in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-19-2007 3:15 PM by Die_Bogener. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-08-2007 6:57 PM

Clockupgrade CD 7000

Hello,

I'm trying to install a new clock for my CD 7000, with a separate powersupply (Tentlabs XO 2 with XO supply), to reduce the jitter error.

The XO supply needs an input of 230V and has a DC output which goes to the new clock.  The 230V input needs to come from the player and has to be switched on and off with the player.  In this way the clock and the supply get their current at the same time.

Can anybody help me with locating the best place to take that current in the player?

Kind regards
    Joost Declercq
    Gent (B)
  • 08-12-2007 2:55 PM In reply to

Re: Clockupgrade CD 7000

Hallo Joost,

hast du dazu einen Anschlussplan und ein paar Details? Foto?

Gruss

Martin

• 08-12-2007 4:09 PM In reply to

Hello Martin,

I don't have a real 'plan' and as I don't succeed in publishing pictures on this forum, I only can give the links to the site of Tentlabs with the informationSad

Tentlabs XO2 low jitter clock: http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/cdupgrade/xo2xo3/index.html
    Tentlabs XO supply: http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/cdupgrade/xosupply/index.html

XO2 Mounting manual: http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/cdupgrade/xo2xo3/assets/XO23mounting.pdf 

There is not yet a mounting manual for the XO supply, but the print has an input for 230V and has an output DC with has to be connected with the XO2 clock.  The XO2 clock can draw its DC current direct from the CDplayer, but Tentlabs advices to use their separate supply for the best result (for the best result D/A circuits need to have separate powersupply, to avoid possible interference, I'm told...).

In a short explanation of Guido Tent of Tentlabs (which is a Dutch compagny), he told me that the XO supply should be connected to 230V, but after the ON/OFF switch of the CD player, so the clock and the rest of the circuits receive their current at the same moment... Because the CD 7000 is in permanent stand-by, I'm not sure about the setup. 

I've also posted the question to Tentlabs, but, until now, without reply.  Maybe they're still on holiday...  The Tentlabsclock gets very good reviews in the press..

I hope there is a way to correctly connect the XO supply to the way B&O designed powersupply of the CD 7000.

When the modification succeeds, I will surely comment on the result!

Thanks in advance... 

Grusse
    Joost

• 08-13-2007 11:08 AM In reply to

Hallo,

Obviously, I've done something wrong, because my previous reply didn't pass the moderator... :-(

I've called Tentlabs in the Netherlands and they knew the problem.  They'll send me a scheme with the sollution.  When I receive it, I'll try to post it on the forum (I don't know how to post images, but I'll try...).

If you're interested: www.tentlabs.com
    The clock is the XO2 with the XO-supply.  It receives great reviews in the press.

Kind regards
    Joost Declercq
    Gent (B)
  • 08-13-2007 1:12 PM In reply to

Hallo Joost,

auf dieser Seite sind ein paar recht nette Info's, die unsere Basteleien bestätigen... OPA2134 werden als sehr gut bewertet :)

http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/cdupgrade/page39/page39.html

Aber lass es...

Wenn du den CD7000 upgraden möchtest, tausche den Operationsverstärker wie im Workshop beschrieben aus, ebenso die 4 Kondensatoren. Das bringt bereits sehr viel.

Das mit den Mute Transistoren stimmt zwar, aber in der Applikation des CD7000 sind sie unverzichtbar... oder es ploppt gewaltig und man riskiert seine Boxen.

Zu der Stromversorgung: laut den DIY Plänen ist das garnix besonderes, Bastelstandard... im CD7000 ist bereits besseres drin.

Da der CD7000 eine sehr gute 5V Versorgung hat, würde der Quarzoszillator alleine bereits reichen, also nur das silberne Kästchen alleine ;) Das gibt's einzeln beim Reichelt für 2 Euro :D Müßte nur nochmal die Frequenz suchen oder rausmessen die der TDA1541 so braucht. Mal sehen, vielleicht mach' ich demnächst n' kleines Upgrade wieder, wenn der nächste CD7000 auf der Werkbank liegt :)

Gruss

Martin

• 08-19-2007 12:54 PM In reply to

Hello Martin,

Thanks again for the good and wise advice.  But, being young and enthousiastic, I already bought the XO-2 and installed it a few days ago (without the XO-supply until now).
    I can't say that I yet hear a world of difference.  I'll give it some time..

The sound was already very good after the modifications you suggested.  I used some different components (which should be highgrade, and of which I know you find them overrated and to expensive :-).

So my CD 7000 mod now looks like this:
    Opamp IC11 and IC12: National Semiconductor LM4562NA
    C111 and C211: Black Gate N
    clockupgrade: Tentlabs XO-2

Together with the other mods in the BM 7000, the Beolab Penta and the RL 60/2's, this start to be a solid sounding (hifi)setup :-).

I'm looking forward to more mod-tips :-).

Kind regards
    Joost
    Gent (B)
  • 08-19-2007 3:15 PM In reply to

Hello Joost,

the LM4562 has very nice data... around 2-3 times better than the OPA2132. And the OPA is already a pretty good sounding opamp.

I think, i have to get some of these chips for testing. :)

Jitter is not sooooo bad, a lot of very expensive hifi components has a lot of this timing jitter and doesn't sound worse than others with very good timing. Some friends told me, that even some jitter makes the sound more natural... i dont know hard facts about this. Just testing a quarz oszillator ;)

The black gate capacitors are very interesting parts. But they are electrolytic capacitors, even very good ones will have some problems after some years. Polypropylene or styrol will not have this problem.

Martin  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)