in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-29-2009 4:43 AM by k984942. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-18-2008 4:34 PM

Which coax cable?

Hello everyone, am a first timer here so be gentle. Am about to run a master link around the house to link everything together, but what i nead to know is which would be the best coax cable to run around too. want to link sky, pc, main tv in the lounge, kitchen tv. all the cables are internal and nead to be able to carry HD picture too. Thanks for any info in advance...Dave

• 06-18-2008 5:10 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Which coax cable?

For normal TV rf then use RG-59 or RG-6 type cable. I'm not sure the HD signals are available on coax. type connections (they typically require cable or satellite connections which is a different cable type altogether) they normally would use HDMI connections between the STB and the display/TV.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-18-2008 7:25 PM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Hi Dave and welcome to the site.

If you want to use the B&O link standard, you are linking data/audio with masterlink and data/audio/video with masterlink+coax. For the video, B&O uses multi-channel RF modulator which means the source emits PAL or NTSC signal on a specific frequency to be decoded only on the desired link set. Due to the type of signal and the decoding/coding operation, you will not have a HD signal (the output would have to be DVB broadcasting but B&O is not there yet). Also, Masterlink is analogue stereo.

Boxes (transmitting decoded signal, not broadcast signal) like Sky, DVD, HDR, beamers can use HDMI, DVI, component or RGB interfaces for transmitting HD content. Non HD content can be transmitted through composite and s-video interfaces.

For your PC, depends what you want to do. For music/video, you can use BeoPort with a coax to a dedicated video card: this way you can play mp3 from your computer to your B&O sets, listen music and video from a B&O set on your computer.

I hope that helps. 

• 06-19-2008 2:04 AM In reply to

For SD (Standard Definition) RF transmissions from the master "Link" output of a Beovision to the link rooms I suggest you use double screened CT100 or FT100 coax cable as below

Example of pricing for this cable is HERE

Regards Keith....

• 06-24-2008 5:28 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

One of the world's probably best aerial cables is from Webroe states called  WC100, which uses air as isolator, it can now gets in different colors (WF100 is the foam versionen where Fét stands for foam or foam isolator)
    Here the difference between a arial foam cable and air cable

(Its a messy site , but I notice that its cheapest to order cut lengths), for example, costs 15 metres WC100 only about £ 150 including postage delivered to your door. The service is indispensable to UG and since England is an EU country, there is no problem with extra costs/tax
    Coax cables does not need to be colourless and sad anymore !

Including some examples of cable all of which belong to the best end of the scale,

More info in this article here http://www.glodark.co.uk/cable.htm

Fig. Fig. 2: Different types of dielectric. 

Top left, foam dielectric used in type B cable. 

Top right, semi-airspaced used in type D cable. 

Bottom left semi-airspaced used in type C cable. 

Bottom right semi-airspaced used in type A cable. 

...........B&O ICEpower..............
    Because everything else is a waste of energy!
  • 01-27-2009 10:09 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

For a short indoor connection between TV's is there any benefit in buying some of the super expensive IXOS or QED coax cable, or would the Maplin cable Keith suggested above suffice?

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 01-27-2009 12:01 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

k984942:

For a short indoor connection between TV's is there any benefit in buying some of the super expensive IXOS or QED coax cable, or would the Maplin cable Keith suggested above suffice?

I would happily buy the cable recommended by Keith. Anything more expensive is likely to be a waste of money.

• 01-27-2009 5:45 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Do yourself a favour and run a Cat5e network at the same time !!!!! Also consider the following uses of cat5e cables:

Cat5e can be used to carry HD signals.

Then again Cat5e can be used to carry virtually anything you like and is v cheap..................

masterlink has done us proud but is on its way out......................

• 01-27-2009 8:15 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Umm regarding the cables insulated with air, AIR is not a screen against electromagnetic interference! What a load of cable hoop-lah Laughing

People who spend that much (150 pounds for 15m) on cables make me want to cry

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-28-2009 3:19 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Dave:

Umm regarding the cables insulated with air, AIR is not a screen against electromagnetic interference! What a load of cable hoop-lah Laughing

People who spend that much (150 pounds for 15m) on cables make me want to cry

It's not there to screen, it's the insulator between screens and core. The geometry of the cable gives it it's characteristic impedance.

• 01-28-2009 7:27 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

I'm not too technically minded. What would running Cat5 replace? The masterlink or the aerial cable?

What interfaces/adaptors would I need ?

Thanks

• 01-28-2009 5:12 PM In reply to

Cat5e / Cat6 is for future purposes. At least for B&O though.Wink

You can easily run all media content there is through one cable.

• 01-29-2009 4:43 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

But right now, to link Avants I'm better off with the traditional masterlink and RF cables?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)