in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-04-2012 3:08 AM by rikarde. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-11-2011 1:35 AM

Mac LION 10.7.2 impacts Analogue/Digital audio (HDMI)

I upgraded the MacMini to OSX LION 10.7.2 and suddenly found that no audio was coming out of the BV8.

I went down a number of wrong paths (cable borken, reset microcode, HDMI cable not matching HDMI 1.4 support, etc) before discovering it was a "feechure" that Apple introduced:

hdmi sound problem began after 10.7.2 update

Nov 22, 2011 7:29 AM (in response to mwahlman)

I've now recieved a reply from one of the Senior Technical Advisors at AppleCare who was kind enough to follow up with engineering.

Apparently this change was intentional in 10.7.2 to bring the behaviour of the headphone jack in line with the experience of users who have external displays connected via Thunderbolt !

I've replied to this advice by pointing out that this change actually removes functionality that was present in 10.7.0 / 10.7.1 and requested that the issue is esculated back to engineering for further comment..

I'll post again when I recieve the next reply.

RewAU

I have my audio back, but I no longer have a software switch in LinkPlayer to go from main room audio to N-MUSIC in link rooms ... now I have to plug/unplug the BeoPort's audio jack onto the MacMini :-(

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-13-2011 5:43 AM In reply to

• RobN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Gold Member

Re: Mac LION 10.7.2 impacts Analogue/Digital audio (HDMI)

Hi Elephant,

That's very annoying for you my sympathies.

However, I don't quite understand as I've been using 10.7.2 for some time now on my MacMini which feeds digitally (optically) from the jack socket to my DacMagic then in analogue into my BeoPort and onwards into the B&O MasterLink network. Why haven't I had the same problem, or am I misunderstanding your issue?

Best

Rob

BV7-32, BL8000, BL2, BL6000, Humax, AppleTV3, MX4200, V8000, Humax, BS3200, BL6000, BL4000, BeoPort, MacMini+DACmagic 

• 12-14-2011 4:55 AM In reply to

Hi, 

what I like to have is BOTH analogue and digital paths available.

When I am in the room with the BV8 that the MacMini is connected to I usually listen via [PC] to activate LinkPlayer and listen digitally over HDMI.

But when I am in the other rooms of the house I use [N-MUSIC] to get analogue via the minijack to the BeoPort broadcast on the MasterLink.

Always happy to investigate other options ... B&O is so wonderfully rich in the way that one can connect & configure !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-19-2012 5:26 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hello,

i found your post disheartening ; i had hoped to switch between hdmi sound for media center and analog sound for n.music. did you ever fond a workaround ? do you think that apple will correct the problem ? thanks for your feedback !

- scott

• 01-19-2012 9:47 AM In reply to

scott451:

hello,

i found your post disheartening ; i had hoped to switch between hdmi sound for media center and analog sound for n.music. did you ever fond a workaround ? do you think that apple will correct the problem ? thanks for your feedback !

- scott

Hi Scott, I have been living with my workaround and I have not been testing to see if it has been fixed.  I can test on the weekend for you but I doubt it has gone away.  There is a new dot-release coming, and that may have the change we need but one is never sure when such releases will land.

• 01-20-2012 6:16 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hello,

here is another idea for a workaround, could you listen to mac mini audio by using [a-pc] on your link systems ? this assumes that you have split then dowscaled your hdmi source so it can be modulated.

i am looking at this because i do not have an audiomaster in my setup and i can not get linkplayer to work. it seems somehow less elegant than using beoport and n.music ... but any port in a storm.

what do you think ?

- scott

• 01-26-2012 12:50 AM In reply to

elephant:

scott451:

hello,

- scott

Hi Scott, I have been living with my workaround and I have not been testing to see if it has been fixed.  I can test on the weekend for you but I doubt it has gone away.  There is a new dot-release coming, and that may have the change we need but one is never sure when such releases will land.

So Scott I eventually got a moment to rewire and test the setup.

Unfortunately Mac OSX 10.7.2 still has this behaviour ... I fire up LinkPlayer and it freezes on the System Configuration Sound panel ... I unplug the mini-jack and *blip* the selection of the HDMI automagically takes off ... and sound bursts forth

I think we have to hope for the new release which seems imminent as the MacRumors posts are reporting what looks like a stable Golden Release going through final shake down testing

• 01-26-2012 12:55 AM In reply to

scott451:

hello,

here is another idea for a workaround, could you listen to mac mini audio by using [a-pc] on your link systems ? this assumes that you have split then dowscaled your hdmi source so it can be modulated.

i am looking at this because i do not have an audiomaster in my setup and i can not get linkplayer to work. it seems somehow less elegant than using beoport and n.music ... but any port in a storm.

what do you think ?

- scott

Hi, where I have gone lately is to using BM-Link via the minijack to the BeoPort and that gives me Link Room music; I have my HDMI disconnected from the MacMini and instead use the ATV2 as the BeoVision multi-media interface rather than LinkPlayer ... partially because of this Mac OSX change and partially because I am getting more out of the ATV2 these days 

• 02-02-2012 7:22 AM In reply to

elephant:

I upgraded the MacMini to OSX LION 10.7.2 and suddenly found that no audio was coming out of the BV8.

I went down a number of wrong paths (cable borken, reset microcode, HDMI cable not matching HDMI 1.4 support, etc) before discovering it was a "feechure" that Apple introduced:

hdmi sound problem began after 10.7.2 update

Nov 22, 2011 7:29 AM (in response to mwahlman)

I've now recieved a reply from one of the Senior Technical Advisors at AppleCare who was kind enough to follow up with engineering.

Apparently this change was intentional in 10.7.2 to bring the behaviour of the headphone jack in line with the experience of users who have external displays connected via Thunderbolt !

I've replied to this advice by pointing out that this change actually removes functionality that was present in 10.7.0 / 10.7.1 and requested that the issue is esculated back to engineering for further comment..

I'll post again when I recieve the next reply.

RewAU

I have my audio back, but I no longer have a software switch in LinkPlayer to go from main room audio to N-MUSIC in link rooms ... now I have to plug/unplug the BeoPort's audio jack onto the MacMini :-(

Just upgraded to 10.7.3 and I regret to report that the problem still exists ... the behaviour has changed, the System Preferences no longer stays frozen on the screen, however the actual switch over to HDMI when you have the mini-jack plugged in still does not happen

:-( 

• 02-03-2012 2:16 AM In reply to

I have the same type of problem (without the Beoport). I want sound out from the macmini to go two ways just like you. Either trough the hdmi to the tv. Or to a.aux/ something like that. 

I have tried using the a-pc command, this works for 10 min at a time. I will try some other commands this weekend. 

One problem with the mac is that all sound goes out one way. If HDMI is connected to my beovision the setup in the mac is sound ut - Beovision. You cant choose two sound outputs (Beovision & usb audio). 

I also have the latest software in my mac.. 

BeoCenter 2, Beovision 10-46, BeoLab3, BeoLab4000, BeoLab3500, Beo4

• 02-03-2012 10:31 PM In reply to

rikarde:

I have tried using the a-pc command, this works for 10 min at a time. I will try some other commands this weekend. 

I got A-PC working from the link room - tried it several times, and on the current test we are up to song five, so well past your 10 minute experience.

I prefer using N-MUSIC to A-PC simply because then LinkPlayer sends the track data to my BeoSound 4's display 

I am still convinced there was a B&O update for broadcasting digital sound on the MasterLink but I can't find that thread

• 02-04-2012 3:08 AM In reply to

I solved the problem with only music 5-10 min. I removed the screensaver and the setting that the screen can go to a savings mode. Then the A-pc command worked. But I cant use the a-pc in my link room, when I press a-pc the speaker gets wierd and I have to remove the powercord, then it works correct again. Maybe I have an old software. 

I will maybe try a peoport or something again in the future so I can use the n.music and n.radio to get all nice radiostations :) 

BeoCenter 2, Beovision 10-46, BeoLab3, BeoLab4000, BeoLab3500, Beo4

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)