in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-13-2007 3:36 PM by maneman. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-10-2007 2:15 PM

BT Vision and Avant

I have connected a BT Vision box to my Avant but the codes given in the BT Guide which allow the BT remote to control standby and volume on the TV are not recognised. BT can't help. Can anyone out there? Ideally, I would like my Beo4 to control the BT [Philips] box. Is this possible?

• 12-12-2007 5:17 AM In reply to

Re: BT Vision and Avant

Whilst I have never used a BT Vision Box, I would be very surprised that the BT (Philips)  remote would be able to control any functions of your Beovision because of the frequency used by B&O are unique to B&O.

To use the Beo4 to control your BT Vision STB could be achieved if the STB controller had your box been in its list, but it does not exist in the list, and I think it is unlikely that B&O would add it any time soon.

So, your best and cheapest solution would be to use a Lintronics box to convert Beo4 commands into BT Vision box IR commands.

Regards Keith....

• 12-12-2007 7:33 AM In reply to

Thanks Keith

I have looked at the Lintronics site and sent a query to them. The BT Guide includes Codes for numerous manufacturers [ 9 pages of them! ]. The codes for Bang & Olufsen are 047, 140 and 182 - each preceded by 0 [zero] which seems to be a common entry number. I have tried each in turn as recommended in the guide without success.

I'll let you know if I come across any further information.

• 12-12-2007 8:07 AM In reply to

I would assume these codes enable the BT remote to operate your B&O, not the other way around.
  • 12-12-2007 10:02 AM In reply to

Correct assumption, Zwets

I wondered if the BT codes have any significance or form part of a group of B&O codes. If so, are there any others which may apply - short of entering each sequentially [0-000 ~ 0-999]?

By extention, if some B&O products can be controlled by using the codes supplied by BT, where did BT get those codes from or are they using codes supplied by the digibox components manufacturer [ie Philips]. I have tried talking to Philips who, very quickly, referred me back to BT. However, the BT guide does give codes for a good number of manufacturers, so is it worth trying the codes for the main TV component supplier? Forgive my ignorance - I am at the outer edge of my understanding at this level.

• 12-12-2007 11:02 AM In reply to

I had a quick look at the philips web site related to this box and I think you will find that what they have done is provide all the codes for different manufacturers in terms of command codes which will work for 98% of remotes which use the same IR frequency range (38 to 56 Khz, but B&O uses a much higher frequency (455 Khz) which requires a different type of transmitting diode. In other words even if the BT Vision remote is transmitting the correct code, the Beovision will not receive it because it is receiving on a dfferent frequency.

Have a look at the Lintronic site HERE for more information

Regards Keith....

• 12-12-2007 4:25 PM In reply to

Keith - thanks for your perseverance. I think I now understand the problem.

I had a look at the Lin Tronics pages and am I right in thinking your solution is to use an infrared receiver TT IR 1455 connected to a signal converter box TT455-RT-238? Sorry to be pendantic but it looks like an expensive option ~ approx £100 + delivery and I want to know I've understood before I go down that route.

• 12-13-2007 6:30 AM In reply to

Yes, I am suggesting just that.

The Lintronics box is a very flexable device which has internal transmitting and receiving diodes as well as being able to plug in others at teh back of the unit.

Before you actually purchase the box, I suggest you download the "setup" software and have a look at it. It is fairly complex because it can provide almost all options you can think of. Most common remotes are already available, but you can create your own conversion tables for any remote meaning your Beo4 can control almost anything if you set you mind to it. Remember, once setup to your requirements, then you no longer need the setup software unless you want to change something.

You say it looks like an expensive option, but if BT Vision was available for the STB controller of the AVANT it would cost about £100 for the chip and fitting by the dealer, so given the box could also provide other functionality if you need it, I think it is quite good value.

Regards Keith....

• 12-13-2007 7:36 AM In reply to

I have Sky+ and the remote from that will control limited functions on a B&O TV - so they must have both types of transmitter in the remote? However I ended up going down the Lintronic route as my TV is an LX4500 and therefore  no STB - it's well worth the money and is more or less future proof, the other advantage is that you choose the key mapping so it's much easier to remember.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 12-13-2007 3:36 PM In reply to

Thanks for the additional information. I think this is getting beyond my abilities so I've decided to accept my limitations and stick with having to use two remotes. Thanks again for your time and effort.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)