in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-15-2012 11:52 AM by elephant. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2012 5:56 PM

beovision 8 and beolab 6000 set up issue

Hi

Anyone able to offer any advice please?

I have a pair of beolab 6000s powerlinked to a  Beovision 8 32. I am less than overjoyed with the overall sound, particularly when playing music/radio at <average volume, the tv speakers "distort" easily at which point the 6000s are hardly working. 

I have tried all manner of bass/treble etc settings via sound menu to no avail. 

Many thanks in anticipation

• 02-08-2012 12:23 AM In reply to

Re: beovision 8 and beolab 6000 set up issue

ducati996:

Hi

Anyone able to offer any advice please?

I have a pair of beolab 6000s powerlinked to a  Beovision 8 32. I am less than overjoyed with the overall sound, particularly when playing music/radio at <average volume, the tv speakers "distort" easily at which point the 6000s are hardly working. 

I have tried all manner of bass/treble etc settings via sound menu to no avail. 

Many thanks in anticipation

sounds very strange

I have Beolab 3s connected to the BV8.32 and have also tried BeoLab 4s in the past

not hear the distortion swamping my speakers

nor even heard any distortion per se

however there is a centre balance setting and i wonder if that is wrongly set

check [MENU] {SOUND} {CENTRE}

also try the different speakers being switched on and off to see if you pin point the problem:

[SPEAKER] + 1 = just the BV8 centre speaker

[SPEAKER] + 2 = just the Beolab 6000s

[SPEAKER] + 3 = BL6Ks and BV8

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 02-08-2012 12:25 AM In reply to

Sure that everything it set up right ind the "Sound" menu under "Speaker type"?

When listening to music you should go for Speaker 2, as there is no center channel in ordinary stereo music, but the DSP puts alot of energy into the center channel in Speaker 3, because that is how movie sound is mixed.

So.. Speaker 2 for music and Speaker 3 for movies/TV, as you can't change the way the DSP works in Speaker 3 (and therefore have no control of how much energy goes to the different speakers)

This however doesn't explain the distortion you are experiencing, unless we have very different understanding of the term "average volume" Smile

• 02-08-2012 12:42 AM In reply to

CasperI:
    This however doesn't explain the distortion you are experiencing, unless we have very different understanding of the term "average volume" Smile

Good point ! what number shows up on the screen at your "average volume" level ? I tend to run mine between 35 and 55 depending upon the type of music, show etc

i.e. TV ads get 35 or <MUTE> Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 02-08-2012 2:14 PM In reply to

Many thanks for the prompt replies. Years of Acid House Smile and hardcore German Techno mean my above average is now around 50+ ! 

I am not  back home till Friday so cant give the suggestions a try just yet, I do not recall seeing a speaker type option in the sound menu though?

If I select speaker via beo4 a grey box with speaker 3 shows on the tv but this cannot be altered. 

• 02-09-2012 1:10 AM In reply to

When entering the "Sound" menu, go to "Sound Setup" and then "Speaker Type".
    Now you can use arrow left/right to choose your front speakers.

If you select "Speaker" on the BEO4, yes, the screen shows the current speaker option and now you can press "1", "2" and "3" on the BEO4 to choose between the different speaker options.

Speaker option 1: Center speaker only (TV speaker in you case).
    Speaker option 2: Front speakers only (BL6000)
    Speaker option 3: Both center and front speakers. But note that they will not play at equal volume, as the DSP will try to split up the signal   according to what it will do to a movie, where the center speaker takes most of the signal, and the front and rear speakers are more for effects etc.
    This is why you are experiencing that your TV speaker goes way louder than your front speaker, as it simply have to play a lot more of the complete sound signal. This is why i think you should try out the "Speaker 2" option and see if that works out better for you Smile

• 02-09-2012 10:07 AM In reply to

CasperI:
    When entering the "Sound" menu, go to "Sound Setup" and then "Speaker Type".
    Now you can use arrow left/right to choose your front speakers.

Not an option with my BV8-32 so maybe not for the OP either

CasperI:
    Speaker option 3: Both center and front speakers. But note that they will not play at equal volume, as the DSP will try to split up the signal   according to what it will do to a movie, where the center speaker takes most of the signal, and the front and rear speakers are more for effects etc.

This is where [MENU] {SOUND} {CENTRE} helps in you being able to tune the balance/emphasis of the volume from between the centre speaker versus the L+R speaker

The [MENU] {SOUND} {BALANCE} is of cource traditional balance between L+R

CasperI:
    and rear speakers are more for effects etc.

The BV8-32 only has one powerlink port ... so it supports L+R stereo ... but does not have any support for 5.1 processing, so no rear speakers

You can have a BeoLab 11 at the front of the powerlink daisy chain, but that is not relying on any fancy 5.1 processing - it is "just" B&O smarts :-)

• 02-09-2012 1:17 PM In reply to

Oh, my fault. Don't know why i thought it was a BV8-40. Then i'm not shure of the setup options in the menus. My bad Geeked

• 02-12-2012 6:24 PM In reply to

Had a play with the settings and as suggested altering the speakers from 3 to 2 eliminates the distortion from the BV8 speakers. Many thanks

There isn't a speaker type setting in the sound menu. Sorry for being an a*se but the centre option in the sound menu, which slides left to right as per balance, treble and bass I dont seem to detect any diference. What should it do?

Also the position option, 1 or 2 ?

• 02-13-2012 2:54 AM In reply to

ducati996:
    the centre option in the sound menu, which slides left to right as per balance, treble and bass I dont seem to detect any diference. What should it do?

This option is explained in the BV8-32's Reference Book:

(CENTRE) ... Only available if you have externa/ loudspeakers to the television.  Adjusts the balance between the external and internal speakers.

So it only has an effect on [SPEAKER] + 3 which activates both the external (powerlinked) speakers and the internal (centre) speaker.

For me, when in [SPEAKER] + 3 mode I can hear the difference as I wind the slider up or down.

For me, the centre speaker appears to have more bass, and for some broadcast movies I find this bass too dominant, and so I either run [SPEAKER] + 2, or I lower the "balance" going to the centre speaker to about the 1/3rd mark.

Try moving the (CENTRE) slider to the middle, and then try [SPEAKER] + 3, and see if that has fixed the distortion of too much emphasis on the centre speaker.

• 02-14-2012 5:02 PM In reply to

Many thanks once more, I will try the centre setting again when back home. And the position option?

Sorry but I misplaced my manual some time ago....

• 02-15-2012 11:52 AM In reply to

ducati996:
    And the position option?

your wish is my command Laughing

POSITION ... When the televsion is placed in a corner or close to the wall, the bass level is boosted compared to the bass level achieved when placed in a more free-standing position.  To remove this excessive bass boost, select the correct POSITION setting.  If the television is placed in a corner, or setup against a wall, select POSITION 2.  If the television is placed away from a wall, select POSTION 1. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)