in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-13-2012 3:23 PM by paul. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-18-2011 7:07 PM

• paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-10-2009
    • dublin
    • Posts 130
    • Gold Member

beogram recommendations??

Im thinking of getting into vinyl and wondering about beograms in general and maybe a few spacific recommendaations?

I currently have lab5's /beolab 4000's,  Beovision 7-40 MK111 and beosound9000 ...I need something to work with this system. I also want something beautiful, not tooooo old!! So those of you who know about BeoGrams, can you advise me please?

Musically, i will be listening to a wide range from choral/classical to pop/rock.

appreciate yuor help guys.

Many thanks

Paul

BeoVision 7-40 MKIV with BeoLab 7-4 Vertical speaker, BeoSound 9000 CD/Tuner, Speakers are a pair of  BeoLab 5 in Black with a pair of BeoLab 4000 as rear speakers, and in bedroom BeoCentre 6-26 with BeoLab 8000's. Both the Kitchen and bathroom have Beolab3500's. BeoCom 2 and BeoCom 5 phones. Beo 6 and Beo4 remotes. LATEST ADDITION: Beogram 7000 with MMC2 stylus....

• 12-19-2011 5:19 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Re: beogram recommendations??

Hi,

A Beogram 4500 would be ideal I guess, because it looks beautiful and has an RIAA module... sound quality wise it appears to be quite alright but it certainly is NOT a Beogram 4000!

However, you will have to buy a good MMC2 or MMC1!

There might be one on eBay...Wink

Jacques

• 12-19-2011 8:12 AM In reply to

Hi Paul,

The best answer may depend on how serious you are planning to be about vinyl. 

The 4500 has the benefit of an inbuilt RIAA pre-amp (as do the BG 6500 and BG7000 which are the same deck mechanically but with different styling).  These are fine turntables (I have recently bought a 6500) but are, as Chartz says, definitely not a BG 400X.  However, the BG 6000 from the seventies is!   Here is a link to the relevant information on this site  http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=301   This might be a better choice although it is possibly in the category you describe as 'tooooo old'. 

There is another option, albeit a more expensive, non-B&O  one.  JA Michel in the UK make a fabulous looking turntable which has a design pedigree going back to the late 60s - the Gyrodec.  http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/turntables/ 

It sounds excellent and would be a stunning match, both acoustically and aesthetically, for the BL5s 

Cleve

• 12-22-2011 3:22 AM In reply to

• paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-10-2009
    • dublin
    • Posts 130
    • Gold Member

Thnaks for yuor replies cleve and Jacque, i really appreciate it. The links you gave Cleve were very informative and Im now in a better position to decide:)

just as a marter of interest, if I  do get hold of a good B&O deck, how difficult is it to get the stylus needles these days? 

happy xmas guys:)

Paul

BeoVision 7-40 MKIV with BeoLab 7-4 Vertical speaker, BeoSound 9000 CD/Tuner, Speakers are a pair of  BeoLab 5 in Black with a pair of BeoLab 4000 as rear speakers, and in bedroom BeoCentre 6-26 with BeoLab 8000's. Both the Kitchen and bathroom have Beolab3500's. BeoCom 2 and BeoCom 5 phones. Beo 6 and Beo4 remotes. LATEST ADDITION: Beogram 7000 with MMC2 stylus....

• 12-22-2011 4:52 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

It is not difficult at all! 

Either buy brand new from Soundsmith, or buy a duff one on ebay (not more than €20-30) and have it re-tipped chez Axel Schurholz, or buy an already repaired one from him!

Not really a problem these days. Someone on eBay with a 100% feedback (UK) also sells complete refurbished Beograms with Axel's cartridges! Wink

Jacques

• 12-22-2011 8:28 AM In reply to

chartz:

or buy a duff one on ebay (not more than €20-30) and have it re-tipped chez Axel Schurholz, or buy an already repaired one from him!

Not really a problem these days. Someone on eBay with a 100% feedback (UK) also sells complete refurbished Beograms with Axel's cartridges! Wink

Agree on both counts.  Axel's work is consistently good and, if the seller on ebay Jacques is referring to is who I think it is, I would also recommend them very strongly as well.  

Cleve 

• 12-22-2011 9:08 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

If I were you I'd get one from LifestyleAV or another reseller as just buying one off eBay can normally end in disappointment - in condition or even arriving in a number pieces.

LifestyleAV currently have a 4500 but no cartridge and the item/service will be superb. The seller Beo4life on eBay is an active member on Beoworld (joeyboygolf) and knows these beograms inside out. He services them before they go out and normally with a'new' Axel cartridge. I don't know his current stock but it might be worth showing your interest via a pm.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 12-22-2011 3:46 PM In reply to

• paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-10-2009
    • dublin
    • Posts 130
    • Gold Member

Thanks a lot guys - very helpful and at least I now know where to look for the beogram. much appreciated and if I do buy, ill add a pic to gallery!

paul

• 12-22-2011 7:39 PM In reply to

And if you really don't have any succes with these two then I can surely help you (got 5, or is it 6)Big Smile

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 01-05-2012 6:43 PM In reply to

Cleviebaby:

There is another option, albeit a more expensive, non-B&O  one.  JA Michel in the UK make a fabulous looking turntable which has a design pedigree going back to the late 60s - the Gyrodec.  http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/turntables/ 

It is probalby a super turntable, this Gyrodec - might be better than a BnO. But the design...Ick!

Luckily it is possible to keep those old B&O turntables alive for decades to come, thanks to Axel, Soundsmith, etc. - and all those lovely people here on Beoworld.
    If my last Beogram broke beyond repair, and there was no other available in the world, I would rather sell my records than bring a "monster" into my house Wink  But, ofcourse -this scenario will never happen Big Smile

• 01-13-2012 3:23 PM In reply to

• paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-10-2009
    • dublin
    • Posts 130
    • Gold Member

lol @ Steffen....a bit harsh on the old Brit Gyrodeck!!

but I know what you mean - its the sheer aestitic simplicity of B&O that makes it so desirable.

Having said that, I would actually consider a Gyro as its sound is meant to be rich and deep, esp if you have the top notch Tonearm.

However, on balance, Im movibg towards a Beogram 6500 or 7000 with MMC 2....will plug directly into back of my BeoVision 7-40, so easy to set up. Cant wait to listen to DP's Made in Japan on it. or Mozart's Requiem. or Bowie's Ziggy Stardust. Ill consider a Beogram 4500 too. Think Ill speak to the guys in AV lifestyle and see whats available.

:)

P

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)