in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-23-2007 8:57 AM by Santiago. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2007 4:42 AM

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

Copy protected CDs

I have got a new CD with a copy content protection and encountered the following problem:

- Tried to play it back on my BS Ouverture - no success! Well, may be the old CD player technology of the Ouverture could not recognise it.

- Tried to play it back on my new Beosound 4 - no success either!

- Finally managed to play it back on the DVD player of my Beovision 7.

Does anybody see any logic here?

BV7-40, BC6-26, DVD2, BCordV8000, BS4, BS2, BS Ouverture, BC9500, BM8000, BCord9000, BL8000, BL6000, BL2, BL3, BVox4500, BCom6000, Beomedia1, BCom5, Serenata

• 07-13-2007 4:48 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Re: Copy protected CDs

I got exactly the same problems with my Ouverture. Sometimes it will play, but may stop in the middle of a track. I have heard of other brand cd-players that also got problems with playing copy-protected cds. One solution is to rip the cd to mp3 format, and then use a converter to convert it back into cd-format and burn it on a cd. however, some quality will be lost in this sequence.

best regards

Chr.

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-13-2007 5:06 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Best bet is to use WAV, AIFF or Apple Lossless as with all of these formats, the music is converted into a PCM waveform inside the computer's memory, and then stored in an AIFF container. By ripping with MP3, you lose quality, with WAV, AIFF or Apple Lossless, you will lose very little from the CD.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-13-2007 5:09 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

...........unless you rip to a lossless format. This is still not a very satisfactory solution however, and I would have thought that the CD manufacturers may have done more to ensure compatibility with existing players before releasing these discs onto the market.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-13-2007 5:10 AM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

ChrDH:

One solution is to rip the cd to mp3 format, and then use a converter to convert it back into cd-format and burn it on a cd. however, some quality will be lost in this sequence.

best regards

Chr.

Well , I should add in this respect that I have also tried to play this CD on my computer and no success either. So ripping was not possible either. But this is something I can understand because this is the purpose of copy protection not to allow people to rip CDs.

BV7-40, BC6-26, DVD2, BCordV8000, BS4, BS2, BS Ouverture, BC9500, BM8000, BCord9000, BL8000, BL6000, BL2, BL3, BVox4500, BCom6000, Beomedia1, BCom5, Serenata

• 07-13-2007 5:48 AM In reply to

beodim:

Well , I should add in this respect that I have also tried to play this CD on my computer and no success either. So ripping was not possible either. But this is something I can understand because this is the purpose of copy protection not to allow people to rip CDs.

Have you tried itunes? never had any problem with copy protection since i use this sw 

• 07-13-2007 5:52 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

beodim:
    ChrDH:

One solution is to rip the cd to mp3 format, and then use a converter to convert it back into cd-format and burn it on a cd. however, some quality will be lost in this sequence.

best regards

Chr.

A quick 'net search regarding ripping of said CD's will probably showWink that you can rip them with a decent burner and software.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-13-2007 6:47 AM In reply to

Welcome to the World of DRM (Digital Rights Management) and Copy Protection.

B&O sticks to the RedBook CD specifications for their audio CD players. But...CD's with copy protection are not made to the RedBook specifications. Basicly these are 12cm disks containing data which might resemble to an audio CD :-(

Some players can play them... Some don't. But it sucks.. I know...

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 07-13-2007 7:55 AM In reply to

Write to the music publishers making it very clear your view on this situation, music publications may also take it up if enough people were annoyed. Pointless system if you ask me, wont do anything to stop hardcore copyright theft, and just annoys those who buy legit audio CD's.

Ed

• 07-13-2007 8:48 AM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

What annoys me is not really a problem with data right management but that a brand new Beosound 4 is not able to read this CD while the DVD player of Beovision 7 is (although this is not its main function to play music CDs). To make a further test I have unpacked my old Denon CD player (manufactured in 1999) and it plays back this CD without any problems.

I am really wondering whether B&O puts low-end components into Beosound 4 (I think this has already been suggested in some other threads).

• 07-13-2007 8:52 AM In reply to

Don't think it's low end components, for some funy reason the cheapest of the cheapest CD players typically have a very good track rate playing damaged CDs in my experience. Did you consider returning the CD? It may be an issue with the disk itself rather then the copy protection.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-13-2007 9:22 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

My Beogram CD3500 plays all copy righted cd's even when my computer won't. I agree that you should take the disk back!

Durban South Africa

• 07-13-2007 10:10 AM In reply to

In similar cases I return the CD to the vendor as the product is not of merchantable quality. Shops don't like to give back money so they get the message. DRM=lost sales.

Gordon

• 07-13-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Which Cd was it? I've never come across a copy protected CD before. Does it say so on the cover?
  • 07-18-2007 12:18 PM In reply to

Sorry for the late reply... only just spotted your post.

I can't remember either the artist or title now... it was some time ago. It will have been a mainstream artist, Madonna or suchlike.... rather proves the point..... it got disappeared completely. 

Gordon

• 07-18-2007 1:24 PM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

<b><i>Richard Beer:
    Which Cd was it? I've never come across a copy protected CD before. Does it say so on the cover?

Copy protected CDs display a logo in shape of a triangle put in a circle and statement "Copy Controlled". In fact, I have quite a few of such CDs, e.g. all latest Depeche Mode singles have been released as copy protected. However, the one I had a problem with was Wolfsheim (a German band).

• 07-22-2007 10:04 AM In reply to

Hi together,

I encountered the same problems with my Ouverture. The worst compatibility appears with the "Copy Control" system used by BMG. The music is interrupted from time to time and the same thing happens in my car CD player. The problem is: The cheaper the CD player the less problems you encounter. High quality CD players, that have complex software to check the disk consistency and to detect errors, actually get "confused" by the non-standard copy protected CDs. But this is the original intention of the copy protection mechanism: Any PC CD drive (or it´s software) will refuse to play the disk because the software detects that there is something wrong.
    My solutions to this problem are:
    1. I no longer buy any copy protected CDs!
    2. If I get one as a present, I make a copy using my Mac - actually there are no problems ripping these CDs with Mac OS.

Hagen

• 07-22-2007 6:13 PM In reply to

Dear All:

Speaking of cd players, does anyone know the quality of cd drivers that B&O is using.  A while back, I came a cross some writing indicating that for many years now cd players are pretty much the same.  Apparently, it has been a while since manufactures have tried to improve the players.  Maybe that is why you hear of 10-30 thousand USD players that audiophiles are aching to get.  And is not only the SACD thing but the software does a better job of reading the cds.  

Can anyone shed somelight into this matter?  How 'good' are the B&O cd players?  

What's the Redbook cd?

Dario  
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 07-23-2007 8:57 AM In reply to

darioazul:
    What's the Redbook cd?

Red Book 

Santiago

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)