in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-08-2009 5:52 AM by fish. 107 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (108 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-28-2007 12:41 PM In reply to

Re: Soundproof's Guide for using iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote!

I use a Beoport and BM-Link to switch the system over to N.Music. I then use my iTouch to select the music. The beoport is possibly unnecessary but my Mac is not next to my audio master so it is just as easy this way.
  • 12-30-2007 10:33 PM In reply to

Am I understanding this thread correctly?

1. I did not see a mention of using iTouch with a PC so I assume that is not possible?

2. iTouch will not control Beoport/Beoplayer software so iTunes is required?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 12-31-2007 1:51 AM In reply to

Both assumptions are correct.
  • 01-06-2008 6:17 AM In reply to

Can anyone who is using remote buddy on their iPod Touch confirm that the backlight never dims (unlike when using the Touch for other purposes)?  It doesn't on mine, and I find this the only irritation when using this hardware/software.
  • 01-06-2008 6:27 AM In reply to

That's correct. But I just press the deactivate button on the top left of the Touch when I'm through giving a command. The Touch boots on again very quickly when you reactivate it, and it opens to where you were -- for instance the Now Playing window. Just wait a few seconds until the WiFi logo shows, and you're online again.

You can also set the screen intensity in the Touch Settings, if you like to have the screen on. I just turn it off when I'm through with a command - gives me full day use with one battery charge. 

• 01-06-2008 6:30 AM In reply to

Are you displaying the track playing? If so, the 2 way communication seem to be on all the time as it counts the track time. I just turn the iPod off using the sleep button.
  • 01-06-2008 6:31 AM In reply to

Snap! Laughing
  • 01-06-2008 10:03 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

(*Disclaimer:  I am an "Apple Fan Boy" who feels B&O is choosing poorly by overly aligning themselves with Microsoft.  I also feel that B&O should leave the software to Apple and concentrate on giving us great hardware rather than working on "in house" software that has the potential to prove non-compatible with the most popular digital media platforms in the future.)

Here's an article that, for a variety of reasons, I've been meaning to post a link to in this forum.  I may do say again under a new thread as I think it important to realize the direction that Apple has the potential to take the multi-media world.  As it pertains to this discussion, though, the second billet or point of this article addresses the future of the iPhone / iTouch as a remote control for an AV system:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/29/ten-big-predictions-for-apple-in-2008/

Mark D 

Mark D
  • 01-06-2008 11:46 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: Soundproof's Guide for using iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote! (For Peter!)

Soundproof - this all sounds great and very interesting. One quick question: I have a Playstation 3 connected to my new BV7-40 MKIII, currently using the Sony bluetooth remote control. Does the use of Buddy + an iPod Touch enable me to ditch the Sony bluetooth remote and control the Playstation 3 directly from the iPod Touch?

Then use the iPod Touch to control my Airport Express connected to my BeoSound 4? ie. one control.

• 01-06-2008 12:44 PM In reply to

Peter:
    Both assumptions are correct.

Peter - Does your BeoPort, iTunes, iTouch combo allow you to turn on/off N.Music via the iTunes or do you still have to use your beo4/5 for that?

Christian

• 01-06-2008 1:05 PM In reply to

At present I control volume and source using a beo4/1000 but can stop and start the music using the iPod. And obviously change the track, album etc. Waiting for IR Trans next! I am afraid this system for me makes the Beo5 redundant. It finally means I can access exactly the music I want in any room in the house and not need a hardwired screen. I can store my music at whatever quality I want and storage is very cheap. I like the fact that the speakers are hardwired though. I cannot emphasise just how good the system is.
  • 01-20-2008 5:04 PM In reply to

• nlb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 60
    • Bronze Member

Peter, can you use cover flow on your iTouch remote to select the album you would like to listen to on your B&O system? nlb.
  • 01-20-2008 5:21 PM In reply to

nlb:
    Peter, can you use cover flow on your iTouch remote to select the album you would like to listen to on your B&O system? nlb.

No - coverflow is not available on the Touch surface when using Remote Buddy. You can access coverflow when playing the music stored on the iPod Touch itself. Remote Buddy accesses all the music you have on your central Mac and/or harddisk attached to it, which means the covers are there - not on your Touch. It could be that coverflow will be made available for Remote Buddy in the future, shouldn't take that much to make it happen (you'd have to store all your Cover Art in the iPod Touch - but I'm sure they've left it out in order to not slow down response times now since the covers would have to be transferred to the Touch.)

I use the Now Playing window, where you get the cover of the song you're playing sent to your Touch.

You can use the Remote Buddy Application control function on the Touch to control coverflow selections on your computer screen or television screen attached to a Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DfqP6ScU_g

• 01-20-2008 7:08 PM In reply to

• nlb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 60
    • Bronze Member

Soundproof, thats a shame, can't be too difficult to get cover flow working in RB especially as the image file are fairly small for cover flow (download time). thanks for the youtube clip, looks great! nlb.
  • 01-21-2008 7:56 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Soundproof!!

Thanx for an absolutely fantastic posting! I have lately been trying to control my AppleTV via the Beo4 (without much luck), but I see now that there maybe other, much more exciting possibilities. I was about to buy a Beo5 but I guess those days have passed. I have a few questions (and probably will have many more in the future ;-)

1) Will it be possible to control an AppleTV this way? Apple just launched some really exciting new features - for example the possibility to purchase music / video directly from the AppleTV interface. But maybe this can already be done with the iPhone? BTW - do you see any advantage with the AppleTV (more futureproof solution?) than the MacMini?

2) Can several iPhones be used to control the system. A telephone is a much more personal item than a remote control. Everyone would like to use ther own "remote".

3) The AppleTV definitely needs some more harddisk space and I guess one way of solving this is to buy a Mac Mini and sync/stream from that. But again maybe this is not necessary - maybe the new AppleTV interface will show up on the Mac-Mini as well. 

4)  Finally - could you explain the optimal video-connection again. As I understand when listening to music Mac Mini > AE > DAC > BeoSound9000 > Beolab5 is the way to go (maybe parallelled with Mac Mini > AppleTV > Beovision 7 > Beolab5), but what about video ?? Mac Mini > DVI-HDMI > Beovision 7  ....  but  ... how do you get the audio (digital output from the MacMini? ... and how do you switch between listening to music (via BeoSound) and looking att video (via Beovision)? What I mean is - how to you tell the system to send the audio to the TV instead of the BeoSound? What are the optimal connections here? Sorry for being so slow.

Thanx again and hoping for some advice  

/Munin 

• 01-21-2008 9:49 AM In reply to

My answers are in CAPS - makes it look as if I am shouting!

Munin:

1) Will it be possible to control an AppleTV this way? Apple just launched some really exciting new features - for example the possibility to purchase music / video directly from the AppleTV interface. But maybe this can already be done with the iPhone? BTW - do you see any advantage with the AppleTV (more futureproof solution?) than the MacMini?

WHILE A MAC FANATIC, I'M NOT THAT IMPRESSED WITH APPLE-TV. I FIND THE MAC MINI (OR ANOTHER STAND-ALONE MAC) SUPERIOR, WITH A BUILT-IN OPTICAL DRIVE, BETTER OPTIONS FOR FILE MANAGEMENT, ETC. APPLE-TV IS APPLE'S SOLUTION FOR SELLING CONTENT TO USERS.

HOWEVER - THE LATEST NEWS FROM MACWORLD MAKES IT CLEAR THAT APPLE-TV WILL NOW BE A CONDUIT FOR HIGH-DEFINITION (720P) CONTENT - MOVIES - AND THAT MAKES IT INTERESTING. THOUGH I'M IMPRESSED BY HOW WELL MY MAC MINI UPSCALES SD DVDs TO MY 720P SCREEN. 

2) Can several iPhones be used to control the system. A telephone is a much more personal item than a remote control. Everyone would like to use ther own "remote".

YOU CAN HAVE MULTIPLE USERS ACCESSING YOUR STORAGE DRIVES, BUT YOU MAY RUN INTO CONFLICTS IF THEY ARE TRYING TO USE THE SAME APPLICATIONS. BUT I HAVE RUN MUSIC AND SEVERAL FILMS AT THE SAME TIME FROM MY STAND ALONE SERVER, TO VARIOUS SCREENS AND STEREOS AROUND THE APARTMENT. IT WOULD PROBABLY HELP IF EACH IPHONE OR TOUCH IS ASSIGNED TO A SEPARATE PERSONAL MAC, AND THAT EACH OF THESE THEN HAVE ACCESS TO THE STORAGE DRIVES (AND ARE SHARING FILES, AS WELL). 

3) The AppleTV definitely needs some more harddisk space and I guess one way of solving this is to buy a Mac Mini and sync/stream from that. But again maybe this is not necessary - maybe the new AppleTV interface will show up on the Mac-Mini as well. 

NOT SURE. HAVEN'T REALLY LOOKED INTO APPLE-TV MUCH, AS I PREFER HAVING A FULLY CAPABLE COMPUTER, ABLE TO RUN A VARIETY OF SOFTWARE. I CONSIDER APPLE-TV TO BE AN STB FOR APPLE. 

4)  Finally - could you explain the optimal video-connection again. As I understand when listening to music Mac Mini > AE > DAC > BeoSound9000 > Beolab5 is the way to go (maybe parallelled with Mac Mini > AppleTV > Beovision 7 > Beolab5), but what about video ?? Mac Mini > DVI-HDMI > Beovision 7  ....  but  ... how do you get the audio (digital output from the MacMini? ... and how do you switch between listening to music (via BeoSound) and looking att video (via Beovision)? What I mean is - how to you tell the system to send the audio to the TV instead of the BeoSound? What are the optimal connections here? Sorry for being so slow.

FOR MUSIC, I WOULD RECOMMEND CONVERTING THE DIGITAL TOSLINK OPTICAL FROM THE MINI TO COAX DIGITAL, AND SENDING THAT DIRECTLY TO THE BEOLAB 5S. THOUGH HAPPY WITH MY ANALOG CONNECTION MINI>RECEIVER>TO THE BL5S, I STILL JUMP IN MY SEAT WHEN I GO PURE DIGITAL.

VIDEO: DVI-TO-HDMI CONVERTER CABLE FOR THE VIDEO; AUDIO VIA TOSLINK OPTICAL TO A RECEIVER THAT HANDLES THE SIGNAL APPROPRIATELY. I HAVE FULL DTS, DD 5.1, ETC FROM MY MINI. WHEN LISTENING TO MULTI-CHANNEL I HAVE ANALOG TO ALL SPEAKERS; WHEN LISTENING TO TWO-CHANNEL I USE DIGITAL COAX FROM THE RECEIVER TO THE BL5S.

I'M PRESENTLY VERY HAPPY WITH MY CAMBRIDGE AZUR 540R VERSION 3 RECEIVER, WHICH GIVES ME LOTS OF OPTIONS FOR CONNECTING A VARIETY OF AUDIO SOURCES BOTH INCOMING AND OUTGOING.

Thanx again and hoping for some advice  

/Munin 

• 01-21-2008 6:05 PM In reply to

• nlb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 60
    • Bronze Member

I would also love to use the iTouch to control my B&O DTV, by selecting tv station logos (as on the outdated Beo5) and also via a 7 day EPGs from the web ... must all be possible somehow ... nlb.
  • 01-22-2008 2:12 AM In reply to

Hi Peter and others using Beoport and BM-link: is it working in Leopard (10.5)? Planning to buy one but hesitate because uncertainty in getting it work right.
  • 01-22-2008 3:36 AM In reply to

Ok-downloaded it. Works well - except that I can't adjust the volume of iTunes by AJAX/iTouch? Is there a way?

I can, however, control where the music is playing, which is fantastic!

• 01-22-2008 3:47 AM In reply to

The other drawback-when selecting a speaker it switches off al the other ones! So it seems one can't select multiple speakers?
  • 01-22-2008 4:20 AM In reply to

Multiple speakers you select from your Mac - I have only been able to control one AE at a time through the Touch.

Volume you can control from the Now Playing window. Just tap the screen once, and the track position and level bars appear.

• 01-22-2008 4:26 AM In reply to

Hi,

At the moment I can't adjust the volume (the control bar is stucked at 100%). I have enabled the control of AE volume in system preferences. But since it is basically possible, I seem to have some preference incorrectly set.  

• 01-22-2008 4:32 AM In reply to

These are my settings in iTunes>Preferences>Advanced -- gives me control of volume through the Touch (and when you look at the choices, you wonder why!)

• 01-22-2008 4:47 AM In reply to

Got it:

"second bottom row:

Control iTunes® volume by tapping where you want the slider to be. Again, dragging is not available due to limitations of Mobile Safari™, which does only support clicks. "

I tried to slide, as usual with iTouch.

Thanks. 

• 04-27-2008 8:47 PM In reply to

Multi-Room control now possible

The most recent update of Remote Buddy has added a modification to how you channel the audio. Previously, you could only pick one of the available wireless units connected (Airport Express, computers, etc. that were connected to speakers or music centres.)

Now you can choose between Single and Multiple devices, which means you no longer have to set this at the computer you have installed Remote Buddy in. Very nice. I have been terrorizing the neighbours while testing it out.

You can also control which audio source playback mode you're using from your computer. Built-In Output, Digital Output, etc. (It will now detect sound cards and list these as options.)

Page 3 of 5 (108 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >