in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-10-2009 3:55 PM by Russ. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-05-2009 7:55 AM

Connecting BeoLab 6000 to Mac Mini

Hi all

I've connected a Mac Mini computer to my (non-B&O) television, and now I'd like to connect a pair of BeoLab 6000 speakers. I believe there's an adaptor available to convert a 3.5mm plug (from the mini) to a powerlink cable (6000), and then I would 'daisy chain' the powerlink cable to the second speaker.

Is this correct? Can I control volume using the mini?

I've read in other posts that another B&O system is needed to control volume - I do have an Ouverture in another room, but I don't really want it next to the television.

Hopefully this makes sense...

Thanks in anticipation

Stuart

• 04-05-2009 9:42 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Connecting BeoLab 6000 to Mac Mini

Actually you want a mini to RCA(phono/chinch) male-to-male adaptor set, easily available from any electronics shop; tell them that you want ot adapt an iPod to a CD input on your stereo, but be sure to get long enough cables.

Plug the RCA males into the line inputs on the 6000's, set the selector to 'line' and you're off and running!

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 04-05-2009 10:29 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

RE adjusting the volume, you may find that the normal OS X volume control is too sensitive. I discovered recently you can hold OPTION + SHIFT at the same time to do more accurate adjustments...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-05-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

Okay - I'd forgotten about the RCA inputs on the speakers. Sounds simpler.

Will waking the mini from sleep trigger the Lab 6000s to turn on, and equally will putting the mini to sleep turn them off as would happen if a BeoSound system was connected to them? Or is this a function of a powerlink cable?

Great tip about the option + shift key volume adjustment.

• 04-05-2009 11:25 AM In reply to

Just read the manual and answered my own question - yes they do turn on once they receive a signal from the source. I really should read the instructions before posting slightly inane questions...

• 04-05-2009 2:51 PM In reply to

Hi futurist,

Never worry about posting "slightly inane" questions - we love them as they are easier to answer! Big Smile

If you need more info on the cables to connect your Mac Mini to your Beolabs, just click on my sponsor link at the foot of this page.

For reference, the Beolab 6000's will only sense a music input when using the Line mode, as the 8pin sockets require a Powerlink trigger signal from a B&O source to switch the speaker on.  Hence a 3.5mm mini-jack to 8pin DIN cable would not be of any use here.  Only Beolabs 3, 9 and 4000 mark 2 (ICEPower) would use this type of cable, as they do not have separate RCA inputs when used in Line mode.

Hope this helps!

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 04-10-2009 11:51 AM In reply to

Well I've connected the Lab 6000s to the Mac Mini and they work fine, except that when they are in standby mode, switching on a light anywhere in the house triggers them to turn on as though they were receiving a source (indicator light changes from red to green and speakers hum). Subsequent light switching on results in a sharp "crack" sound until they go back ito standby mode again. Quite strange.

I'm guessing it is to do with the way the house is wired. No problem with my Lab 1s connected to a BS 9000 with powerlink cables however.

Any ideas? How do I stop it, apart from not turning on lights? Is it doing any damage?

Cheers

• 04-10-2009 2:17 PM In reply to

Hi futurist,

This sounds like it could be a problem with your house wiring, but I can't think what could cause this!  Why not check the Beolab 6000's by plugging them into the Lab 1 Powerlink connections to check that they are OK when used with a B&O source?

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this?

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 04-10-2009 3:55 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Do double check as Steve suggests; but be prepared to conclude that the issue is indeed in the house's wiring.  I would begin by locating any dimmers or dimmer switches in the house.  Disconnect them where possible, and turn them all-on or all-off otherwise and see if it makes any difference.  There may be nothing for it; I just moved from a 3-story townhouse where the light switch in the hall bath caused a loud pop in the speakers connected to my computer in the office.  You may want to have an electrician look any further.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)