in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-05-2007 4:44 AM by Puncher. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2007 1:34 PM

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

BBC/iPlayer not Mac compatible - sign online government petition

The BBC plans to launch an on-demand tv service which uses software that will only be available to Windows users. The BBC should not be allowed to show commercial bias in this way, or to exclude certain groups of the population from using its services. The BBC say that they provide 'services for everyone, free of commercial interests and political bias'. Locking the new service's users into Microsoft Windows whilst ignoring those members of society who use other operating systems should does not fit in with the BBC's ethos and should not be allowed.

Have you signed ?

Article for more info

• 07-26-2007 5:48 PM In reply to

Re: BBC/iPlayer not Mac compatible - sign online government petition

Well, with Leopard OS you can run Windows in parallel with your Mac OS; which you can do with Parallels today, of course...

• 07-26-2007 6:06 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I presume you mean Boot Camp? You can do this already with Tiger, but it involves downloading the app. It will be included with Leopard, that's the only difference.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-27-2007 8:18 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I ask you - if you were releasing a new service/product would you initially concentrate on the vast majority of users/consumers and then pick up the (relatively small) minority at a later date or would you wait until you could guarantee 100% coverage before release - surely we live in the real world?? If this were the case none of us would even have conventional TV yet while we waited for Aunty Beeb to ensure all corners and crevices of the UK had full reception coverage and there were no black spots in valleys or behind obstacles etc.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-27-2007 10:01 AM In reply to

Alex:

I presume you mean Boot Camp? You can do this already with Tiger, but it involves downloading the app. It will be included with Leopard, that's the only difference.

No, I was thinking of Leopard, which will have it implemented, and where rumours are you can have both OSs up at the same time. With Boot Camp you can't -- but Parallels lets you do that. 

• 07-27-2007 10:38 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

What they were talking of doing with Leopard, was a way of booting into Windows (yes fully booting, not emulating) while in Leopard. It's actually possible, but they've dropped that feature now Sad.

I believe the Beeb had a class action filed against them, and they've now said they're going to release it for Mac at a later date.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-27-2007 11:05 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

What they were talking of doing with Leopard, was a way of booting into Windows (yes fully booting, not emulating) while in Leopard. It's actually possible, but they've dropped that feature now Sad.

I believe the Beeb had a class action filed against them, and they've now said they're going to release it for Mac at a later date.

I would doubt they ever intended anything else !

By the way I've set up my own petition as the BBC seems to pay an inordinate amount of attention to wannabe cooks and gardeners whilst ignoring those whose hobby is tropical fish - well I pay my license too and I deserve to be representedWink (meanwhile thats 500 to meBig Smile)

• 08-04-2007 12:48 PM In reply to

what particularly irks me is the bbc had the cheek to steal the i prefix from apple in the first place , they spend too much time pandering to bill gates - who invested a load of money in the bbc a few years ago

imo the bbc are a disgrace and should be disbanded , i cdertainly don't see why we should pay a license fee for some of the dross they foist on the general public

gardening makeover auction chat drivel with cynthia nobody and andy zero

popgear is grate™

• 08-04-2007 2:03 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

.. and here's me thinking the BBC was the envy of the world regarding public service broadcasting. Spend any time at all watching TV in the US and you're more than happy to hand your license fee over on your return.

• 08-05-2007 3:17 AM In reply to

the biggest recent con was the series jekyll , don't get me wrong , the lead - nesbitt is a stunning actor and the series was ok , but the day after the show ended it came out on dvd

if that's not milking the public - what is ?

in the old days we had repeats , now it's dvd's that we have to pay £20 for

the bbc really are a total ripoff

popgear is grate™

• 08-05-2007 4:44 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

It will inevitabley be repeated and you don't actually have to buy the DVD - job sorted!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)