in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-27-2009 8:14 AM by Dillen. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2009 7:43 PM

Help troubleshooting my Beogram 8002 turntable

I'm new to the Beoworld forum but I purchased my first B & O turntable, (3000 I think), as a starry eyed teenager in the early 70's. Seems like it was around 300.00 and I had to throw a lot of newspapers to pay for it. Now I have an older Beogram 8002 which I rescued from a pawn shop around 1990. It has been closeted for several years after I got into CD's heavy. Maybe 10 years ago I had it out and transfered a couple of albums onto CD and it worked fine. Now I have brought it back out and would like to return it to it's proper place on the componenet shelf. However, upon trying to play, I discovered......it won't.

The drive coils hum and the platter tries to spin backward momentarily as the tonearm also hums slightly and seems to try to move. While this is happening the LEDs'  flicker the 33 numbers shortly before everything stops. Also I notice the red arrow on the tonearm flickering for a moment. All of this happens in maybe 1 1/2 to 2 seconds. Trying the turn, play or tonearm transport buttons all end with this same response. If I unplug the unit and then plug back in I get the same response. I have tried with and without a record on the platter and get the same result.  My soldering skills are decent, but my troubleshooting of electronic components not so much, although I do have a copy of a repair manual. 

Any help in the troubleshooting and/or locating parts would be much appreciated.

Mike

• 01-05-2009 4:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Help troubleshooting my Beogram 8002 turntable

Welcome to Beoworld !   Yes -  thumbs up

Your Beogram is showing typical symptoms of aging and dried out capacitors.
    A kit is available (from me) for curing this.
    While in there, it would make good sense to check for craked solders, especially
    at the main board edge connectors but also where the ribbon cable goes from the processor
    housing to the main board and in the power supply and recitifier areas.
    If you do a forum search, you will find many other posts regarding these issues.

Martin

• 01-27-2009 8:10 AM In reply to

Martin,

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me how much for your Cap kit and how do I pay you for it. Also, do I have to change every cap on the board or just a select few? Thanks again.

Mike

• 01-27-2009 8:14 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Mike,

The kit contains all the caps you need plus component location charts (board photos etc.).

You have a PM regarding the cap kit, check your inbox in the top right corner.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)