in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-27-2012 4:55 AM by uysalt. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-24-2012 5:14 PM

• uysalt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2012
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

How to Guide – Loewe Individual TV set with B&O speakers

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Times; panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; mso-themecolor:hyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0cm; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Times; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

I have posted the content of this under ‘B&O or Loewe’ thread but probably better that I post it separately here too, as it is not really my intention to compare the two.

On the very basics; b&o, audio and/or video, may not really be the very top of the line in the world but we still have bought these products for their looks, built and technical qualities, including integration of various elements across.

If, therefore, money is not all an issue, suggest you should continue buying b&o!

On audio, I would not change my speakers, except for better b&o ones. For playing media, these days your computer/laptop or iPad is probably better than using an audio source but again I would find it difficult for one to give up on an, say, BeoSound 9000…a timeless piece for sure (I do not have one).

As for TV; there is no other TV brand that has better 'audio on TV' quality, period. As for video and other features that you may be looking to have on a TV set…well there are more than few around. Loewe is one, with looks to start with, the features that b&o is somewhat struggling to have and for those of us who are price conscious, stand out from the crowd as a 'good value for money'.

In these forums, I have read people worrying whether they could use their b&o speakers with their non b&o sets. The link below (sorry rather long) is your ‘How to Guide – Loewe TV set with B&O speakers’ where you could, surprisingly easily, integrate the two together. Hope you will find it useful.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36715224/Loewe%20Individual%20TV%20with%20B%26O%20Speakers.pdf

Regards,

• 02-24-2012 5:27 PM In reply to

Re: How to Guide – Loewe Individual TV set with B&O speakers

I really don't get the argument that B&O have 'struggled' to implement new technologies - this is one area they have always been way ahead in but using a different approach - namely their proprietary 'Peripheral Unit Control' or STB system to control third party devices via the TV and remote control without having to rely on IR line of sight.

This means that whatever the user wants to do, it is easily integrated into the users system. Whilst there is a growing trend of some features being available through the actual TV itself, such as limited Internet browsing (introduced to Bang & Olufsen owners via BeoMedia in 2006 - well ahead of the smart tv movement) iPlayer, Skype etc - there is still no device out there that can do everything, and different people want different things. As far as I can see, PUC offers by far the most flexibility to do everything you may want to do - and the technology is built into every TV at no extra cost.

Not to say that future B&O tv's won't have more smart features, as always they watch the market and look to introduce proven features once they have been established and passed their initial troubles, but I do think it's wrong to say they have struggled to implement new technologies. PUC was way ahead of anyone else's technologies and still is by far the most useful feature to give you a truly integrated and bespoke entertainment system.

BV7-40MK4BR,7-32,6-22,6-23,6-26,BSnd5,9000,BLab9,3,4000,2,BCom2,6000,Btalk1200,LC2s,Lutron

• 02-25-2012 1:02 AM In reply to

Of course B&O have struggled to implement new technologies, and that's why they came out with the PUC solution!

No BeoVision to date has a built-in hard-drive, Ethernet /DLNA connection, USB socket, and automatic software updates via Internet! 

The PUC solution is the total opposite of what I call integration. When I bought my Avant, it offered an integrated solution. The only "integrated" product nowadays would be the BV7 family, but even then, the speaker unit is no more integrated..same for the stand.

I don't want a separate hard drive, DVD player, DVB-T decoder, and speaker system, with 2 or 3 new cables for each product, all that going to the back of the BV, I want all that in my BeoVision, that's why, unfortunately for B&O, I turned to another TV brand. Surprise

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-25-2012 3:38 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

Chrisreunion,

but with a "non" Beovision you will end with even more wire, 2nd remote if you try to integrate it into a B&O invironment (front-, rear speaker, Beosound).

Till today, there so no solution. For one year I`m looking for a new telly to replace my BV8-40. I do not want to spend 10k for a BV7-40 and I do not like the BV10-40, because I`d like to place the TV on a sideboard (wire, sockets, receiver, AppleTV have to be hidden).

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 02-25-2012 4:36 AM In reply to

• uysalt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2012
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

hotknife,

More wires  ; definetly not in the case of Loewe. You speaker wires would run into the TV set the same. Follow up what I had writtten and you would end up with your speakers turning on/off with the Loewe set, the same way they would with a Loewe set.

Second remote ; true but...I do use my b&o Ouverture so little these days unless it is a cd that I would like to listen to. All digital materail go through Apple TV, either through my MacBook, iPhone or iPad. Loewe remote could be programmed for Apple TV codes, so I end up with two (in fact three). Would have been the same with b&o + Apple TV ?

As for the Ouverture, it is linked up into the Loewe too, through an AV input.

Have a look into Loewe Individual 46. Chris looks to have gone 52, that is even better if you have the space. Watch out the sound, however, for the centre speaker, it is critical for a b&o user.

• 02-25-2012 4:47 AM In reply to

• uysalt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2012
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Chrisreunion,

Although you did not mention it here, in the 'B&O or Loewe' thread you had mentioned that you also had gone for a Loewe solution.

Have a question; I do have a hardisk with movie content and tried it with the Loewe USB connection, it works but I could not get the subtitles. Would you know how? For that reason only I use a Media Player to play that externally and end up with one further device/remote unncessarily.

• 02-25-2012 10:19 AM In reply to

I think you should all 'PUC' off. If you hate how Bang & Olufsen does things you should join another forum. That is all.
  • 02-25-2012 11:51 AM In reply to

niJinsky:
    I think you should all 'PUC' off. If you hate how Bang & Olufsen does things you should join another forum. That is all.

That's a bit harsh. 

None of us hate B&O.

All we seek, in our different ways (Apple, Lowe, foreign DACs, vintage products) is to optimise the value we get from B&O for the money we are able to spend.

None of us have limitless resources.

We just have different clip levels.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 02-25-2012 3:56 PM In reply to

uysalt:
    Loewe remote could be programmed for Apple TV codes, so I end up with two (in fact three). Would have been the same with b&o + Apple TV ?

No, you would only ever have one IR remote with B&O - Apple TV is very common with Bang & Olufsen owners, perfectly operated via PUC whether the Apple TV is in the same room or not, and distributable to up to 16 other TV's in full high definition via the Bang & Olufsen / Atlona developed NL Matrix.

PUC will also control Playstation 4, Xbox 2015, Facebook Ultra, Sky+ 4K and any other IR based products that haven't been invented yet - which is why I definitely hold it in much higher regard than features which may be relevant now but could become obselete in a matter of years.

Even the idea of a built in hard drive - my Sky+ HD box has 160Gb storage - which seemed good at the time.  Now 1TB is the standard - not a problem for PUC control.  I read an article yesterday that said it would take 225 Blu Ray discs to store one movie in 4K.  So if we all move towards more and more HD recording demands - integrated hard drives will be too small and there is no certainty that you could update the hard drive with new storage technologies that come along. 

Bang & Olufsen didn't develop PUC because they were struggling to implement new technologies - they brought it out over a decade ago and it was a unique and powerful feature.  They have been true to this technology ever since and have a team dedicated to constantly updating the equipment list.  They also offer a dedicated service where you can request the PUC control you want and they will create it for you if it is not already available.

I like the idea that I will always be able to integrate whatever takes my fancy at any point in the future.  Nothing worse than multiple remotes when you get used to only needing one.

BV7-40MK4BR,7-32,6-22,6-23,6-26,BSnd5,9000,BLab9,3,4000,2,BCom2,6000,Btalk1200,LC2s,Lutron

• 02-25-2012 4:32 PM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

Nice guide - I'm sure it will be very useful for many people!

And I agree with Martin. In the old days it was simple; people either watched analog TV or DVD. Both very easy to integrate. But today there are many different standards for broadcasting; DVB-T/C/S (which all are updated with new codecs etc. all the time) and some companies require their users to use branded boxes. And some people watch TV via fiber/internet, and a lot of people don't watch TV at all! And there are so many standards and services it would be (almost) impossible to support them all. And all the media players built into TVs that I have seen have been slow and crappy. The stand-alone players just seem a lot better (but that could change, of course). So I say let Netflix, Dlink, Apple, Popcornhour++ worry about the boxes and let people choose what suites them best!

And it's quite cool that your old Avant can controll a new Apple TV like it were build-in!

• 02-26-2012 1:41 PM In reply to

• uysalt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2012
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

One really bad thing in this change for me was losing the Beo4 remote !! Loved it right from the start but now I only would use it for starting the CD and sometimes the analogue radio stations (there are a resonable number of digital radio channels with the cable TV (HD) broadcast). I have not moved into Beo6 (or 5) remote at all and I am sure is a good one.

In another part of the house we have a cinema screen (only the front speakers are Beo3s). All the equipment there I manage with Logitech 1100 remote. Does it get the job done...yes.

PUC looks to be very versatile for sure but the issue is I guess, when it comes to a crunch, would it be unbearable if I used two remotes vs cost?...and having mentioned PUC I wonder what the b&o delaer would say if I were to take my remote for programming the Beo4 remote for a Loewe TV?

As for the comments on various broadcasting standards, as I was shopping for TV it was clear that almost all of top of the line of Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Loewe, etc were offering sets that could accept cable, satellite with all the standards that you have mentioned, including HbbTV that I had even had heard of. If they could do it, so could (and should b&o. Why lack behind for nothing ! If b&o is buying panels already could they not even buy some of those off-the-shelf?

On medai players, you are right. For example Loewe would not display the subtitles so I end up using the external media player..which is the third remote for me :( although Loewe is playing the disk itself rather well. Hopefully comes around with one of the software updates, that one could do online.

• 02-26-2012 2:46 PM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

Hi uysalt,

You could use a Lintronc -238 box to control your Loewe with the Beo4. It's already in the lintronic DBB: http://www.lintronic.dk/Support.asp?Supported_ID=1461

hfat

• 02-26-2012 5:26 PM In reply to

Beo4 isnt a programmable remote but Beo5/6 could be set up to control everything you have as long as they are IR devices, inc your TV.

As far as i know, the tuners in the B&O TV range do cover all the bases? My current 10-46 has DVB-T2 (the UK standard for Freeview HD), plus S2 (UK standard for Freesat HD) and Cable inputs - all three.

You do need to tell the dealer what inputs you want at the point of ordering but this can be of benefit - if you dont ask for the Satellite tuner for example then then TV is about £200 cheaper. Thats the beauty of having a TV 'built' to your individual specifications.

• 02-27-2012 4:55 AM In reply to

• uysalt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2012
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

Hi hfat,

I didn't know about Lintronic before and I have contacted immediately on your prompt,so thanks a lot for that :) Looks like it really is a very good product already and more excitement looks to be around the corner with the iPad solution (although I would still keep a 'classic' remote like Beo4 around) !!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)