in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-17-2007 8:55 PM by Beolab. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2007 3:50 PM

Beolab 1

Hello you all!

I walked by my bang store on saturday and saw that they had a pair of used BL1 on sale for a customer, the price was NOK 35.000,-/£ 3250. I bought them and got a trade in for my BL 6000, so the final price was NOK 18.000,- I now use BL 8000 as rear and BL 1 as front.

The change in sound quality from the 8000 to 1 is incredible!! Much more detailed, much more power, vocals are "in your face" Stick out tongue Love them! And I have BL 2, so there is no bass shortage Big Smile

See hear feel B&O.

• 10-15-2007 4:27 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolab 1

Nice to hear that you love you BL1's! I am also a proud owner of the BL1+2 and love them as well!

Enjoy1

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 10-15-2007 4:47 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Excellent setup! Don't you think the BL8000 are a bit overkill as rears? I can understand that you did not want to seperate from them ( I would never give away mine too), but as rears, they are a little "lost".

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-15-2007 6:04 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

BeoLab 1 with BeoLab 2 is a thunderous combination!!

As surrounds yes, i think maybe the 8000's are wasted - but on 'Speaker 4' they will be a real bonus! - Think of the parties!!

Big Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-15-2007 7:20 PM In reply to

I think the Beolab 8000s as rears make perfect sense. We recently replaced the 1s we had in front with 9s. The 1s were moved to the rear to replace the 6000s we had there before. The improvement when listening to movies was incredible. It sounds silly and like overkill but listening to it quickly proves otherwise.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-16-2007 10:55 AM In reply to

Bieele:

Nice to hear that you love you BL1's! I am also a proud owner of the BL1+2 and love them as well!

Enjoy1

+1

I love mine, and would never sell them ! Yes -  thumbs up

Quoi de mieux qu'un BeoLab 2 ? 2 BeoLab 2 !

• 10-16-2007 2:42 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

I have the BL1 and BL2 in the front and BL1 in the rear. With an Avant and speaker setting 4 the home theater experience is perfect. 
  • 10-16-2007 4:01 PM In reply to

Dear all BeoLab 1 owners,

How do you fit BeoLab 1s into your music room without them being dominant figures in the room? Just seeing them at the dealer I feel they are enormous!

Still love them though Stick out tongue

• 10-16-2007 5:43 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Henry:

Dear all BeoLab 1 owners,

How do you fit BeoLab 1s into your music room without them being dominant figures in the room? Just seeing them at the dealer I feel they are enormous!

Still love them though Stick out tongue

they are not that enormous as you think! I have seen them at a friend's, and they really integrate very well into the room (at least in silver) because they adopt the colour of the environment. IMO, they are much less imposant than BL5, which really attract the looks.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-17-2007 3:15 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

The four BL1 in the main room are all black. Their footprint is not that overwhelming and depending on how you fit them in the room (close to other high furniture / corner location) etc, they fit in very well. 

Even the pair of BL1 in the bedroom (silver) fit in nicely. I just think either you love them or ... 

• 10-17-2007 5:15 PM In reply to

Proud owner of silver BL-1's with black frets to the sides of a black BV-4, I really love them.  BL4000's are next for the rears.  Last piece will likely be a subwoofer, researching which one I want, not too keen on the BL 2. I don't want a "boomy or muddy" sub. Music is most important consideration for a sub, if it works great with music it is more than adequate for movies IMHO.

Gabriel, enjoy them and please post some pictures!  

pf85, please post pictures! Your setups sounds like it would be perfect eye candy for the beo addicts here.

Roger

• 10-17-2007 6:40 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

R Patton:

Proud owner of silver BL-1's with black frets to the sides of a black BV-4, I really love them.  BL4000's are next for the rears.  Last piece will likely be a subwoofer, researching which one I want, not too keen on the BL 2. I don't want a "boomy or muddy" sub. Music is most important consideration for a sub, if it works great with music it is more than adequate for movies IMHO.

pf85, please post pictures! Your setups sounds like it would be perfect eye candy for the beo addicts here.

Roger

Go for the B&W PV1 in aluminum (ICE Power) sub then! It´s reptile fast and have much more detail than the slow BL2... You can order PV1 in  Black or Silver...

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-17-2007 7:34 PM In reply to

Thanks Beolab,

I keep trying to find someplace that has the PV 1 locally but have not had much luck.  To me that sub looks more like a B&O design anyway. I like the velodyne DD series, but it's just a typical box design even though custom colors are available.

Now the quest to find one in the flesh!Cool

Roger 

• 10-18-2007 5:54 PM In reply to

Beolab:
    R Patton:

Roger

Go for the B&W PV1 in aluminum (ICE Power) sub then! It´s reptile fast and have much more detail than the slow BL2... You can order PV1 in  Black or Silver...

Regards

Slow BL2??

I`ve read several reviews on BL2, and slow is not one of the words they have used to describe it! Fast and perfect is what they say, never read any negative words about this sub.

See hear feel B&O.

• 10-18-2007 6:17 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

gabriel:
    Beolab:
    R Patton:

Roger

Regards

Slow BL2??

I`Ive read several reviews on BL2, and slow is not one of the words they have used to describe it! Fast and perfect is what they say, never read any negative words about this sub.

This is true, you can ask everyone on this forum who owns a BL2 and  they are going to say the same thing.. (Just HiFi owners who got a HiFi hearing will say this)

It is to "boomy" at normal to higher volumes, and not so fast, defined and detailed in the low end... kind of muddy would be the right word..

I have listened to the BL2 too many times and the Beolab 1, 9 and 8000 are to fast for the BL2 to integrate with these speakers.. It becomes out of phase because it to slow in the turns sadley... Thats why the B&W PV1 fits better because it  got a faster and more solid sound... More like the BL 1, BL 9 and BL 8000:s characteristics..

This is the truth no joke..

Take a listening by your self, and make up your own mind...

Regards. 

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-19-2007 3:21 AM In reply to

gabriel:

Slow BL2??

I`ve read several reviews on BL2, and slow is not one of the words they have used to describe it! Fast and perfect is what they say, never read any negative words about this sub.

Agree 100% with you Gabriel. 

I don't think BL2 is "slow", "boomy or muddy" at all, probably people have problems finding a correct BL2 standing and settings, or even serious problems with the listening room acoustic quality itself, due to shape, size, or materials, including the furniture arrangement, etc...

I'm very happy with my BL1s+BL2 combo performance playing films and listening music for 5 years now, this combination match perfectly well together and never becomes out of phase.

Santiago

• 10-19-2007 6:30 AM In reply to

I've never heard the BL1'a....they are beautiful....but i'm not too partial to the BL2 either...it didn't seem to keep up with the pentas for intense theatre...we used a Velodyne DD15 and it is fabulous.
  • 10-21-2007 10:35 AM In reply to

Beolab:
    gabriel:
    Beolab:
    R Patton:

Roger

Regards

Slow BL2??

I`Ive read several reviews on BL2, and slow is not one of the words they have used to describe it! Fast and perfect is what they say, never read any negative words about this sub.

This is true, you can ask everyone on this forum who owns a BL2 and  they are going to say the same thing.. (Just HiFi owners who got a HiFi hearing will say this)

It is to "boomy" at normal to higher volumes, and not so fast, defined and detailed in the low end... kind of muddy would be the right word..

I have listened to the BL2 too many times and the Beolab 1, 9 and 8000 are to fast for the BL2 to integrate with these speakers.. It becomes out of phase because it to slow in the turns sadley... Thats why the B&W PV1 fits better because it  got a faster and more solid sound... More like the BL 1, BL 9 and BL 8000:s characteristics..

This is the truth no joke..

Take a listening by your self, and make up your own mind...

Regards. 

The reviews I`ve read are from serious hifi(nerd)magazines, so what I`m saying is not based on beolovers in this forum. Lyd & Bilde (sound & picture), a norwegian hifi magazine listed BL 1, BL 2, BL 6000 with BC  2 and BV 4 under High End surround systems. And they said that the best singulare product in this system was the BL 2, and with BL 1 were perfect in both music and cinema listening! bang

See hear feel B&O.

• 10-21-2007 12:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It's a shame, but the BeoLab 2 is slow in comparison to other subwoofers out there, it's all to do with the tuning of the passive radiators on either side. The PV1 is much faster and snappier, although I don't think it goes anywhere near as deep or loud as the BeoLab 2.

The BL2 is fantastic for movies and home theatre, but for music, it just can't keep up. The BeoLab 9s do a much better job when it comes to fast, detailed basslines IMO.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-21-2007 12:15 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Maybe the BL2 are good, but the PV1 are even better i can say... More response and a tighter more detailed sound and much faster accuracy than the BL2...

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-21-2007 1:17 PM In reply to

The reviews I`ve read are from serious hifi(nerd)magazines... ...Lyd & Bilde (sound & picture), a norwegian hifi magazine listed BL 1, BL 2... ...And they said that the best singulare product in this system was the BL 2, and with BL 1 were perfect in both music and cinema listening!

It seems that "Lyd & Bilde" people think exactly the same as me Yes -  thumbs up

Santiago

• 10-22-2007 2:28 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Santiago:

The reviews I`ve read are from serious hifi(nerd)magazines... ...Lyd & Bilde (sound & picture), a norwegian hifi magazine listed BL 1, BL 2... ...And they said that the best singulare product in this system was the BL 2, and with BL 1 were perfect in both music and cinema listening!

It seems that "Lyd & Bilde" people think exactly the same as me Yes -  thumbs up

Yes, but Lyd & Bild haven´t heard Beolab 1 combined with PV1 either...

I have been into serious HiFi for many years and built some loudspeakers made of  granite (stone) by my self....

1. The Beolab 2 have one active radiator/woofer and two passive radiators. The single active radiator need to pressure/push/control the passive radiators in every stroke. The result is that the passive radiators doesn't keep up with the high tempo in the rhythm of music for example..= Slower and more muddy.. This is good if you looking on a movie where the bass is not continuous synced with rapid rhythm all the time, just some big warm bass breakouts or like  .. 

And the elements/radiators are made of the material called Polypropylene and are not so very stiff or light.. A cheaper material vs Aluminum that are used in the B&W PV1 for example...

So if you are a movie fan who likes big explosions you can buy the BL2.

If you like music and design more go for the B&W PV1

And finally if you like both of the above characteristics but not so into design go for the Velodyn DD series with Servo Bass technique or Sunfire by Bob Carver.

Regards Fredrik L.

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-22-2007 4:37 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Passive radiators are actually a very neat solution to extending a speaker's bass reproduction. They work very well on the BeoLab 3s for example, which have fantastically snappy and detailed bass, and the same goes for the RedLines which utilised one, they can work very well in practise. However, when they're tuned too low, and the combined weight of both radiators is greater than the moving mass of the active cone (the one on the front of the BeoLab 2), they start to go out of control as they aren't as agile as the active cone. The passive radiators will always be heavier than the active cone, but if the difference is too massive (as is the case of the BeoLab 2), the result can be vague sounding bass. The good thing that comes out of this though, is that due to the lower tuning of the passive radiators (because of their weight and the way they've been designed), they massively extend the bass of the BeoLab 2, way lower than any other subwoofer of the same size, and also have greater excursion (travel in and out) for a small amount of movement on the active cone and therefore can really produce some serious volume levels!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-13-2007 4:40 PM In reply to

R Patton:

Roger

Better late than never, here are some pictures Smile

Hm... the aspect ratio got a little wrong, sorry Erm

Bl 8000

See hear feel B&O.

• 12-13-2007 4:40 PM In reply to

R Patton:

Roger

Better late than never, here are some pictures Smile

Bl 8000

See hear feel B&O.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >