in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-17-2011 5:38 PM by tc0fh. 52 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2009 4:29 PM In reply to

Re: The upgrade of my avant 28" to 50" plasma integrated a mediabox and blu ray player.

Alex:

You could always mount a BeoSystem 3 on the back. This would handle any impedance matching for you.

...and maybe much closer to my original fantasy of this project... as i have an 8490 us avant (basically a beosystem 1) my intention was to simply remove the crt when it dies and add on a panny plasma and "hook her up" so to speak, retaining the stand, ml, etc... panny makes a commercial series 32" panel (no speakers) that would simply replace the crt (in my simplistic, mad world). i could also bump up to a 37 or 42 w/ some overlap.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-30-2009 4:34 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: The upgrade of my avant 28" to 50" plasma integrated a mediabox and blu ray player.

I would want to integrate a BeoSystem 3, the difference in performance between the BeoSystem 1/2 and BeoSystem 3 is absolutely massive.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-30-2009 4:42 PM In reply to

Alex:

I would want to integrate a BeoSystem 3, the difference in performance between the BeoSystem 1/2 and BeoSystem 3 is absolutely massive.

oh, i don't doubt that... but as the 8490 is basically "ready to go" out of the box, i see it as: extract the crt, plug a 15pin from the projector out on the avant (bs1) and plug it right into the back of the new panny -viola!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-31-2009 4:56 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

enkhome:

The volume of the pioneer only controls it's own speaker output. But that's no option since I'm using only the amplifiers of the Avant. If you need support how to manage that, just ask.

There is a mute on the BEO amplifiers so it should be possible to control the volume by remote of a receiver who wil give a 0-9 V signal. If anyone have any idea to integrate that kind of masterlink you are invited. The Beocentre is now stand alone

At his moment I am looking for the audio board lay out of the Pioneer to tap the signal control of the volume before it goes into the speakers amplifier as an alternative.  By the way I have no any lip sync. !! 

This is a little bit too techy for me, but wouldn´t a Lintronic box help you?

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 03-31-2009 2:13 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi Daniel,

Good advice, thanks for that. I have send a email to them asking if it controls the mute on the amplifiers and the PIO and Sony.

Best regards

Hans

• 04-01-2009 2:06 PM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Hi, Hans keep the information coming.  Can you give more information on how you re-used the amplifier in the Avant.  Can you give details or photos of how you made the connections for the power supply and the audio input?  I think that there is a lot of potential mileage (kilometer-age) in what you have started, and many of us could extend the lives of our defunct but nevertheless much loved Avants.

Great thread..... keep it coming.

--Phil

• 04-01-2009 3:31 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi Paj,

This week end I will post the details you need. 

• 04-01-2009 4:27 PM In reply to

PAJ:

Hi, Hans keep the information coming.  Can you give more information on how you re-used the amplifier in the Avant.  Can you give details or photos of how you made the connections for the power supply and the audio input?  I think that there is a lot of potential mileage (kilometer-age) in what you have started, and many of us could extend the lives of our defunct but nevertheless much loved Avants.

Great thread..... keep it coming.

I agree, and I'm also very interested. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 04-01-2009 5:33 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Ditto
    I am missing my surround sound of my 32" while I am using the temporary Avant 28".

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-02-2009 1:30 AM In reply to

• hebo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 305
    • Founder

We are many following this interesting thread!

Thanks enkhome!

Looking forward to you comming postings.

BV10

• 04-02-2009 2:55 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi Daniel,

Lintronic answered as follows;

We do not offer a 0-9 volt input.

We would need to read an external device by RS232/RS485 to determine the voltage level.

But even if we did that the B&O systems volume does not allow absolute control (4.5 volt = 50% volume level).

• 04-04-2009 8:29 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hans,

welcome to this forum and congratulations!

Your work is simply stunning!

Keep going with information as there seem to be enough people that want to "convert" their baby ( = Avant) Smile

Wouldn't it be easier if you disconnect the original volume control of the B&O amplifier and use an external control that just drives the poweramplifier from B&O? Or you could use a complete new amplifier module and just drive the B&O speakers with a mathing crossover?!

Oh, and did I say that your work is amazing? Wink

• 04-04-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Can't you let the plasma panel control the picture and the Avant to control the sound (and masterlink). And all can be controlled by a Beo4 via the Lintronic?

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 04-04-2009 5:04 PM In reply to

Excellent work! It looks amazing Yes -  thumbs up

• 04-06-2009 1:06 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi

I used the existing amplifiers as is 4x15 watt (continue) so keeping the active crossover and feeding it with a additional powersupply. You can see it on a picture earlier provided.

rgds. hans

• 04-06-2009 1:09 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi, Daniel,

All of the avant, except the amplifiers and body is removed.

rgds Hans

• 04-06-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

burantek:

Alex:

oh, i don't doubt that... but as the 8490 is basically "ready to go" out of the box, i see it as: extract the crt, plug a 15pin from the projector out on the avant (bs1) and plug it right into the back of the new panny -viola!

This would work for the US models. The EU market models don't have the VGA/projector out.

• 04-06-2009 3:49 PM In reply to

enkhome:

Hi

I used the existing amplifiers as is 4x15 watt (continue) so keeping the active crossover and feeding it with a additional powersupply. You can see it on a picture earlier provided.

rgds. hans

As far as I can see in the manual is that pcb 10, the amplifier/cross filter board needs an active mute signal. That means only an active zero (Volt) is needed to mute the signal. Any resistor from the 20 Volt would do the job to activate the sound.

So, i.e. a mute signal from a powerlinksource could be used. (a bs3 with powerlink is suitable). With a little modification from active high to active low would be enough.

The volume control is done on PCB 14, the AV board (biggest board, in TDA7314, IC250) on the back of the chassis.

So any external controlled volume (probably line level?) does the job.  

But that would then somewhere inside the pio (if you're using its remote) before the amplifier-unit.

• 04-06-2009 4:31 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi Beobuddy,

Yeh youre right I have powered the mute from the amplifier itself. That works but no  controlled  volume. I am using the remote of the PIO but cannot control the volume of the out. This will only control the onboard amplifier of the PIO.

I will ask for the technical documentation of the PIO and find out to pickup the signal before it goes in main amplifier of the PIO.

• 04-06-2009 4:54 PM In reply to

That's an different issue you're entering. What about the warranty from Pioneer?

Maybe you will succeed, but what to others? It isn't a plug and play solution.

Ok, a stripped avant and some extra (selfmade) parts, but I also would try to keep the other equipment as original as possible.

A Lintronic device could control sound through a build-in receiver with 5.1 DTS/DD etc surround with pre-outs, and also control the channels, etcetera. All controlled by a Beo4/5.

• 04-07-2009 3:10 PM In reply to

• enkhome
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

For me it is more a esthetic issue.

By exchange the avant tube by a HDTV Panel all the other stuf has no function anymore, except the amplifiers. If you like to use the old chassis and hardware it make no sense to upgrade it with a HD panel.

Also the space obtained by removing the old chassis you need for the media (HD) box and BR.  Yes I agree it is no plug and play solution and not adviced to  people who are not skilful. Anyhow anyone who has a good advice to integrade this components please reply. 

• 04-07-2009 3:21 PM In reply to

Absolutely stunning - It's given me an idea to use the shell of a worn out beovision 9002 with the tambour door, this is truelly awesome.

I'd recommend a lintronic box so that you use a beo4 to control all the non b&o parts.

Congratulations, an amazing piece of work

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 04-08-2009 4:21 PM In reply to

enkhome:

all the other stuf has no function anymore, except the amplifiers. 

With other stuff I meant the BD player, Pio panel and the media box.

So, I would try to leave them as original as possible which makes it easier to swap one of them.

For instance, a newer BD player which functions faster or ..fill in yourself.

I completly understand why you dismantled the avant chassis.

• 03-17-2011 3:25 PM In reply to

• tc0fh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-10-2009
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

Hello!

Reviving an old thread...

I was thinking along this line: take a Beovision Avant or Beovision 3, get rid of the deflection coil and the rest of the high power stuff, replace the tube with a plasma or LCD, fit some glue logic inside and breathe new life to that old Beovision.

What do you think?

I'll give it a go.

• 03-17-2011 3:50 PM In reply to

And still using the chassis?

The chassis needs some control signals from the powersupply and coils to swiths on.

So you have to fool the chassis.

Or, place a system2 chassis internal? 

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >