 3 socket names (as expected) so I go to AV to conicide with the socket where the cable is connected. I have assigned the AV socket as V Aux but there is also the option for STB V Aux. I havent done that one. 

So it appears I have the cable attached properly and the socket assigned. Now how to I view the AV socket input?

Thanks Again.

Chris

• 08-13-2009 1:49 PM In reply to

Windows I assume...

Might you have to jog the laptop's output to the VGA socket?

Look around the F5/F6 area -usually used in conjunction w/ an Fn key on lower left of KB.

Short of that, RClick on your desktop and play with the display settings, the "second" monitor should show up there.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-13-2009 1:56 PM In reply to

• zjacs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2009
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Sorry I may not have been clear on this. I have the signal going from the laptop OK. It is Vista and cntrl F7 sends and splits the video output. I need to know what to use on the TV remote to access the new assigned socket for AV as there is no AV button on it. There is only the following:

TV

Light

Radio

SAT

DVD

CD

Vtape

Record

ATape

None of those seems to work.

Thanks,

Chris

• 08-13-2009 2:04 PM In reply to

Ok then...

Take a look here... and substitute V.AUX for A.AUX...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-13-2009 2:19 PM In reply to

• zjacs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2009
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Jeff - Thanks but nothing is EVER easy for me! I guess it is just my luck.

I do not have the A Aux as an option in the Connection menu nor as a Socket. Also the List button does not seem to do anything.

What am I missing here? This cannot be this dificult.

Thanks Again.

Chris

• 08-13-2009 2:28 PM In reply to

zjacs:

Jeff - Thanks but nothing is EVER easy for me! I guess it is just my luck.

I do not have the A Aux as an option in the Connection menu nor as a Socket. Also the List button does not seem to do anything.

What am I missing here? This cannot be this dificult.

Thanks Again.

Chris

Hold, you don't want AAUX! you want VAUX!

1.) You hooked up the cable from VGA->AV on the Avant

2.) You have named that port "VAUX"

3.) Follow the instructions on that LINK I provided, BUT SUB "VAUX" instead of the "AAUX" in that LINK.

...If you successfully added the "VAUX" to the "LIST" on the Beo4, you should be good!

4.) Beo4 should read "TV" at the top, with the set on.

5.) Press "LIST" repeatedly on the Beo4 when in "TV" mode until it displays the newly added "VAUX"

6.) Press "GO"

...All assuming you have "VAUX" able to be added to the Beo4. Otherwise, a bad cable or as in my initial post, the laptop isn't pushing the video.

OR! Might your Avant not be able to handle VGA input??? <searching and will post later>

I am not home, so I can't go much further, hopefully someone else may come along!

P.S. Welcome to BeoWorld... this will be sorted!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-13-2009 2:47 PM In reply to

• zjacs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2009
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Jeff - I think I am getting somewhere. I can see where List is displaying but I am not getting the option to add. I am getting TV, Format, Stand and Speakers. I was expecting the List to show up on the screen not on the LED readout so I was looking in the wrong place.

I am pretty confident that the PC is pushing the signal as the laptop is detecting the TV. I guess it is possible the cord is bad and I will test as soon as I can.

Understand that you are not available. I do greatly appreciate your help on this and thanks for the welcome.

Chris

• 08-13-2009 2:56 PM In reply to

zjacs:
    Jeff - I think I am getting somewhere. I can see where List is displaying but I am not getting the option to add. I am getting TV, Format, Stand and Speakers. I was expecting the List to show up on the screen not on the LED readout so I was looking in the wrong place.

OK. You are getting there Yes -  thumbs up

Now, from that link I posted earlier... (thanks SAL!)

1.) Press LIST and STANDBY (the RED DOT) simultaneously to access function screen (on the Beo4 screen, not the TV)

2.) Press UP or DOWN until you see ADD?

3.) Press GO

4.) Press UP or DOWN until you get to VAUX

5.) Press GO

6.) Press EXIT

Now...

1.) With Beo4 screen showing TV

2.) Press LIST until VAUX shows on Beo4 screen

3.) Press GO

Also, take a look here and here for other possibilities or search for VGA AVANT on the site (your Avant may not be able to handle VGA???)...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-13-2009 3:00 PM In reply to

Sorry - went missing for supper! Jeff has it! Use V.Aux , not STB V.Aux. I would use the AV socket as this is RGB, the decoder socket is not.

• 08-13-2009 3:20 PM In reply to

• zjacs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2009
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

PROGRESS!!

I was able to get the BEO4 configed and now have VAUX on it and can switch. I am not getting a signal and looking at the links you sent, it does not seem this will work using a standar VGA cable. It seems I need t get an S vid cable. Is that the way you read this? Or it is the cable.

Again Man thanks. I just recently moved to Germany and am trying desparetly to get this to work so I can see some Amrican TV via my SlingBox. If I have to go the S vid route then its a small price to pay.

Peter - No problem, we all have to eat, Mate Big Smile

Chris

• 08-13-2009 3:25 PM In reply to

zjacs:

PROGRESS!!

I was able to get the BEO4 configed and now have VAUX on it and can switch. I am not getting a signal and looking at the links you sent, it does not seem this will work using a standar VGA cable. It seems I need t get an S vid cable. Is that the way you read this? Or it is the cable.

Again Man thanks. I just recently moved to Germany and am trying desparetly to get this to work so I can see some Amrican TV via my SlingBox. If I have to go the S vid route then its a small price to pay.

Peter - No problem, we all have to eat, Mate Big Smile

Chris

Well, good for you! Yes -  thumbs up Beer

Regarding the cabling... VGA, SVideo, etc... I hate to, but I will recuse myself at this point! I am in the US w/ an 8490 Avant, so I really can't advise any further.

I think you are close, so before you drop any money, wait for confirmation from another member!

Good Luck!

BTW, I have just recently started studying "SLINGBOXES" -why not just buy a SLINGCATCHER and plug it to your Avant, and bypass all of the above??? Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-13-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

• zjacs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2009
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Thanks again.

Slingboxes are great. I used mine located in California while I worked in the UK for 2 years. I havent seen the Slingcatcher but I will check it out.

Later.

• 08-13-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

zjacs:

Thanks again.

Slingboxes are great. I used mine located in California while I worked in the UK for 2 years. I havent seen the Slingcatcher but I will check it out.

Later.

Look Here.

Product #3 ...catches your output from your SLINGBOX (from the same company). This would do exactly what you want and includes all the required cables! You don't even need to bring your laptop into the picture [bad pun, sorry!]. In fact, and in total hindsight... If you would have said the word "SLINGBOX" in your original post... I would have said: "SLINGCATCHER" in the second post! Laughing At least now you can setup a Beo4... Wink

Let us know how you get along! I would really be interested in hearing more about your SLINGBOX!

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)