in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-30-2008 8:52 PM by beoguy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2008 8:34 PM

Beolab 2500 half as loud as mate?

Embarrassed

So I picked up the 2500's today.  I should learn that when the auction says "untested, but previous owner said they work" that they mean there is indeed a fault with them.

Well one of them plays just fine, and the other one's output is quite low.  Switched powerlink sockets to be sure, also switched cables to be extra sure. 

Any ideas?  Simple fix I hope (board switch?  I'm good at that!

Guy

• 06-25-2008 6:34 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 2500 half as loud as mate?

My guess is that the tweeter is blown.

Check by measusing it's resistance. When blown they are usually a dead short.

Regards Graham

• 06-25-2008 7:55 AM In reply to

Ok...thanks Graham, I will test that later today.  Gee, it would be nice if that's all that's wrong.  Is this a common fault with these?

Guy

• 06-26-2008 7:51 AM In reply to

Very common fault with all the Beolab range but especially 2500 and 6000. I have replaced loads of them.

The replacements come with components to upgrade the protection circuit but this does not seem to have cured the problem.

Regards Graham

• 06-30-2008 8:52 PM In reply to

Found time today to check the tweeter.  It measures 14 ohms.  This was my first time using a multimeter, I had the dial set to 200 ohms, and then used the black and red prongs.

So I am guessing that that reading is normal?  I proceeded to open the speaker up for a look see. Everything seems pretty clean and normal, except what I think is the transformer (ovoid wrapped with copper strands and shiney plastic?) has a few amber blobs under the shiney plastic.  Normal?

Also, when I have the working 2500 hooked up the the MX 5000 and "insrtuct" the tv to use powerlink, the little green light turns on.  But once I have turned off the tv, the light never returns to red?

Guy

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)