in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-19-2007 6:03 AM by pedrompinto. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2007 2:47 AM

• lindin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Need advice regarding surround sound

Hi

I  have today the following setup:

• BL8000
    • MX6000
    • BL2500
    • Beo4
    • Ouverture
    • Loads of ML-cables and a black box for connecting the Ouverture to the MX6000

I would like to get surround sound in my livingroom. I am planning to sell the MX6000 and buy a BC6-26 and (maybe) the BC2 to get DVD/DivX in my setup.

Q:s

• How do I get a good surround sound? Do I need to buy more speakers, exchange my BL8000 or do I have enough to get a good sound?
    • Is it a good idea to buy the BC2 (and sell the Ouverture) or will I be just as happy with a good 3:d party DVD-player?

We are building a separate hone cinema room so this is just for having a nice setup in case we will watch a movie and don't want to do it in the home cinema. 

Thanks, Stefan
  • 07-18-2007 3:37 AM In reply to

Re: Need advice regarding surround sound

Hi,

just order the surround module with the BC6-26 and you're fine. I would suggest to use the BL8k as front speaker and the BL2500 as rear speakers (pay attention to place right and left one correct as they do not have switches). Then masterlink the BC6 and the Ouverture (BC6 in option 2, Ouverture in option 0).

The DVD player question depends a little bit on your setup - can you hide an ugly 3rd party player? Than this is an option due to price. If not the BC2 is the way to go. Alternative could be a BV7-32, should be the same price range as BC6-26 with BC2.

• 07-18-2007 3:50 AM In reply to

• Mico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Finland
    • Posts 136
    • Founder

I agree mostly with Marcus.

I would never buy the BC2 because IMO it is ugly. Ouverture looks nice. Wait a month? for the DVD2.

• 07-18-2007 3:52 AM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

marcus_m:

Hi,

just order the surround module with the BC6-26 and you're fine. I would suggest to use the BL8k as front speaker and the BL2500 as rear speakers (pay attention to place right and left one correct as they do not have switches). Then masterlink the BC6 and the Ouverture (BC6 in option 2, Ouverture in option 0).

The DVD player question depends a little bit on your setup - can you hide an ugly 3rd party player? Than this is an option due to price. If not the BC2 is the way to go. Alternative could be a BV7-32, should be the same price range as BC6-26 with BC2.

As an alternative to BC2 you could buy a DVD2 (will be available in the next weeks) and so you would also get a DVD playback +  DVD/harddisk recording at lower cost and wouldn't need to sell the Ouverture (I would keep it because of it timeless design).

You may also consider adding a Beolab 2. However, as it is not going to be your main home cinema room, you may be also be fine without a subwoofer.

BV7-40, BC6-26, DVD2, BCordV8000, BS4, BS2, BS Ouverture, BC9500, BM8000, BCord9000, BL8000, BL6000, BL2, BL3, BVox4500, BCom6000, Beomedia1, BCom5, Serenata

• 07-18-2007 4:17 AM In reply to

• lindin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Thank you all for replying.

It seems like waiting for the DVD2 might be a good idea. I am not totally convinced that I like the look of the BC2.

Since I do have the BL2500 they might be nice to have as rear speakers. I havent used the BL2500 since I bought the BL8000 so it is about time to get them up and running again.

Are there any pics of the DVD2 available?

Another question:

I have several MACs in my house and a lot of MP3:s that I would like to play in my B&O system. As I see it I have two choices:

1. Buy the MAC->B&O (IR-thing)

2. Use the Airport Extreme (Apples WLAN) and connect the audio out to my Ouverture

The only problem is that I need to have a good way to sort/shuffle/search my MP3:s.

How have you solved that issue in your homes?

• 07-18-2007 4:50 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You've already given two of the solutions, but the 'official' B&O ones would be:

1. Use a 'BeoPort', a device which connects to the USB on your computer. You would need to download a 3rd party piece of software to run it on a Mac, but it's actually better in the end. The software is called 'BM-Link'. This allows you to control iTunes as if it's a B&O link product, meaning you can beam it across an ML network with full control, and even information on the display about the current track. This is where I would recommend the BeoCenter 2 over the DVD2, as you will get information about the music playing, and hands-on control!

2. The BeoMedia. It's kinda pricey, but very very clever. I'm not sure how well it integrates with Macs (B&O seem to be a bit reluctant to tie in with Macs Sad) but it does work, even if it's a bit clumsy. It basically allows you to sync media across the network. Think of it as an AppleTV with a bigger HDD, ability to be controlled by the B&O remote, and an extra 0 on the end of the price tag!

3. Control an AppleTV through the B&O Remote. This would be the best option IMO, although there are some limitations in that you can't do 'fast scrolling'. However, you do get the ability to stream movies, which can turn out very high quality if you rip them with Handbrake and very high settings. I believe the AppleTV is being added to all controller lists, and hence the BeoCenter 6 should soon come with the ability to control an aTV.

As for surround sound, a BeoCenter 6-26 is what you need! You can use the BeoLab 2500s, although a better option would be to trade them in for a pair of BeoLab 4000s, which are much more up to the job visually and sonically.

I would say however, rather than go the surround sound route straight away, get a BeoLab 2 subwoofer to support the 8000s. This makes more of a difference than adding rear speakers. Don't forget, surround sound is not better sound, it's more sound! Adding a BL2 to the setup will allow the 8000s to sing much better, as they aren't having to handle much in the way of low frequencies.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-18-2007 5:28 AM In reply to

At the moment my solution is:

- Mac Mini with NAS attached to my BV7-40

With this solution i can listen to my music without any problems; i use beo4 and the apple remote though. 

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 07-18-2007 1:18 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

lindin:

How have you solved that issue in your homes?

I have my iMac(Intel) in the same room as my Beosound 4. I use FrontRow, Apple Remote and Airport Express. Its good enough for me.

• 07-18-2007 3:31 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Richard, Are you going through an identity crisis?
    This morning you were Brittops then this afternoon you were Britpops and now this evening you are BritopsConfused

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-18-2007 3:42 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

lol, you spotted.

Regards Britops, Bratops, britpops etc 

• 07-18-2007 3:48 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yeah. Is there method in your madness?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-18-2007 3:52 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Nope, just pure Wednesday madness. 
  • 07-18-2007 10:26 PM In reply to

I have an Imac with Ired/IrTrans and control Frontrow via Beo4. This includes a page up page down like workaround for fastscrolling. Works OK.If the TV is just for occasional viewing I think you could try to get a deal on the BV7 32. It seems everyone is eyeing an upgrade which may or may not come (only for 40" it was confirmed). Did you consider getting a mini mac and connect that rather then a BC2? Not 100% sure if this works though with surround connection to the BC6 (the mini mac has optical out). Cheers

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-18-2007 10:36 PM In reply to

Hello All:

Could someone please drop a link to a picture of DVD2?  What are the specs?  
    Is is worth it compared to a third party solution?

Dario
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 07-19-2007 6:03 AM In reply to

jk1002:
    I have an Imac with Ired/IrTrans and control Frontrow via Beo4. This includes a page up page down like workaround for fastscrolling. Works OK.If the TV is just for occasional viewing I think you could try to get a deal on the BV7 32. It seems everyone is eyeing an upgrade which may or may not come (only for 40" it was confirmed). Did you consider getting a mini mac and connect that rather then a BC2? Not 100% sure if this works though with surround connection to the BC6 (the mini mac has optical out). Cheers

jk1002,

can you switch on your pc with the beo4 using the Ired + irtrans solution ? 

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)