in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-15-2007 11:06 AM by The Stig - ver. 1.7. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-10-2007 4:27 PM

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

The death of an MX4500... (not the most joy-full reading)

Some days ago I brought home my parent's old MX4500. It had been sitting in their garage for some weeks. It had developed quite soft pictures so my parents bought a Phillips LCD instead. That left me with a MX4500. When I got it home and plugged it in and turned it on, it went bang, I opened it and there was a large spark right beside what I thing is the high voltage parts in the main board. A piece of plastic stopped that short-cut, and now the TV can turn on, but the screen is blue or white all the time and all sorts of tiny sparks is developing at the end of the picture tube (electron gun) and it startet to smell a bit odd.

So, what to do... I am to sentimental to bin the set, but on the other hand a used and working MX6000 can be picked up for around £200 here in Denmark so spending money to repair a 20 years old tv is probably not the best idea. Am I overlooking some solutions here? Does anyone have a fix to the problems of my MX?

Any help is much appreciated.

best regards

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-10-2007 4:33 PM In reply to

Re: The death of an MX4500... (not the most joy-full reading)

Probably the ground cable between chassis and tube is not connected...
  • 07-10-2007 4:37 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

aha, unfortunately I am not that technital, where will I find the ground cable? from where does it run and where on the chassi should it connect?

thanks

Christian

• 07-10-2007 4:45 PM In reply to

Diagonal across the tube is a strong metall wire. And around the chassis is a metal frame. These parts have to be connected by a wire.  
  • 07-10-2007 5:00 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Thanks. The metal wire seems to run in a V-shape, connected to the metal frame by a hook in on end and by a spring in the other end. I do not see a wire, besides the one running from the metal wire to the end of the picture tube, am I overlooking a wire? It could be something had come loose during the car ride. Still lots of sparks at the solderings on the boards on the end of the picture tube.

best regards

Christian

• 07-11-2007 5:29 AM In reply to

Hi Christian, you're right: MX4500 isn't worth spendin money on these days but if it looks nice and was from first owner and has 'emotional' value for you....all can be fixed.

However, i have to warn you if you're not experienced with fixing tv's ask someone to do it for you !!
    But i'll tell you what needs to be done: on the board at the back of the picture tube you see 1 or 2 black wires (one comes from the metal clip on the side of the tube you mentioned....).
    Close to this connection on this board (and connected to this wire) is a 10 ohm resistor (it's linked to the ground of the board), guaranteed this one is broken, replace it (costs around a euro or so ??) and most likely your MX will see (or give) the light again :).

But in any case you should get the HT transformer replaced, costs for an imitation one (i know the type but have to look it up if you need it) is about 30 euros, should take less than half hour work if one has the correct tools (and if not: don't even bother....).

The 'blurred' picture: clean behind the glass and usually this gives an amazing result already.... (i can tell you how but maybe you know already how to remove the glass etc.

Now if you really like to get it 'as good as it get's, here's the 'nasty' (pricey) bit: check the speakers, usually their foam surroundings are rotten, replacement speakers avaiable from B&O but cost 25,- euro each !!

Than a common thing is leaking or bad NiCad batteries, one to be found on the main board, one small one on the teletext board, if these have all kinds of nastiness growing out of them: replacement should be roughly 6 euros each.

Now if you clean the set inside an ouside and check for weak solderings a sort of 'renovation' is done :).

It looks like a whole lot but isn't too bad, if the parts are still worth buying is up to you obviously (i would say let it depend on the quality of the picture, after cleaning the glass of course...) but the fix of the resistor is cheap and easy :)....
  • 07-11-2007 5:35 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

ipaul.
    What a nice straight-forward, informative and helpful post!
    Even I followed it and I am not technicaly minded.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-11-2007 5:43 AM In reply to

:) Thanks, so now we'll have lots of aged MX's being given the kiss of life now ??? :):)

But yeah, there are still lots of these around with the same problems, i guess with this info people can judge if they wish to spend money on it or not....i would say if one decides to fix it: go all the way (with the things i mentioned) because otherwise in a short while the next problems pop up.
    (but 'economically' speaking: it ain't worth it.....).

• 07-11-2007 6:48 PM In reply to

Hej Christian

Skriver lige på dansk det jeg bedst til, jeg vil ikke anbefalde dig og begynde og lave en MX4500 eller MX5000. for det første er det ikke et B&O tv men SHARP og alle dem jeg har set. de sidste par år er slidt ned... Når man har reparet en fejl er der kommet to ny, fordi printene er så møre, efter 20 års brug. hvis det er et pænt tv ville jeg købe en grim mx6000 også flytte de udvendige dele over. MX5500 og op efter er gode B&O tv som de selv har lavet elektroniken i. meget bedre i sidste ende også har du to skart stik og link mulighed, MS og LS er også gode bare uden link og kun et skart stik. sidst er der ME og LE som er med philips indmad så heller ikke lige min kop te :) 

MVH

Radio Mekanikeren

• 07-12-2007 4:38 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

I am truly overwhelmed by all your enthusiasm, suggestions and sympathy, many thanks to both bang1, ipaul and the rest of you guys!

As I am not wizard with a soldering iron, perhaps I will get a friend of mine (an electrician) to replace the 10 ohm resistor and see if that changes the matter. Under all circumstances, I will keep the beauty; at least as a sculpture (although SWMBO is not very happy, but then I introduced her to the idea of a used Avant 28 inch, and then the MX/LX solution apparently was the latter of two evils…). Hopefully I can lay my hands on a whiteline LX2802 that one of my colleagues is not using at the moment.

Bang1’s idea of using the external parts on a MX6000 is not a bad one, I have thought if that myself. But as a used Avant is the same price as a used MX6000, the Avant solution is tempting.

By the way, as I got a Beocenter 9000, I suppose I could use the MX4500 as a link speaker (connected by a datalink-cable) with the picture tube turned off, what combination on a BL1000 would turn on the radio via the speakers of the MX4500?

Thanks once again!

Chr.

• 07-12-2007 11:48 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Problem solved, just bought a used MX6000 with new BL 1000 for the sum of £200, more will follow, i am wery happy now...Big Smile

Chr.

• 07-12-2007 2:56 PM In reply to

Just the way to go Wink

• 07-13-2007 3:53 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Actually, I was just going to buy an almost new BL 1000 for £35, that a private person had for sale in the area where I live. But when I showed up it turned out that he also had a mx6000 for sale for about  £140. So I took the offer, and arranged him to drive the television home to me in his BMW 540 (nice car). The MX6000 is from 1994, so I suppose it is an mk1, but does anyone know? The software version is 1.1.

I have hooked it up to my ouverture via a standard din cable and the aux-port of the ouverture, works just fine so I do not see any reason to buy the 1614 converter.

The MX6000 is black, while my faulty mx4500 is white. I am going to keep the mx4500 for spares, and then I can always change the cabinet of the mx6000 into white if a whish. The picture of the mx6000 is just spot on, and the sound is brilliant, can’t see how the mx700 can be that much better but I have never really compared them in test.

best regards

Chr.

• 07-14-2007 8:04 PM In reply to

Well there are no resent to find out before you come across a cheap MX7000Stick out tongue

Give me the type number then I can tell you what it isSmile

• 07-15-2007 7:02 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

I suppose the sound of the MX 6000 could need some 'clarity ', and the bass responce could be better, but hey, it is miles away from my old 28'' Nokia TV. The MX7000 probably got a better bassresponce as it got active speakers. But the actual speaker units are the same right? Only the amp and circuts differ? Only problem is, MX7000 are not that cheap yet (compared to the mx6000). The MX7000 are starting from £400 on dba.dk . My next step is the motor table stand, but they seem quite rare.

My MX6000 says 33/14 EDT SW 1.1 on the sticker on the back.

thanks

Chr.

• 07-15-2007 11:06 AM In reply to

It's an MrkII and SW 1,1 is the last released, I had the tabke stand for my Mx8000 looks very nice I think
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)