in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-02-2007 2:52 AM by auric. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-31-2007 1:59 AM

Help with Beogram TX

Hi:

I posted this to the Beogram  list a few days ago and didn't get a response.  I hope the technically minded audience here might be able help me out.

If the "clicking" is abnormal, please offer advice on how this might be corrected.

Thanks,

Derek

========================
    I'm wondering if those familiar with the TX2 would mind answering a few questions for me. 1) Moving the tone arm left and right; is it rather slow? especially compared to a Beogram 8000? 2) When you move the tone arm to the extreme right (ie depressing the right key until the tonearm can not go further) does it it start clicking as it tries to push further across to the right? 3) Does the above also happen in the 45 rpm mode? Ie you play a 45 record so the arm cues to the center, but when you force it to the right by pressing the right key it starts clicking as if something is obstructing its path? I'm trying to determine if my TX2 is functioning properly. Thanks, Derek

• 07-31-2007 2:16 AM In reply to

Re: Help with Beogram TX

Hello Derek, I didn't mean to ignore your previous posting but I currently don't have a record deck to enable me to try and reproduce your system.

I am sure that someone will be along soon with an answer.

Regards Graham

• 07-31-2007 8:06 AM In reply to

I have had a 6002 and it should work in much the same way as the 8000. Don't like the sound of the clicking; once it reaches the centre it should just bounce back and return to the rest position. It also has fast and slow buttons unlike the 8000 which uses the other buttons for speed control. The user and service manuals are on site if that is helpful.
  • 07-31-2007 8:50 AM In reply to

Hi Derek,

I've just found a BG5500 and powered it up. This should work same as TX2.

There is no clicking sound when driving hard right in eith 33 or 45 mode. It just moves to the edge of the record and continues to spin with the arm stationery and no clicking noise!

I've never had a BG8000 to compare speed of arm movement with.

Hope this helps.

Regards Graham

• 07-31-2007 12:02 PM In reply to

Thanks Graham for you help as always!

Derek

• 07-31-2007 12:07 PM In reply to

Hi Peter:

The 8000 series and its derivative tables have an mechanical optical gate which allows for variable speed control of the tone arm movement.

On the TX the controls are simple on/off switches so not sure how you control speed on it.

Derek

• 07-31-2007 2:14 PM In reply to

There are two buttons for each direction. < & > for slow and << & >> for fast. I attach the page from the manual. The TX was a derivative of the 6002 , the TX2 referred to by Graham was a variant of the later and lighter weight 3000. In the 6002/TX, there is no speed control of the platter unlike the 8000/6006 and so the buttons are put to another use!! Laughing Nice deck - very like the 4002 in principle!

PS Have seen that despite the title TX, you are meaning the TX2 - so Graham is answering you better. The TX2 uses a cord to move the arm and I dare say that this is the problem. 

• 07-31-2007 9:04 PM In reply to

Re: Help with Beogram TX2

Hi Peter:

Sorry for the confusion, its the TX 2 not TX.

Thanks for the attachment.  Yes this is the el-cheapo design with the cord. Actually that' kind of how the dot matrix printer heads were driven. The later tables feels like toys...ultra light weight and rather flimsy feeling.

I much prefer the precision brass screw rod and the general construction of the older decks.

Thanks again!

Derek

• 08-01-2007 3:57 AM In reply to

Have you got a 4000 type deck? These are even better made than the 8000. One salesman, not an owner of a prestigious London branch, used to demonstrate the sturdiness by placing a gram on the floor and standing on it. I wonder if his affluence would allow him to get away with this now! Big Smile
  • 08-01-2007 6:18 PM In reply to

Peter:

I do not own a 4000 series only 8000. I am however definitely in the market for one. Most are badly abused on this side of the pond but I keep hoping and looking. I'm told it is an amazing deck from a materials and construction point of view. I also like the look.

I was shocked to see how cheaply constructed the post 8000 series B&O turntables are. The tone are mechanism is practically all plastic. The 8000 tone arm mechanism is a work of art.

I wish Soundsmith would drop their prices on the entry level 20 series cartridges to make then in line with the entry level MMC 1-4 series.

Derek

• 08-02-2007 2:52 AM In reply to

Re: Help with Beogram TX 2

Hi Graham and All:

I'm still working on the TX2 turntable. 

Do you have any idea how the arm knows when it has reached its end destination when driven to the hard right? I'm looking for a switch of some sort but can't find one.

What's happening is that when I drive the arm hard right the motor continues to spin while the Right control is depressed. Since the arm can go no further it starts clicking as the worm gear continues to wind. There should be some  mechanism that disables the tone arm drive motor once it reaches the far right. Any idea what this might be?

Thanks,

Derek

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)