in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-17-2011 5:38 PM by tc0fh. 52 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (53 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-18-2009 3:46 PM

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

The upgrade of my avant 28" to 50" plasma integrated a mediabox and blu ray player.

Maybe a rare post but I like to share the upgrade of my avant 28" to a 50" plasma Whistle

Take out the tube and other electronics. Make "some" inside modifications. I used the existing audio amplifiers. For that adding a power unit. A Sony Blu Ray 350 player perfect fits in line with the earlier VHS envelope.  Above of that the mediabox, now located behind the textile frame. You have to cut out the plastic in line with the mediabox it's lcd and IR receiver. Since the textile is little transparent you see the LCD and lights of it behind.

I used the original Avant speakers and amplifiers but not the plastic cabinet. Adding panels and the original bass reflex tube inside the frame its self at the same location. Dont forget to activate the mute on the amplifiers with a 220 k resitor from a 9 volt location otherwise you will not get a signal.

If you need more details let me know. If possible I will provide. Summarised its quite a project in advance a lot of pleasure. 

Regards Hans  The Netherlands  

• 03-18-2009 3:54 PM In reply to

Re: upgrade of my avant 28" to 50" plasma with a mediabox and blu ray

BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT!

this has been a fantasy of mine for some time!!!

i was leaning toward a smaller panel: 32 to 37, but WOW!

please do share more! pics, text, anything!!!

oh, and welcome to beoworld!!!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-18-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Wow, that is impressive. Thanks for sharing it with us.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-18-2009 4:22 PM In reply to

Very clever! Most impressed.

• 03-18-2009 5:00 PM In reply to

Wow, that looks great.

I love the way the old Avant gets a new lease on life....

Well done !!!

• 03-18-2009 5:17 PM In reply to

• beoandy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Vienna
    • Posts 84
    • Gold Member

well done!

please share more pics!

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, Avant 28, BS 4500, BC 9500, etc....

• 03-18-2009 5:58 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I bet B&O are kicking themselves!Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-18-2009 6:08 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Wow! Wow! and thrice Wow!!
    I am totally awestruck!
    Well done!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-19-2009 4:30 PM In reply to

• cjocc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 39
    • Bronze Member

Hello,

Your skills make me envy you! I wish I ws acapable of doing similar thing myself. Maybe in another life.

This is whats make this Beoworld community such great fun. Contributions and professional tech tips etc. Keep them coming!

It's with a great fun I sends you my warm regards

cjocc

BC 2, MX7000, BeoPort, BLab 35000,BLab 3,BLab 8000,BeoC 6000, Beo4
  • 03-19-2009 5:40 PM In reply to

Very,very Nice..well doneSmile And so thats where B&O got the Idea for the 103" lol,should get some of the profits lol.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 03-28-2009 9:32 AM In reply to

• augs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-17-2007
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

Awesome! Could you plz share more pics and maybe a more detailed How-To !?

Thanks!

Es hört doch jeder nur, was er versteht. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
  • 03-28-2009 10:08 AM In reply to

augs:

Awesome! Could you plz share more pics and maybe a more detailed How-To !?

Thanks!

ABSOLUTELY!!! We want more! We want more! We want more!

Looks awesome.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 03-28-2009 6:39 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Laughing

It makes the plasma look ridiculously large!

Does it still motor-turn?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-29-2009 4:05 AM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Re: The upgrade of my avant 28" to 50" plasma integrated a mediabox and blu ray player.

Hans,  fantastic job.  Please let's have the technical details of your conversion.  Did you manage to incorporate masterlink control?  If not then I expect it would be quite easy to include a beolink active inside the case and then you would have full integration.  

Waiting with baited breath.

--Phil

• 03-29-2009 4:22 AM In reply to

Re: The upgrade of my avant 28" to 50" plasma integrated a mediabox and blu ray player.

Very nice! Do you now have 2 remotes for the tv?

• 03-29-2009 12:20 PM In reply to

Lol, in my eyes you have butchered the avant!!

However I truly appreciate your skill and creativity in coming up with this idea and implementing it Yes -  thumbs up

• 03-29-2009 12:41 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi Paj,

First, for me it was the esthetic look not an integration of a Beo masterlink. Be my guest if you have any idea to incorperate it.

I only add an 20+20- power unit for the original B&O amplifiers and speakers 

It is not a question of technical details but more a matter of measuring, cutting and adding on the fly.  

You have to start taking out al the components of the cabinet including the turntable. (This is the easiest part of the project)

1)  Protect the front surface of the cabinet and edges with a soft foam sheet. Keep it clean. 

2) Cut out from the 2 upright inside panels with a smal flat hand saw, the space needed to add the rear panelbox (47x19cm) for the BR and mediabox. Crucial is to have the BR player. The front side of the BR almost fits at the lower side of the existing VHS envelope but not exact. Than at that location you need to make the space wider (43 cm) and sand out (remember at the lower side) aprox on a 45 angel to 1,5 mm from the frontside of the cabinet. Just equeal to the shape of the lower front of the BR. I did that with a smal band sander. Before, you have to protect that aerea with a good quality mask tape (tamiya).

4) Add the fabricated box where you cut out the space with a smal flat saw, guided by a panel under 90 degrees. Remember check twice before you cut. Glue it together with a polyurethaan mounting kit. Be shure to remove the black paint on its location where to glue. If you like you can mill out the back for the rear protection grid. (see picture of the backside ) 

5) The textile panel needs to go up with 6 mm. For that you need to mill out 6 mm of the front of the cabinet at the upside location of the textile panel. In addition al the mounting holes of the textile panel in the cabinet. Keep it a fraction less deep as the original cut out for the panel.

For now enough to start.

Succes

rgds. Hans, Huh? The Netherlands

• 03-29-2009 1:31 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Brilliant - i love things like this! Big Smile

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 03-29-2009 5:29 PM In reply to

Now it's my turn to say WOW !!!

I'm impressed with your work !

well done !

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 03-29-2009 8:58 PM In reply to

Yes, a superb job. Yes -  thumbs up

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 03-30-2009 3:16 AM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Hi Hans, thanks for the details.  I can't wait to start my own conversion.   How do you control the volume/properties on the Avant's speakers?

I expect that if you were to integrate the sound from either the left and right channels of your materlink cable or the output of a beolink then you would almost certainly introduce lip-sync problems with the plasma (which you may or may not be able to live with).  It would be worth playing around with so as to keep the Avant as an integral part of the system (Nmusic, Nradio, etc....)

Great work.

--Phil

• 03-30-2009 2:32 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi Folks,

First of all many thanks for the friendly, nice and positive replies, I really  appreciate that Big Smile It keeps me motivated to support this topic.

Paj,

Currently the volume is controlled by the mediabox which is connected true the HDMI. The volume of the Pioneer I cannot control. The Blu Ray player has no volume control in it,  thats a problem. Doing so, it will only play true the HDMI with full trottle (what a shame from Sony) The BEO amplifiers are connected direct to the output of the Pioneer.

The volume of the pioneer only controls it's own speaker output. But that's no option since I'm using only the amplifiers of the Avant. If you need support how to manage that, just ask.

There is a mute on the BEO amplifiers so it should be possible to control the volume by remote of a receiver who wil give a 0-9 V signal. If anyone have any idea to integrate that kind of masterlink you are invited. The Beocentre is now stand alone

At his moment I am looking for the audio board lay out of the Pioneer to tap the signal control of the volume before it goes into the speakers amplifier as an alternative.  By the way I have not any lip sync.  problem !!

Best regards

Hans         

• 03-30-2009 2:49 PM In reply to

enkhome:

The volume of the pioneer only controls it s own speaker output. But thats no option since I'm using only the amplifiers of the Avant.

Does the Pioneer have a headphone output? You could probably use that!

-mika

• 03-30-2009 2:57 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Yes it has.... but not advised in my opinion. It will decrase the quality of the signal by a different impedance and distortion of its own amplifier.  

• 03-30-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You could always mount a BeoSystem 3 on the back. This would handle any impedance matching for you.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 3 (53 items) 1 2 3 Next >