in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-25-2007 12:58 PM by Calvin. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2007 2:44 PM

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Power Supply Broken

Well I got back from my business trip to China, to discover that despite wrapping it up well, a bottle of local whiskey I'd bought had brokenmid flight and spiltthrough my bag. Included in the list of wet items was my Macbook.

Since then, I've left it to dry for a week and after powering up, it works fine; then I realised that it was on battery and that they light on the power adapter wasn't coming on. Anyway, I went along to a local computer service place near work where they (honestly) said they could fix it and return within 90 days at great cost. I was therefore wondering:

Is the fault likely to be a fuse, in which case case is it something I could fix myself if I opened it up?

How long/much is it likely to be if I take an hour off work to go further afield and get the Apple store to look at it? 

• 09-17-2007 6:41 PM In reply to

Re: Power Supply Broken

I would think it might just be the power supply / brick, which you could order at reasonable cost from the apple store or amazon (I got mine there recently after the cable ripped into pieces).

If you can, maybe just order a new brick, try it out, return if it doesnt work. Or stop by your local apple store if you have one. Maybe you have a voltmeter to determine if it is the brick or the notebook.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 09-17-2007 6:49 PM In reply to

Sorry to hear this. I´m afraid I´m not of any particular help in this case but try looking at the ifixit guide for the macbook:

http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/MacBook-13-Inch/86

They got parts and guides for nearly every portable mac and you can at least estimate if your able to open the case and do further fixing. I have to say, i would be afraid of doing further damage to this delicate "creature".
    Why don´t you give the apple store a phone call before going there or -even better- try finding a real dealer who is an "apple-certified-service-engineer", instead of going to one of this posh, high street apple stores?

Regards, beoberlin
  • 09-17-2007 6:51 PM In reply to

jk1002:

I would think it might just be the power supply / brick, which you could order at reasonable cost from the apple store or amazon (I got mine there recently after the cable ripped into pieces).

If you can, maybe just order a new brick, try it out, return if it doesnt work. Or stop by your local apple store if you have one. Maybe you have a voltmeter to determine if it is the brick or the notebook.

Cheers

JK

Good idea, I thought at first, the notebook was broken, but it could only be the external power-supply.
  • 09-18-2007 2:34 AM In reply to

Chinese Whiskey? [:'(]

New power supplies are cheap, but it could be the Power Management inside your computer that's on the fritz.

Chinese Whiskey???

• 09-25-2007 12:58 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

In the end, I got lucky, it was just the battery that was dud and it was replaced for free under warrenty. The screen still has some patchy/smudgy bits on it, though I'll wait to see if that disapears over time. It's totally functional so it's not a warrenty freeby
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)