in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-08-2009 5:52 AM by fish. 107 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (108 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2008 1:54 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Re: Multi-Room control now possible

Have you seen this link? and this

"Apple may be preparing to add iPhone (and iPod touch) functions to connect to and play media from nearby iTunes sources.  "

• 04-28-2008 2:10 PM In reply to

and i was just about to pull the trigger on "remote buddy."

think i'll wait and see what pans out of this...

thx!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 04-28-2008 2:31 PM In reply to

Whatever works! My first thought when I saw the iPhone was that this is going to become the world's best remote control, for everything. Remote Buddy has made music and movie playback a pleasure in my apartment, and if the capabilities are enhanced I'm all for it!

I think the AJAX remote protocol is going to become standard in the future, it's so intuitive and simple to use. Whether the software is from IOSpirit (Remote Buddy) or Apple doesn't really matter. And with hundreds/thousands of people developing SDK software for the iPhone/iPod Touch we can expect to see a lot of handy applications.

In another thread I have "suggested" that B&O should have someone working on the software required to control B&O hardware ... (hint - hint) That would bring in a lot of new customers, I think. 

And "pulling the trigger" on Remote Buddy is a USD 18 investment - you also gain control of all your other Mac applications, on your computer, as of today ... 

• 04-28-2008 2:48 PM In reply to

soundproof:

Whatever works! My first thought when I saw the iPhone was that this is going to become the world's best remote control, for everything. Remote Buddy has made music and movie playback a pleasure in my apartment, and if the capabilities are enhanced I'm all for it!

I think the AJAX remote protocol is going to become standard in the future, it's so intuitive and simple to use. Whether the software is from IOSpirit (Remote Buddy) or Apple doesn't really matter. And with hundreds/thousands of people developing SDK software for the iPhone/iPod Touch we can expect to see a lot of handy applications.

In another thread I have "suggested" that B&O should have someone working on the software required to control B&O hardware ... (hint - hint) That would bring in a lot of new customers, I think. 

And "pulling the trigger" on Remote Buddy is a USD 18 investment - you also gain control of all your other Mac applications, on your computer, as of today ... 

all true! i may still go for remote buddy, then again -i have an "electronic pile" of <$50 usd software that i no longer use.

though "remote buddy" sure looks like a winner!

btw, (1) piece from the pile was "salling clicker" -great stuff -but the touch/remote buddy combo looks to blow it out of the water!

and whatever comes from apple may be just that more brilliant... such as coverflow as was suggested earlier in this thread.
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 04-28-2008 3:12 PM In reply to

"such as coverflow as was suggested earlier in this thread."

We can only hope! 

• 04-29-2008 1:05 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Soundproof,

I was just thinking about what you mentioned - it would be incredibly good and prudent for B&O to do as you suggest and start putting together the B&O codes for these future offerings.

Along those same lines, I've pondered starting a thread on here appealing directly to B&O to please continue to embrace the Apple hardware / software in terms of compatibility.  In fact, while you and I were writing back and forth regarding the Apple TV and how to control it with the Beo 4, I started thinking how nice it would be to have an "Apple TV" button on the Beo 4.

Wishful thinking - I know - but one can dream. 

Mark 

Mark D
  • 04-29-2008 8:33 AM In reply to

Maybe on a Beo5!
  • 07-10-2008 1:17 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Re: Soundproof's Guide for using iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote!

REMOTE BUDDY IS DEAD... Here comes REMOTE!!!

That's just perfect, you can use it with a mac or an AppleTV, and with Airport Express stations to stream lossless music wirelessly...

http://gizmodo.com/5023755/first-itunes-remote-app-for-iphone-hands+on?autoplay=true

• 07-10-2008 1:23 PM In reply to

hi all,

look at my previous post (4 posts up) re: a "pile" of old unused software...

though i KNOW i should have waited...

i bought buddy less than a month ago. well, at least now i can do a "compar-o!"

btw, buddy is great and i am happy. it has, in fact, been used more in the last month than all the other similar software i have picked up over the years...
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 07-10-2008 1:51 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

If you were using remote buddy to control anything else than iTunes or Apple TV, you can still use it, because Remote only work for those gadgets!
  • 07-10-2008 5:14 PM In reply to

It's good that Apple are finally realizing the potential built into their devices. Though I find using the app-remote flexibility in Remote Buddy very attractive, and hope they add that to their remote.

What I'm looking forward to are the hardware control app's rumoured to be in the pipeline.

• 07-11-2008 2:02 AM In reply to

maybe an enterprising bno fan could write an app that mimics a beo 4 / 5

hint hint ;) 

popgear is grate™

• 07-11-2008 7:58 AM In reply to

I just got myself the new iPhone 3G, remote is different, it uses wifi to connect to your itune application and apptv.

sort of like a miniature version of remote desktop.

it will not work with any other electronic appliances.. 

• 07-11-2008 12:23 PM In reply to

Just got Remote working on my iPhone 3G.

Has all the functionality of Signal & Remote Buddy's iTunes interaction - very similar look and feel, faster navigation, and near instantaneous response from iTunes. Controls music, podcasts, movies, etc. Does not control peripherals. There's another appstore file called control, not from Apple, which promises hardware interaction, though they want you to book a session with their installers.

Waiting for other remote solutions to be launched.

Very happy with Apple's Remote for iPhone and Touch, and it's free.

• 07-11-2008 1:05 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

lol, you're lucky, Apple servers are in meltdown. I'm holding off until tomorrow before I install anything.

• 07-14-2008 10:18 AM In reply to

• jb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-17-2008
    • Surrey, UK
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Hi Soundproof

Great set of emails detailing how we can use an iphone & touch with our b&o gear - it must have taken you ages to write! I have a bit of a problem that you might be able to help with - please? - The A.Aux socket on the back of my 2300 is already in use - it goes to a beolink converter to patch it into the masterlink - is there a splitter available do you know - can I cut into the cable as you can masterlink? I have a bv3 CRT but that doesn't have any connections that I believe are appropriate? I would like to eventually get both audio from itunes and video from my mac onto the screen. I did think that audio would be relatively plain sailing but now because of the above I'm not so sure! I'm also not having much luck finding a DVI to Scart converter if there is such a thing that'll work as it should - I have found the Gefen one but there seems to be a lack of info on it...? Given the fact my TV and 2300 are in two different locations it will be problematic to run cables to each - can i use a spare audio coax on the TV to get the sound from the mac and still use it in the same way? - otherwise I may have to settle for just audio until I upgrade the TV, but I can't see that happening anytime soon!

Any help gratefully received. Thanks

JB 

• 07-14-2008 3:32 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

JB,

you can connect your mac to an AV-socket using a SCART-adapter. You will need a DVI - video-adapter for the mac. See apple store or Gefen.com. If the BV3 has a stb controler with apple codes you can control the mac with Beo 4, also from linkrooms.

Stefan 

• 07-16-2008 1:34 AM In reply to

After reading this article, I rushed to the shop and bought me an itouch (no need for phone as I am in love with my blackberry).

What a great piece of electronics! I have connected mine through apple's Remote software and it works flawless. Within 15 minutes (first updateing the software) I had it all working.

I'm a very big B&O fan and would not doubt to buy anything else than B&O for audio/video in my house, but this ipod touch with remote is a masterpiece. Finally I can choose what cd to listen to from one of the link rooms (through beoport) without trying to find one with the up-down and colour arrows.

This keeps just one question remaining: why has B&O not been able to give the beolink 5 these (simple) capabilities? Although I'm one of their biggest fans, I have to admit that this is just a lost chance for B&O.
    Looking forward to the BS5!

• 07-16-2008 2:42 AM In reply to

beoaddict:

This keeps just one question remaining: why has B&O not been able to give the beolink 5 these (simple) capabilities? Although I'm one of their biggest fans, I have to admit that this is just a lost chance for B&O.
    Looking forward to the BS5!

Congratulations. I'm very pleased with mine, as it is a definite improvement upon what Remote Buddy offered (faster, more stable, less battery use, more visual info).

As to your question, I guess it's worth remembering that Apple is a full-range hardware and software IT company with extensive experience in the application of digital technologies. B&O can't really compete, as it's an A/V manufacturer without the requisite in-house IT-talent. Apple Remote on the Touch may look simple, but it's actually an incredibly sophisticated operation going on in the background.

As you'll know, iTunes controls podcasts, movies, etc, and the Remote app does the same. I have put the streaming-links for various radio stations in a playlist folder, and get access to these  stations when I go to Playlists on the Touch, and choose a station. It is then streamed to where I want it. Likewise, you can have movie files in your Movies Folder on your computer, and Remote will control their playback.

• 07-16-2008 5:41 AM In reply to

• jb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-17-2008
    • Surrey, UK
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Hi Stefan

Thanks for your reply. I've looked at the apple store and have seen the adapter taking the DVI to composite, which I suppose I can plug into a scart plug with appropriate plugs. I'm not sure if this will allow both music & video to be distributed but I'll take the plunge and see!

Cheers

JB 

• 07-16-2008 8:18 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

There is no audio on the DVI out.
    You can use the headphone/line out of the mac. Connect it via a 3,5 mm plug - rca (red and white) cable. You will find 2 rca inputs on the SCART adapter.

Stefan

• 07-16-2008 8:35 AM In reply to

• jb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-17-2008
    • Surrey, UK
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Ah - good point. I had read all about the DVI interface last week but had conveniently forgotten about it!! Thanks for pointing that out. I now remember earlier in the thread about using the headphone plug on the mac with a simple lead or to take it further/better with using another piece of kit in the line - I'll try the headphone first...

Thanks again

JB 

• 07-16-2008 12:26 PM In reply to

Meanwhile I am waiting for my iPhone 3G I bought a iPod Touch 8GB for using as remotecontrol

I have Beomedia 1 and can now pilot my music with iPod, same as you who have Beoport

I just installed iTunes in "Service Menu" and add all my musicfiles.

So now I have just to press A-PC to open "soundport" on my BV9, or in any Linkroom Party!!!

• 07-16-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

Congratulations! Why don't you write up the details of how you did it - it might be useful both for members and dealers who wish to prepare something similar both for existing BeoPort/BeoMedia and for the "who knows when it arrives" BeoSound 5? I'd imagine you can control playback in the same manner, using a Touch or iPhone?

• 07-16-2008 12:42 PM In reply to

exc guide , soundproof , well done

then again you ARE a mac guru

so nuff said :) 

popgear is grate™

Page 4 of 5 (108 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >