in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-01-2007 8:08 PM by jvezina. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-27-2007 8:23 AM

mx5000 north american picture tube question

Smile

I had set up a Magnepan (magnet from top to bottom, didn't know!) speaker beside (10") my tv for about a month.  I noticed a vertical fade mark on the screen.  It does not matter whether I'm watching tv, vcr, dvd...even a blank raster (set for dvd, but haven't turned on the dvd yet) it is always there now.  Speaker has been moved now for a couple of weeks.

Have I done irreversible damage?  I, of course, want to keep the tv going for as long as possible.  It is linked with other components.

My guess would be that it needs deguassing.  I have tried the on for 1 min, off for 15 mins cycle to no avail. 

If need be, can this picture tube be swapped with a new one, even from another brand?

Help! Unsure

Thanks!

Guy

• 09-27-2007 11:14 AM In reply to

Re: mx5000 north american picture tube question

The MX5000 has no degauss function leke the newer MX models.

But it can be repaired, you need a degauss tool from your tv shop, usually it is possible to lend this tool for small money.

• 09-27-2007 5:37 PM In reply to

Smile
  • 09-27-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

Smile

Thanks!  I guess that makes sense why it was helping to cycle the tv on and off!  Now to find someone around here that will do it for me.  Most local repair shops are pretty limited in what they do (I think I've heard of them refered to as "board switchers", a perfect description!).

Guy

• 09-30-2007 6:21 AM In reply to

Well....a small correction here: every colour tv has a built in degaussing (otherwise in a few weeks the picture would look like one piece of colourfull art / mess) and what you did (with the on/off) is actually correct.
    What's not clear is what is the 'fade' you describe ?
    A tube influenced by mangetism gives coloured spots, usually at the outher sides of the screen.
    if you take out (turn down) the colour of your tv and the pic is pure black/white and has no coloured spots/fades magnetism isn't the problem.
    If the 'fade' means it's not sharp it could be there's dirt behind the glass screen (is the most common cause of this and many tv's are kicked out because of this although the fix is simple: just clean....).
    Another reason could be focussing (but this shouldn't 'drift' by itself.

So try this (turning down colour) and fill us in on what the 'fade' looks like....:)
  • 09-30-2007 9:04 AM In reply to

Smile

Well, the fade/mask thing is not colourfull at all.  When I have the tv set to receive a dvd (S-video), but have not yet turned on the video, it is clearly seen on the left side of the screen.. It runs vertically and is very linear, perhaps 1.5" wide.  It is always there no matter whether I'm using TV, VCR, DVD.

When it is receiving pictures, you can still see all the information through the fade/mask...and you can hardly notice a defect.  I've had some of the caps replaced in the tv about a year ago, I don't know which.

Smile

Well, the fade/mask thing is not colourfull at all.  When I have the tv set to receive a dvd (S-video), but have not yet turned on the video, it is clearly seen on the left side of the screen.. It runs vertically and is very linear, perhaps 1.5" wide.  It is always there no matter whether I'm using TV, VCR, DVD.

When it is receiving pictures, you can still see all the information through the fade/mask...and you can hardly notice a defect.  I've had some of the caps replaced in the tv about a year ago, I don't know which.

Smile

• 09-30-2007 10:02 AM In reply to

So i'm correct if it's a 'bar' kind of thing running from top to bottom of the screen...
    Well, it's no magnetism problem and no tube problem also.
    What doe sit do on normal tv reception ??
    It sounds like a 'hum' caused by the (type of) video cable you use.
    Try another source (tv or the dvd with a good scart cable or so) to see if that maks a change.

• 10-01-2007 8:08 PM In reply to

Could you take a picture of the screen and post it here? It is somewhat intriguing.

Regards,

Jean

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)