in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-07-2010 3:14 AM by Claus. 37 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2009 10:10 AM In reply to

Re: Beovox S75 capacitors

Of all the B&O speakers I've heard and owned - from '60's Beovox 2200 to Beolab 8000 - I have to agree that they may not sound so special with hard rock, but they really shine with classical music. CX's may be an exception, but most of the others seem to love string quartets and similar assemblies. And thanks for going through the trouble of posting the pictures! Photo threads may not attract that many comments, but I'm sure most of us would agree that they are one of the core attractions on Beoworld.

-mika

• 11-13-2009 4:10 AM In reply to

• miouzeek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2009
    • FRANCE - LYON
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Hi everybody, Smile

I' m about to rebuilt S75's crossover ( SCR for caps / resistance ??  ) & i want to know the nature of some parts (see photos).

Can i replace this 3 parts by classic caps ? or specific ? Idea

- the evox, the grey one & the wicon.

Thanks for the help.

• 11-13-2009 4:13 AM In reply to

• miouzeek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2009
    • FRANCE - LYON
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Cool rest of the photos...

• 11-13-2009 5:08 AM In reply to

Hi and welcome Smile

The white Evox cap is a plastic foil capacitor - they don't particularly age, so there's no reason to replace them unless they are damaged.

The others will need to be bipolar electrolytics, not regular polarized electrolytics. If you wish to go high-end, you could also replace them with plastic foil capacitors (MKT or similar, available from manufacturers like Intertechnik and Audyn). There will be a very slight improvement in sound, but they are also much more expensive and physically larger. Looks like you will be needing a couple of resistors as well!

-mika

• 11-13-2009 3:37 PM In reply to

• miouzeek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2009
    • FRANCE - LYON
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Hi, Whistle

Thank you for the infos.. i'm happy to be here.

I think i'm gonna buy brand new parts i'm going to search next week.

I got another problem, in the two crossovers i can't read the value of a resistance the same one at the same place ( don't know why Hmm)

So to replace them can you give me the value ? (see photos)

Thanks a lot.

• 11-14-2009 8:43 AM In reply to

Well I don't know what it is since the service manual doesn't have component placement pictures... But, the resistors are shown as

• 1 ohm x 2
    • 2.2 ohm
    • 3.3 ohm
    • 4.7 ohm x 3
    • 8.2 ohm

...so try to find out which one is missing. To keep things interesting, the actual crossovers often don't match the service manual!

-mika

• 11-14-2009 9:48 AM In reply to

• miouzeek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2009
    • FRANCE - LYON
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Hello,

Thank you tournedos, the resistance got no inscription at all so now it's easy to find the missing one.

Now i take my time to buy good new parts. (SCR for caps)

I' ll change the plug for banana compatible, new cables..Coffee

In parallele i search in the net an amp to drive the S75, can you tell me the ideal power needed ?

Some brands working well with this speakers ? Listen jazz, seventie's, eighty's,bossa......Paradise

I read i don't no where Harman Kardon be a good combo. I see an Harman/Kardon HK6500 for 100/120€.

Thanks. Cool

• 11-14-2009 11:03 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

I'd recommend you to take a good look at Solen's capacitors www.solen.ca

I used the PB-MKP-FC 400V Metallized Polypropylene units on a S55 restoration.

Very good quality, and very reasonable pricing.

Good luck

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 02-01-2010 9:50 PM In reply to

tournedos:

Well I don't know what it is since the service manual doesn't have component placement pictures... But, the resistors are shown as

• 1 ohm x 2
    • 2.2 ohm
    • 3.3 ohm
    • 4.7 ohm x 3
    • 8.2 ohm

...so try to find out which one is missing. To keep things interesting, the actual crossovers often don't match the service manual!

Thnx for this post. I think a lot of owners are in need of this kind of information, because a lot of crossovers burn out. Most if the time it's the 3.3 Ohm (3W) resistor (also in my case wich resulted that the tweeter didn't do anaything) and only cost 0.40 euro'sa piece. Thnx again!

I own a pair of S60's as well. Is there a way they make them sound more.. uuuhm.. active? They sound accurate, but rather dull and too silky for my taste. It's like the bass is staying in the box instead of throwing it into the listening room.

It kinda feels like I'm listening to the speakers themselves instead of the music. I hope I made it clear what I mean...

Beogram 4000, 4002, 8000, 8002. Sorry, got rid of all the rest.

• 02-02-2010 3:50 AM In reply to

Thanks for the thanks Smile

mormel:

I own a pair of S60's as well. Is there a way they make them sound more.. uuuhm.. active? They sound accurate, but rather dull and too silky for my taste. It's like the bass is staying in the box instead of throwing it into the listening room.

It kinda feels like I'm listening to the speakers themselves instead of the music. I hope I made it clear what I mean...

Don't know how much the bass can be improved, but these old speakers often get markedly better after just replacing the capacitors. No need even to go highend if you don't want to, just fresh bipolar electrolytics as the original ones are bound to be more or less tired. I believe that would mostly take care of the dullness.

-mika

• 02-02-2010 9:59 AM In reply to

Sounds logical indeed, I'll keep you guys updated :) . I have the idea that there can be so much more gained in the filter. But that takes time and experimenting... time is something I don't have in the near future...hehe.

Thnx again ;)

Beogram 4000, 4002, 8000, 8002. Sorry, got rid of all the rest.

• 03-04-2010 2:24 PM In reply to

• miouzeek
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-13-2009
    • FRANCE - LYON
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Hi everybody Smile

I come back with some news i change all the caps, resistors and all the inside cables.

Plus i place new plugs on the back...bye bye the DIN !!No - thumbs down

The naked one

Hum..today believe me they Sounds !

With this amp i'm Big Smile

Bye see ya...

• 03-07-2010 3:14 AM In reply to

• Claus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-05-2009
    • Copenhagen
    • Posts 41
    • Gold Member

tournedos:

No need even to go highend if you don't want to, just fresh bipolar electrolytics as the original ones are bound to be more or less tired. I believe that would mostly take care of the dullness.

In general (bipolar) electrolytic capacitors are not the best in the signal line - I think this goes for cross over networks as well.
    So some sort of audiophil capacitors should be considered - without going over-the-top of course (e.g. Duelund Capacitors...)

I've had good results with capacitors from Jantzen in others speaker brands (even their affordable "Cross Caps") and I'm currently renovation the network on my S45-2s. These caps cost app. EUR 6 each (15 uF) so it shouldn't ruin you. I'll make a small rapport when I've A/B-tested them.

This is how they look so far (a bit crowdy on that board...)

Miozeek - let's have a rapport on the difference after your "total renovation/upgrade"!

- Claus
    Beolab 5000 (x2), Beomaster 2400-2 & 5000, Beogram 2400/MMC20E, Beovox S30, S45 & S75, M75 - and growing...

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2