in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-16-2011 4:40 PM by Søren Mexico. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-14-2011 7:35 PM

Beogram 2400 noise . . . belt related?

Hello . . . I guess after fixing one problem with my 2400 (tone arm not raising/lowering properly) I'm ready to tackle another, lesser one.

There is a slight 'grinding' noise coming from underneath the platter that I'm thinking is belt related.  It comes once about ever 3.5 seconds or so on the 33 setting.  I lift the platter and nothing seems to be rubbing, but the noise is still there.

I don't know what the parts are in here, so please bear with me.  There is a brass pully coming off the motor, a belt coming off that, and . . . I don't know what to call it . . . a larger 'flywheel' the belt spins that turns the platter.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  Or hope so.

The noise doesn't seem to be synched up with that larger flywheel.  So I don't think it's a matter of it rubbing on anything.

The belt comes off the brass pully fine, but I notice that it connects fairly high up on the flywheel . . . not in the middle . . . but close to where it meets the base wood above.  When I lift the belt up towards the middle of the flywheel, the noise seems to go away.  Then the belt migrates back to the 'high' position and the rubbing sound returns.

Is there a common problem like this with Beograms?  One that has a simple fix by any chance?  It's not a huge issue, but I would like a quieter table.

• 11-16-2011 2:41 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 2400 noise . . . belt related?

Are the transport screws fully released? It sounds like that or a related problem to me, such as the suspension has dropped somewhat & may need adjusting - this would be another likely suspect.

Both of the above would give you this type of problem. Slacking suspension springs IS fairly common with aging beograms of this type.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-16-2011 4:40 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 2400 noise . . . belt related?

Agree with Chris, and remember, only with the platter on the flywheel, the flywheel will have the correct hight.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)